• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVVF mentioned in interesting blog on CHR stations

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
Mea culpa time...

I was dead wrong regarding the viability of this station. I said at the time a CHR format laced with a few Spanish language songs an hour would not work. The failed Radio H20 in Dallas was the main reason for my opinion. Clearly, I was wrong. Hot's format shift has proven successful, at least ratings wise.

Mea culpa time...

I was dead wrong regarding the viability of this station. I said at the time a CHR format laced with a few Spanish language songs an hour would not work. The failed Radio H20 in Dallas was the main reason for my opinion. Clearly, I was wrong. Hot's format shift has proven successful, at least ratings wise.

You have re-inforced what's wrong with radio these days. Radio used to have "local" PD's, responsponsible for programming "for the market". More and more broadcasters try to program drawing from the experience in other markets. What works in San Jose doesn't always work in Dallas and vice versa. KSOL, Wild and even KHQT (Hott 97.7) did this back in the day and found sucess. Albeit, there wasn't PPM back in the day...

You have re-inforced what's wrong with radio these days. Radio used to have "local" PD's, responsponsible for programming "for the market". More and more broadcasters try to program drawing from the experience in other markets. What works in San Jose doesn't always work in Dallas and vice versa. KSOL, Wild and even KHQT (Hott 97.7) did this back in the day and found sucess. Albeit, there wasn't PPM back in the day...

I'm in total agreement with you.

25 years ago, a broadcaster trying to save some money was caught in a 5 way AC race. They had a pretty good sounding Hot AC, but they didn't have the budget to do a proper research project. So they took a format finder study from another market (for a station that they opted not to change a few years before) and tried to apply its results there. The station tanked and they sold it in a fire sale.

There are far more cookie-cutter format failures than successes in this business. Either you program for the local market or you flip formats every couple of years. You either spend the money now or later, but sooner or later it costs you money.

There are far more cookie-cutter format failures than successes in this business. Either you program for the local market or you flip formats every couple of years. You either spend the money now or later, but sooner or later it costs you money.

Exactly!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom