• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Sound 94.1 now in top 10 6+ per March Ratings

discjockeyj1964

New Participating Member
KSWD continues its upward climb to be #10 in the March PPM's just released. The 6+ numbers had The Sound only .8 or 8/10th of a share behind Warm 106.9, and ahead of "Star 101.5." Advertisers don't buy 6+ numbers, but Inside Radio reports that The Sound is now #8 in women 25-49 and #7 in women 25-54 at a 5 share. A remarkable accomplishment for a station only 3 1/2 months old. Though the main buy for advertisers is 18-49. The strength of women 25-49 should help The Sound generate some decent revenue going forward.

Top 5 6+: KQMV, KUOW, KIRO FM, KISW, KZOK.

The Smooth Jazz station KFNY still is pulling in 75,500 listeners weekly.

Link to ratings, though you have to sign up for a free account: http://www.stationratings.com/sr_ratings.aspx?market=39

At the bottom of the barrel, i'm surprised K-Love is beating out KEXP.

And the format-du-jour on 98.9 is treading water. An all-traffic format (KARR 2.0?) would pull those numbers.

KARR has an Eastside translator on 98.5 that still plays Howard Camping's Greatest Hits to the rest of us remaining unraptured rejects.

A TV campaign for 98.9 might be in order because by this point, they should have made a much bigger dent than they have. I also get the feeling not many know of KNUC's existence.

A TV campaign for 98.9 might be in order because by this point, they should have made a much bigger dent than they have. I also get the feeling not many know of KNUC's existence.

I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this, but their morning show hasn't debuted yet.

You don't spend lots of marketing money until all the pieces are in place.

If they're willing to wait several months to get a morning team, I doubt it's for the short term.

At the bottom of the barrel, i'm surprised K-Love is beating out KEXP.

I'm curious at how KWPZ always ends up at the bottom of the pile.

If they're willing to wait several months to get a morning team, I doubt it's for the short term.

They're not "willing to wait". Factoria flipped formats on an impulse. Their St. Louis sister station sent programming until they got their act together locally. That's why it took so long to get the morning show in place. Plus who would want to come work somewhere where management's past decisions based on whims could cost you your job?

Give it a year tops. The format wheel will spin by then. And the morning show will make its triumphant return to Savannah.

Though the main buy for advertisers is 18-49.

Not really. Most agency buys are all of or some part of 25-54. TV is 18-49, and for some reason the two OTA services are bought slightly differently.

There are many 18-34 buys, and there are also 18-49 buys; in Hispanic and African American targeted campaigns 18-49 is the more important demo due to the younger age of those population groups.

But even more specific subsets are often used, like Women 25-44 or Men 35-54. In LA we see "Hispanic Spanish Dominant Females 25-34" and the like. After all, 25-54 is really not an affinity group; someone observed that it is almost two generations wide. That is why we have stations targeting the younger end, the middle and the older segment of the 18-54 spectrum where most buys occur with ratings-driven advertisers.

I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this, but their morning show hasn't debuted yet.

You don't spend lots of marketing money until all the pieces are in place.

Just sayin' it could be a help. People usually don't find radio stations on their own anymore. I think KSWD had the benefit of being a former ratings leader prior to making an initial shock with Christmas and then the early format flip, which has helped them get where they are. KNUC doesn't have that benefit, being a previous also-ran to KISW and KZOK few people knew about.

That's why it took so long to get the morning show in place.

Not exactly. It took so long because the morning show was still under contract until the end of April.

Winter is typically a down time for the country format. Things are about to get busy with the summer tours.

Tim Leary is very popular with the big stars, and I expect they will all want to chat with him when he starts next month.

Just sayin' it could be a help. People usually don't find radio stations on their own anymore.

As I said, once the morning show is in town, you will see a lot more marketing.

The difference between the two stations that debuted on the same day is in The Sound having a plan and a TV campaign, whereas the folks at 98.9 were scrambling to figure out who are Kelsea Ballerini and Jason Aldean.

NOW how many folks still insist Entercom made a mistake with 94.1?

How many of those KSWD listeners are below age 40? Just asking. I'm guessing most of the Sound's listeners are in the 45-55 age bracket, leaning older. Still, 106.9 better watch out...'relaxing favorites at work' seems to be working for now.
It's also great that KFNY is getting quite a bit of listenership even with a placeholder format.

The difference between the two stations that debuted on the same day is in The Sound having a plan and a TV campaign, whereas the folks at 98.9 were scrambling to figure out who are Kelsea Ballerini and Jason Aldean.

NOW how many folks still insist Entercom made a mistake with 94.1?

You forgot to mention that Entercom also had the luxury of knowing for months what they were going to do formatically which helps. Whoever their research co was that found that hole in the market knew what they were doing. I definitely didn't think this was a viable format, and so far it looks like it might be. I say might, because while the 6+ numbers look good for KSWD they ignore some potential long-term issues...namely that 48% of their AQH persons are age 55+. When half of your audience is older than most avail demos, that's a bad thing. They're sitting at #11t Women 25-54 in prime in March behind such female powerhouses as KISW and KIRO-FM. My point here is that 6+ numbers mean nothing (if I say it enough, maybe it will sink in), and it's way too early to judge whether or not the flip was a success or mistake.

On the Hubbard angle, they saw minor growth in March and still have a LOT of wood to chop with KNUC. That said, I don't understand why people on this board think they impulsively jumped into a format-of-the-week situation. Everyone knew that if/when KMPS left country someone was going to fill that hole. iHeart had plans to take a station country but Hubbard flipped the switch before iHeart even had control of KJAQ and KZOK. They rightfully saw that the rock format wasn't working on 98.9 and that country was a good compliment to their group, and they got it done quickly. Of course it's going to take KNUC longer to ramp up because Entercom had a 6-month head start in planning. Point being, it's still too early to judge either of these stations. Give it another year and then we'll know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom