Heavy DXing/Tropo This Morning

Thread: Heavy DXing/Tropo This Morning

Heavy DXing/Tropo This Morning

Lots of distant stations coming in this morning around the metro area. What was special about today’s weather that caused this?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioDoogie View Post
    Lots of distant stations coming in this morning around the metro area. What was special about today’s weather that caused this?
    What distant stations did you receive?
    Plugged into the electric radio

One was WQIL/Chauncey, GA which is a top 40 station near Dublin, GA. WOOF in Dothan was actually trying to fight with Q100. US101 in Chattanooga. WDOD 96.5/Chattanooga. WSSL was wrestling with Rock 100.5. However something else was wrestling with 100.5. Was playing Don Henley’s “Heart of the Matter.” I had a hard time finding a surrounding 100.5 station elsewhere. Possibly WOYS/Apalachicola, FL or WQPD/Marion, SC or WJRL/Dothan. These don’t put out a lot of power though.

FMs all.
    Plugged into the electric radio

I was driving west of Atlanta this morning in Cobb County and WTVY out of Dothan, Alabama was completely covering up WSBB at 95.5. Not one squeak from WSBB! It didn't get better until I was at I-285.
    Dothan is 250 miles south, southwest of Atlanta...

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    I was driving west of Atlanta this morning in Cobb County and WTVY out of Dothan, Alabama was completely covering up WSBB at 95.5. Not one squeak from WSBB! It didn't get better until I was at I-285.
    Dothan is 250 miles south, southwest of Atlanta...
    Yeap! My commute is from Duluth to Alpharetta (North Point Pkwy) and as I turned off of Old Milton onto North Point Pkwy, in the trees, I noticed 95.5 started to pop a bit. Listenable but I remember wondering if they were on reduced power this morning.

Driving up 515 this AM all the Atlanta FM signals struggled and died just north of Jasper. 106.5 (Chattanooga) and 106.7 were pure static. 97.1 was not working either. 106.9 stopped my radio’s scan. They were playing classic rock. I assume it was WBPT Homewood (Birmingham). They were very strong from the 101.1 tower to Blue Ridge.