Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2018

Thread: Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2018

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: March 2018

The March 2018 ratings March 1 - March 28
    https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb007

https://www.allaccess.com/nielsen#9

. Any thoughts?
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

What accounts for the fluctuations at WOGL? Is it more the result of what they're doing or of what other stations are doing? Maybe people are really ready for an '80s station (just as I am ready for a '90s station).

When's the last time KYW was at 6.0? Is it because we've had so much late snow?

WISX continues a slow climb. I wonder how this format is doing for them revenue-wise (versus the previous format).

Aside from the much-anticipated interception at WIP, not much else interesting there.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    There are a few parallels between the PHL and the NYC books.

WBEB and WLTW have done their expected post-Holiday swoons, but not as precipitously as I recall in the past. They're solid at #1.

KYW and WINS both had wonderful books as well. Miguelito might be as on-target about the snow as the forecasters in both markets were.

I was always curious about WIOQ's somewhat lethargic books in recent years, though. NYC's same-company WHTZ is always hovering in Top Five territory, even on Long Island. Yet, WIOQ gets the 3's. Can anyone suggest why the falloff ?

I just looked over their book to see if I could come up with a theory but all I ended up doing was scratching my head and saying, "Yeah, why does their CHR do better than ours?" Especially considering they have two other CHR's that collectively get 7.0, two Hot AC's that collectively get 4.8, a Tropical station actually gets 4.3 (ours gets less than half-a-share), and also a Spanish Contemporary station that gets 2.7. In other words, WHTZ has more (more-or-less) demo competition than WIOQ, yet Z gets 4.7 while Q gets 3.5.

Is Philly an older skewing market? Or are fewer young people in Philly listening to the radio compared to NYC? The stations ranked above Q102 are mostly older-skewing stations, with maybe the exceptions of WMMR and WXTU, but even those aren't as youth-oriented as Q102 or several lower-rated stations.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    I just looked over their book to see if I could come up with a theory but all I ended up doing was scratching my head and saying, "Yeah, why does their CHR do better than ours?" Especially considering they have two other CHR's that collectively get 7.0, two Hot AC's that collectively get 4.8, a Tropical station actually gets 4.3 (ours gets less than half-a-share), and also a Spanish Contemporary station that gets 2.7. In other words, WHTZ has more (more-or-less) demo competition than WIOQ, yet Z gets 4.7 while Q gets 3.5.
    New York is about 26% Hispanic, with a much larger portion of the Spanish dominant Hispanics under age 55 than in Philadelphia (which has a very much lower percentage of Hispanics).

In New York and Philadelphia, you have fairly comparable Persons Using Radio levels. New York's top 10 in that demo are Z-100, Hot, Power, WLTW, KTU, CBS-FM, Alt, WINS, WBLS and WCBS. The newsers did will in the March book due to the unusual weather.

WBEB
    WMMR
    WUSL
    WRFF
    WIOQ
    WDAS
    WMGK
    WOGL
    WXTU
    WISX
    WIP

Philadelphila is 62% non-Hispanic white, while in New York, the figure is 44%. The differing ethnicity affects not only the stations listened to, but the overall taste of the market.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.