Someone Donated $10 Million To KEXP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone Donated $10 Million To KEXP

I may be in the minority here, but I don't "get" KEXP. It just sounds like a slickly-produced big-town college station. Heck, amongst folks my age (30s), I hear people raving about KEXP, yet I never hear anyone listening to it. They must be like Pacifica: Extremely niche programming with a few extremely loyal listeners. Unlike Pacifica, they listen to their supporters and the supporters return the favor with financial stability.

That being said, I'll take KGRG/KGRG1 streaming up here any day over KEXP. They seem to do way more with way less.

Archie B.
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    That being said, I'll take KGRG/KGRG1 streaming up here any day over KEXP. They seem to do way more with way less.

Archie B.
    Oh just stifle!!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't "get" KEXP. It just sounds like a slickly-produced big-town college station. Heck, amongst folks my age (30s), I hear people raving about KEXP, yet I never hear anyone listening to it.

-snip-

Archie B.
    I also prefer KGRG-1 (where else can you hear old school grunge 24/7?), but KEXP plays some cool stuff, especially at night.

The fact you hear no one listening to them doesn't mean they don't have a listenership, as the ratings usually show.

KEXP plays new music from bands you'll be hearing on commercial radio 6 months to three years from now. KEXP was playing Portugal The Man years before KQMV. If you want to get an idea of what alternative/pop music will sound like in the next few years, a listen to any of the new acts on the morning/midday shows will keep you ahead of the curve.

KGRG-FM does the same for KISW.
    I do not have ducks.
    I do not have a row.
    I have squirrels and they're at a rave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    KEXP plays new music from bands you'll be hearing on commercial radio 6 months to three years from now. KEXP was playing Portugal The Man years before KQMV. If you want to get an idea of what alternative/pop music will sound like in the next few years, a listen to any of the new acts on the morning/midday shows will keep you ahead of the curve.

KGRG-FM does the same for KISW.
    Same as it ever was.... KJET did the same thing back in the 80's bands played there were years away from being played on "commercial" radio. "Collage Radio" as it was once referred to ( CMJ was a great rag as well ) was where you'd always find the best new music and artists.

Part of KEXP's reach is due to their video & studio sessions. I've seen these go viral among fans that likely don't listen much to KEXP as "radio" but still are engaged by their content.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Travis View Post
    Part of KEXP's reach is due to their video & studio sessions. I've seen these go viral among fans that likely don't listen much to KEXP as "radio" but still are engaged by their content.
    You're exactly right. KEXP has always used their digital platform far more efficiently than other stations (as well as innovated it along the way.)
    I do not have ducks.
    I do not have a row.
    I have squirrels and they're at a rave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12