• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Someone Donated $10 Million To KEXP

How about declining the $2,000,000 it gets every year from the University of Washington and give it back to us taxpayers? Better yet, direct it to help fix the homeless problem?

Nah, who are we kidding? It'll go to line the pockets of those who plead KEXP's poverty in the form of more donations.

Better yet, direct it to help fix the homeless problem?

Amen to that! Hey wait, wasn't the tax revenue from legalized pot sales supposed to go toward that, or fixing dilapidated bridges and infrastructure? Who knows where all that money is going! Radio-Radio.

What makes you think the University would give it back to the taxpayers?

Giving it back to the taxpayers doesn't mean having some giant check photo-op. Besides, strictly by the numbers, it's 27 cents per Washington state resident.

It would be better served by putting that money into scholarships for deserving, underprivileged and non-athletic kids in the state.

Amen to that! Hey wait, wasn't the tax revenue from legalized pot sales supposed to go toward that, or fixing dilapidated bridges and infrastructure? Who knows where all that money is going! Radio-Radio.

Bridges and infrastructure, such as the I-5 repaving and retrofitting this summer, are federal funds. Tolling, gas taxes and license tab renewals should be going to infrastructure.

I don't care about marijuana, but I would hope the money is going to social programs or at least the State's general fund.

KKMO.

Well, not ALL of it. That I-502 money goes to Medicaid and community health centers such as Sea-Mar, which services low income folks. And Sea-Mar owns KKMO. With a chunk set aside in the "Rainy Day" fund.

It would be better served by putting that money into scholarships for deserving, underprivileged and non-athletic kids in the state.

You probably have more information on this, but KEXP says most of the university support is "in kind contribution," which isn't actual money. Perhaps interns, volunteer time, tower space, and things like that.

I'll take the 27 cents

I may be in the minority here, but I don't "get" KEXP. It just sounds like a slickly-produced big-town college station. Heck, amongst folks my age (30s), I hear people raving about KEXP, yet I never hear anyone listening to it. They must be like Pacifica: Extremely niche programming with a few extremely loyal listeners. Unlike Pacifica, they listen to their supporters and the supporters return the favor with financial stability.

That being said, I'll take KGRG/KGRG1 streaming up here any day over KEXP. They seem to do way more with way less.

Archie B.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't "get" KEXP. It just sounds like a slickly-produced big-town college station. Heck, amongst folks my age (30s), I hear people raving about KEXP, yet I never hear anyone listening to it.

-snip-

That being said, I'll take KGRG/KGRG1 streaming up here any day over KEXP. They seem to do way more with way less.

Archie B.

I also prefer KGRG-1 (where else can you hear old school grunge 24/7?), but KEXP plays some cool stuff, especially at night.

The fact you hear no one listening to them doesn't mean they don't have a listenership, as the ratings usually show.

KEXP plays new music from bands you'll be hearing on commercial radio 6 months to three years from now. KEXP was playing Portugal The Man years before KQMV. If you want to get an idea of what alternative/pop music will sound like in the next few years, a listen to any of the new acts on the morning/midday shows will keep you ahead of the curve.

KGRG-FM does the same for KISW.

KEXP plays new music from bands you'll be hearing on commercial radio 6 months to three years from now. KEXP was playing Portugal The Man years before KQMV. If you want to get an idea of what alternative/pop music will sound like in the next few years, a listen to any of the new acts on the morning/midday shows will keep you ahead of the curve.

KGRG-FM does the same for KISW.

Same as it ever was.... KJET did the same thing back in the 80's bands played there were years away from being played on "commercial" radio. "Collage Radio" as it was once referred to ( CMJ was a great rag as well ) was where you'd always find the best new music and artists.

Part of KEXP's reach is due to their video & studio sessions. I've seen these go viral among fans that likely don't listen much to KEXP as "radio" but still are engaged by their content.

Part of KEXP's reach is due to their video & studio sessions. I've seen these go viral among fans that likely don't listen much to KEXP as "radio" but still are engaged by their content.

You're exactly right. KEXP has always used their digital platform far more efficiently than other stations (as well as innovated it along the way.)

So why can't a station with a 10 million endowment stay on the air? You would think they could spend a little money at the transmitter. Kinda embarrassing if you ask me.

I know stations owned by big multi-million dollar corporations that have been down for more than 90 minutes.

Give them a break. I'm sure their listeners did.

I know stations owned by big multi-million dollar corporations that have been down for more than 90 minutes.

Give them a break. I'm sure their listeners did.

Lighten up, Francis. Steve's just dissin' a fellow engineer. But I have to admit that CF card should've been pulled out of service years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom