WPTF Transmitter Site - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WPTF Transmitter Site

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    I had an old Sparta four pot console at the WGTO, Cypress Gardens, FL transmitter. We rack-mounted it and used it when we were transmitter-testing during maintenance periods. You can see the console in this photo:
    Looks like an Ampex reel-to-reel (mono)??
    Always figured WGTO had to have MASSIVE coverage.....50kw @ 540....with a flat, moist ground system....
    Never was able to pick it up in NH....and never been to FL.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    I had an old Sparta four pot console at the WGTO, Cypress Gardens, FL transmitter. We rack-mounted it and used it when we were transmitter-testing during maintenance periods. You can see the console in this photo:
    Had a few of those at small market AM stations for production use. AM RF was always a problem - most of the production was done at night after sign off.

RFB
    Last edited by rfburns; 04-16-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    RFB

The TV station(s) I was with in the 1990's used those little Spartas in the edit bays. My background was radio -and audio- so I would be the only one who cared enough to go clean up the pots after hearing some packages hit the air with distorted or noisy audio in them. Being the only maintenance engineer in a TV station who cared about audio was a thankless task. I re-capped the largest McMartin console I've ever seen over the course of a weekend there. Some of the stuff I found inside that thing would have turned your stomach.
    -D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12