• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLTR 94.1's Construction Permit Status

The Rimshot

Leading Participant
Was KLTR's construction permit application to upgrade from 6k to 50k ever granted by the FCC?

Does KLTR have a 50 dBu coverage area from Katy to College Station?

Westsiders, how far does KLTR's 40 dBu strength enter into Houston?

Was KLTR's construction permit application to upgrade from 6k to 50k ever granted by the FCC?

Does KLTR have a 50 dBu coverage area from Katy to College Station?

Westsiders, how far does KLTR's 40 dBu strength enter into Houston?

50 dbu is pretty much outside "real" usage levels for stations. 95% of all at home and at work listening occurs inside the 65 dbu contour, and in-car listening is mostly in the 60, although we all know from experience that down to about 54 dbu does provide usually good but not 100% reliable in-car reception.

Ok cool thanks. I should be able to pull it in via my car radio in Katy and maybe even to Antoine and I-10.

It appears you are forgetting about K231CN (SportsMap 94.1) which occupies the frequency in Houston metro.

The new KLTR transmitter site is a few miles east of Brenham, and should provide a listenable signal as far east as the Grand Parkway in NW Harris County. However past that it will clash with K231CN, and be overwhelmed by SportsMap inside Beltway 8.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the upgraded KLTR. The station owner is notorious for sitting on CPs for years, as well as long silent periods for some of his stations.

It appears you are forgetting about K231CN (SportsMap 94.1) which occupies the frequency in Houston metro.

The new KLTR transmitter site is a few miles east of Brenham, and should provide a listenable signal as far east as the Grand Parkway in NW Harris County. However past that it will clash with K231CN, and be overwhelmed by SportsMap inside Beltway 8.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the upgraded KLTR. The station owner is notorious for sitting on CPs for years, as well as long silent periods for some of his stations.

I did forget about K231CN, thank you.

It looks like the two stations will clash in between 99 and Beltway 8.

Roy E Henderson is notorious for sitting on CPs for years, this is also true. The one station that truly exemplifies that is KEMA 94.5FM in Kenedy. This station can only be heard if you are driving in Karnes County, yet it shows a usable signal as far north as La Vernia and as far south as Mathis.

Roy E Henderson is notorious for sitting on CPs for years, this is also true. The one station that truly exemplifies that is KEMA 94.5FM in Kenedy. This station can only be heard if you are driving in Karnes County, yet it shows a usable signal as far north as La Vernia and as far south as Mathis.

He has also ruined a few successful stations. He bought WLDR in Traverse City, MI (100kW) for $3.6 million in 2001. He would be lucky to get $500,000 for it today since it is an afterthought in its market and doesn't run anywhere near full power (I've had it overrun by the 101.9 from Wausau, WI as close as Empire, MI). He's also kept WBNZ, WCUZ, and WOUF mostly silent for years (with them mostly simulcasting WLDR when on).

Last time I was able to get KEMA it was overdriven and very weak. I didn't know it was KEMA at first because they rarely ID.

KLTR 94.1 is, in fact under construction I am told. In fact, I am also aware K231CN, even now in its current broadcast state, can be heard with clarity at the KLTR 94.1 current transmitter site, when KLTR is momentarily turned off!! It operates non-directional (when it is licensed highly directional) and causes much interference to KLTR and also KQXY 94.1 in Beaumont. The Commission has a complaint before it.

KLTR 94.1 is, in fact under construction I am told. In fact, I am also aware K231CN, even now in its current broadcast state, can be heard with clarity at the KLTR 94.1 current transmitter site, when KLTR is momentarily turned off!! It operates non-directional (when it is licensed highly directional) and causes much interference to KLTR and also KQXY 94.1 in Beaumont. The Commission has a complaint before it.
Overpowered and non directional? Anyone near South Houston? How does KBIH-LP fare vs K231CN? KBIH should be solid starting at the 610 loop all the way to El Dorado Blvd.

Speaking of Brenham station upgrades: Wonder if any progress is being made on the CP for the KWHI 1280 power increase? New daytime site between Brooshire and Hempstead running a directional 3.8kw that should provide a decent signal over NW Houston metro while preserving coverage of Brenham itself. Nights will be unchanged from the current site, running 72 watts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom