• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDGE

PettyOfficer

Inactive
Inactive User
So, I was driving home from work and decided to get my workout radio in. Well, I tuned to 102.1 HD-2 only to hear the Edge so the Edge has been reincarnationed to their HD-2 signal. Don't know if I should be happy or sad. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the info! I just tuned it in and so far I am impressed. I wish they'd move it back FM and put Star on HD-2. We could have an ALT vs Edge war...

Link to what is airing on KDGE-HD2:

https://www.iheart.com/live/rock-workout-radio-7800/

Link to add to a media player playlist (copy + paste text only between the arrows):

>>http://c9.prod.playlists.ihrhls.com/7800_icy<<

It is iHeart Radio's "Rock Workout Radio Live" channel which has been on KDGE-HD2 since 2/1/2018.

Similar to other iHeart Radio online digital stations, it is given a slot on an HD2 (or HD3) channel in the iHeart stable
of stations so it can qualify for "over-the-air" status, thus lowering the rates iHeart has to pay for music royalties.

I don't have an HD radio but I'm guessing that it's just a mainstream/active rock station on HD2 and not alternative, right? Have they used the name "102.1 The Edge" on that station? So far online, I heard Aerosmith and I know the Edge never played Aerosmith.

If I would want the Edge to come back, I hope it's just 80s/90s rock alternative with some 2000s. Leave the newer music to Alt instead.

Yes, you must have an HD radio to listen to 102.1 The Edge. The Edge has returned to 102.1 HD-2. 102.1 Dropped the Work Out Rock Radio and was replaced with the EDGE. They are using the EGDE moniker playing Alternative Rock as they never left. I do wonder why there is no stream for it. For those who do not have an HD radio there is no possible way to listen to KDGE The Edge. Luckily I have a cheap Insignia Taptop HD radio in my house and a 2015 Dodge Charger 8.4 uConnet that is equipped with an HD radio.

Last edited:
Good catch! It's very much like the Edge never left. Hearing the Cure and Fitz & The Tantrums back to back is cool.
While I know I'm one of the few who has HD radio, there's a part of me that says it's a good thing they don't stream this station.
Maybe they could promote having people actually listen to a radio to hear the radio stations.

It's a nice to have the Edge back on HD2. Commercial-free too! I'd love for Edgefest to come back. KEGL held it last year but not this year. KVIL doesn't have any signature station concerts.

It's a nice to have the Edge back on HD2. Commercial-free too! I'd love for Edgefest to come back. KEGL held it last year but not this year. KVIL doesn't have any signature station concerts.

I'd give it some time until something like "ALT-fest" to happen. Would be ironic if ALT hosted/promoted Edgefest but I know that won't ever happen :p

I'm betting the commercial-free part doesn't last long. We'll probably start hearing the Geico-fest at :20 and :50 past the hour soon.

So, I was driving home from work and decided to get my workout radio in. Well, I tuned to 102.1 HD-2 only to hear the Edge so the Edge has been reincarnationed to their HD-2 signal. Don't know if I should be happy or sad. Thoughts anyone?
I heard it and it sounds like they upped the sound quality from what it was when rock workout was on HD-2. I sorta wonder if they might put dj's on this new Edge HD-2 channel, and if putting the Edge on HD-2 will get more people to buy HD radios.

Looks like they made a pretty major change to 102.1 The Edge HD2 within the past 2 days. It's no longer branded as "The Edge" on air, and the playlist has shifted to newish AAA. It's almost all indie rock from the past 3-4 years (think "Mind Over Matter" by Young The Giant and "Gold" by Sir Sly). I actually really love this new format and hope it sticks around.

Looks like they made a pretty major change to 102.1 The Edge HD2 within the past 2 days. It's no longer branded as "The Edge" on air, and the playlist has shifted to newish AAA. It's almost all indie rock from the past 3-4 years (think "Mind Over Matter" by Young The Giant and "Gold" by Sir Sly). I actually really love this new format and hope it sticks around.

I wonder if it's like the old Indie Verse that was on KJKK HD3 or Indie 103.1 from LA. Wish it would stream.

I wonder if it's like the old Indie Verse that was on KJKK HD3 or Indie 103.1 from LA. Wish it would stream.
Yes! That's a great way to describe it. I listened to both of those streams online.

I'm not sure iHeart knows what they want to do with the HD-2 channel. It switched back to the Edge format 2 days ago, then back to the indie rock format yesterday, and today it seems to be back to the Edge without any identification/liners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom