New PD for WEBG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PD for WEBG

New PD for WEBG

Bad news for people who hoped iHeart might change formats at the low-rated second country station:

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...uston-as-pd-mi

Does Chicago really need two Country stations? I would enjoy a Country Classic station.

Big 95.5

Steve Stewart probably wasn't the right choice to lead this station; his resume wasn't particularly strong.

To me, it makes sense not to throw in the towel on country. Look at 94.5 KTI up the road in Milwaukee. That station after an OK start fell into a ratings rut that lasted over a year. The station eventually made some programming changes, and the ratings skyrocketed.

St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Indianapolis seem to have no problem supporting two (or more) Country stations. Not sure why the same cannot also be true of Chicago!

I'm hard pressed to think of any format voids that could outperform a decently programmed Country station. Contemporary hard rock is only good for about a 2.0 or maybe 2.3 share and less than impressive power ratios. Smooth Jazz is dead. Another moldy classic rock station? Boring! There are plenty of stations in town already catering to African American and Hispanic audiences. Sports? Covered. News/talk? Covered. CHR/Pop? Definitely covered.

The only option that *might* be better than sticking with Country is Variety Hits. However, if 93.9 Lite FM with time evolves to a music mix as broad as sister station 100.3 WNIC in Detroit, there really won't be much wiggle room to squeeze in a Variety Hits station without disrupting WLIT in the process.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wayne View Post
    Does Chicago really need two Country stations? I would enjoy a Country Classic station.
    ... but advertisers wouldn't.

Classic Country audience is too old to work in a transactional market.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

When I hear of someone launching a "classic country" format today, I assume it is a 90s-focused format like Nash Icon. Surely that's a 35-54 friendly format.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    When I hear of someone launching a "classic country" format today, I assume it is a 90s-focused format like Nash Icon. Surely that's a 35-54 friendly format.
    If you were in your early 20's when Randy and Garth hit the charts, and you liked "Quittin' Time" a whole lot, you are probably in your early 50's today. If you were a core country listener of that time, you are in your 60's.

That's not a format with a good demo in markets where much of the business is agency / numbers driven.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wayne View Post
    The question isn't if Chicago needs two country stations, but if iHeart needs to get its country programming on in Chicago. The answer is yes.

That's why they're spending money and transferring an experienced PD to Chicago. Its a big priority.

Lots more money in contemporary country than classic. That means classic anything, including classic hits.

I'm surprised that iHeart hasn't replaced Big 95.5's morning show with Bobby Bones, considering that a lot of recent country station launches by iHeart are usually intended to give Bobby Bones a clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    I'm surprised that iHeart hasn't replaced Big 95.5's morning show with Bobby Bones, considering that a lot of recent country station launches by iHeart are usually intended to give Bobby Bones a clearance.
    Not in market #3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The question isn't if Chicago needs two country stations, but if iHeart needs to get its country programming on in Chicago. The answer is yes.

That's why they're spending money and transferring an experienced PD to Chicago. Its a big priority.

Lots more money in contemporary country than classic. That means classic anything, including classic hits.
    "Classic" is pretty much the same as "too old a demo for advertisers", am I correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast