• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEXI-LP Hallandale wasn't really "low power"

AMRocks

Star Participant
From Tom Taylor's NOW newsletter https://mailchi.mp/tomtaylornow/tom-taylor-now-123733?e=588c8e2cb1

A South Florida Low Power FM super-sized itself, says the FCC – blasting out a transmitter power output of 1,910 watts instead of the licensed 23 watts, and from a greater height. (It’s licensed for 72 meters/236 feet, but instead the antenna at one point was at 81.1 meters/266 feet.) Note that “TPO,” transmitter power output, is not the same as “ERP,” effective radiated power, which is generally much higher. The licensee of Hallandale’s WEXI-LP/102.3 is “The Truth Will Set You Free Inc.” – and the FCC’s version of “the truth” may be hard for it to handle. Hallandale’s located smack-dab along the Atlantic coast, between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. It originally told the FCC it deserved the license “to provide local pastors, teachers, health professionals and community leaders a forum for addressing community needs” – but its “forum” isn’t supposed to be that wide. Read the Notice of Violation, prompted by a complaint, https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2018/db0405/DOC-350066A1.pdf

When we lived in that area,
we heard them transmitting from different sites,
Including one that was well inland to the point that they were barely receivable on the coast.
We suspected that they were flip-flopping with their other station (on 101.9?).

Both stations should be put on the block
with zero chance for parole.
Confiscate their equipment and waive any fines,
but never, ever let them get near even a CB transceiver.

Last edited:
From Tom Taylor's NOW newsletter https://mailchi.mp/tomtaylornow/tom-taylor-now-123733?e=588c8e2cb1

A South Florida Low Power FM super-sized itself, says the FCC – blasting out a transmitter power output of 1,910 watts instead of the licensed 23 watts, and from a greater height. (It’s licensed for 72 meters/236 feet, but instead the antenna at one point was at 81.1 meters/266 feet.) Note that “TPO,” transmitter power output, is not the same as “ERP,” effective radiated power, which is generally much higher. The licensee of Hallandale’s WEXI-LP/102.3 is “The Truth Will Set You Free Inc.” – and the FCC’s version of “the truth” may be hard for it to handle. Hallandale’s located smack-dab along the Atlantic coast, between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. It originally told the FCC it deserved the license “to provide local pastors, teachers, health professionals and community leaders a forum for addressing community needs” – but its “forum” isn’t supposed to be that wide. Read the Notice of Violation, prompted by a complaint, https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2018/db0405/DOC-350066A1.pdf

What I find interesting is that they were broadcasting from the American Tower candelabra on Hallandale Beach Blvd. when they were supposed to be on a condo roof at the beach. Does the tower owner not need or require proof that a potential tenant is in fact licensed to transmit from that location in the first place?

I figured they were in the wrong place because I could pick them up at Commercial and the turnpike but I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to run at 830% of licensed power too.

WUJM-LP on 99.1 in Saint Petersberg, FL
gets out noticeably better in all directions than several other LP's around it.
I hear them in northern Manatee County; that should NOT happen.

WUJM-LP has the 2nd best signal for an LPFM in Hillsborough or Pinellas, first place by a long shot goes to WYPW-LP-Power 90.1 and believe me the term POWER is no exageration! I have had good reception from that 23 watt LPFM as far south as Wimauma and they completely take over WJUF 90.1 (Inverness - 21,000 watts) as far north as downtown Dade City on most days and on some occasions WYPW-Power 90.1 is the predominate signal as far north on U.S. 301 and the Pasco Hernando County line and one day last week, they were reeking havoc with WJUF as far north as Ridge Manor Estates/Webster. The contour map on radio locator really understates their coverage area.

WJUF even though in Citrus county serves , or is supposed to serve Hernando and western Sumter county as the NPR station and their signal has been stronger in that area that NPR WUSF) .

...first place by a long shot goes to WYPW-LP-Power 90.1 and believe me the term POWER is no exaggeration!
Theoretically, WYPW is in or next to Brandon, but they are SOLID at TPA airport and a good part of I-275 over the bay.
My travels take me between SRQ and TPA airports.
I have always found that higher antenna and lower power stations such as the Christian WYPW on 102.1 get out a bit better than typical 100/100 stations, but this is CRAZY.
But we are digressing, this is the Miami-Fort Lauderdale board.

Theoretically, WYPW is in or next to Brandon, but they are SOLID at TPA airport and a good part of I-275 over the bay.
My travels take me between SRQ and TPA airports.
I have always found that higher antenna and lower power stations such as the Christian WYPW on 102.1 get out a bit better than typical 100/100 stations, but this is CRAZY.
But we are digressing, this is the Miami-Fort Lauderdale board.

WYPW was recently heard via e skip in Massachusetts. It gets out!

WYPW was recently heard via e skip in Massachusetts. It gets out!

I live in NE Ohio and usually listen to AM740 [Zoomer Radio] out of Toronto, Canada during the evening when they usually come in like a local since they're pumping out 50,000 watts. One night they were fading in and out and during one of the fade outs I caught a station ID of WHMT. I looked them up and found out they were out of Tullahoma, TN and putting out a measly 11 watts of night time power. Not that there's some skip!

I looked them up and found out they were...putting out a measly 11 watts of night time power.
Not that there's some skip!
Or that name, Whiskey Country got the better of them and they forgot to suppress their 250 watt daytime blowtorch signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom