• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Department Store Playlist on Radio?

Ours play Contemporary Christian but not K-Love. There's a restaurant called Cook Out that was playing Sirius/XMs CCM service "The Message" when I was there

I also heard the Subway in Union City, TN play K-LOVE when it was there. The station there was changed later to Air 1, but I haven't heard them playing it or any other music at times I've been there in recent years.

Does anyone remember the playlist, Jukebox Gold on the Muzak/Mood service? It is now known simply as Classic Hits. I was able to get the playlist used at the store I used to work at. It was the BEST playlist in my opinion. The format was a mix of the 50s through 1990. They'd play a 50s or 60s song, then a 70s song, an 80s song, then go back to 70s, 60s, and so on. They had anything from Chuck Berry and Elvis to Madonna and Janet Jackson. It was where I discovered several rare titles. In early 2016, Jukebox Gold was renamed to Classic Hits and a few months later, they wiped out nearly half of the songs they had, completely eliminating 50s and early 60s music (nothing past 1963), and songs from 1987-1990, which was my favorite era of music. They also added questionable songs from the early 80s that really did not stand the test of time. I had written back and forth with Mood Media asking why they eliminated so much material. I even had a phone conversation with the director of programming. They claimed the Jukebox Gold name was irrelevant and that they were trying to reduce repetition of songs on all playlists. What they did was make the new Classic Hits VERY repetitive and bland. They still had some good songs. Over the past two years, they weeded out some of the weaker songs and added in some new ones, but at the moment, it seems that this playlist is so small that every song repeats every 18 hours or so. Disappointing.

Prior to the store playing Jukebox Gold in 2015, they had an instrumental playlist, then a late 60s playlist, then 50s and 60s Hits (which increasingly became SO annoying, people started complaining), and 70s Hits. I never understood why a store would only play one decade.

I actually like the music I've heard at the local Safeway and a local drugstore chain, Bartell's. I've heard some interesting pop recurrents and other tracks at both stores. I heard Charles & Eddie's "Would I Lie To You" (a cool 1992 pop hit) at the Bartell's a month or so ago over their system -- hadn't heard that in a long time.

The Walmart in my area seems to play pop at least half the time. The Christmas mix has a lot of older classics.

(A few were "My Ever Changing Moods" by Style Council, "Miss Chatelaine"-KD Lang, "Say You'll Stay" from the American Pie soundtrack, and an off-brand version of "Suspicious Minds":)

I always thought that Style Council song had a 70's retro vibe to it, but I remember that from FM-1 in our store. Good song. Oh do I remember that KD Lang song!! That was played a ton on FM-1 and we also heard "Summerfling" from her. Music from the Sundays were on there too, like "My Finest Hour"......but the one I will always remember was that interesting song from Fleet Foxes, called "Mykonos".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4

Last edited:
I was a captive audience for FM-1 8 hours a day for a couple of years. Their playlist isn't huge; I doubt they have any more titles than any Classic Hits or Adult Contemporary station. The difference is they play some non-hits.

Do you remember instances when the FM-1 feed would go dead air for about 45 seconds, then an alternate playlist would come on with softer hits, such as, Paul Simon's "The Coast", KD Lang's "Summerfling" or even a block from 1981 would follow. Other songs included "As Time Goes By" by Jimmy Durante, "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan, "So Nice (Summer Samba)" by Bibel Gilberto, "Theme from Summer Place" by Percy Faith and "I Just (Died in your Arms)" by Cutting Crew. This happened several times and would cycle over again after about 5 hours, before the main signal came back. There were probably about 70 songs total in this alternate feed.

Other times, this alternate cycle would only last, maybe 4-7 songs before switching back to regular FM-1 feed. There was only one time at my store where the entire alternate cycle played through....twice! And I forgot to write down the dang songs when it did that!

I can't say as I do but I couldn't always pay close attention (it was a call center). I wonder if there's a backup file in case the signal goes out?

I can't say as I do but I couldn't always pay close attention (it was a call center). I wonder if there's a backup file in case the signal goes out?

I suppose so. I recall this happened a lot in the 2008-2011 timeframe on FM-1. Haven't noticed it since.

I'm kinda different. I prefer store playlists than radio. For example, the local HEB in Waxahachie would play an all-80s playlist and my friend and I love going there, not just for the music but for the better deals than what they offer at Tom Thumb, Albertsons, or Walmart (Kroger and Aldi also have good prices too).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom