• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Automation Systems - Pros & Cons

masterphreak

New Participating Member
I'm researching a possible automation system replacement for a station group and I'm looking for information from people who actually use each system. As much detail as you want to provide would be appreciated.

This comes up frequently. Frankly, I don't think there is a "best" system, though there are a lot of good choices.

Some people shop for lowest price. There's some pretty cheap stuff out there that'll run a list of music files, and that's good enough for some. Some need local or remote voice tracking, and there are systems that do that very well, and others that don't. If you need your automation to pull a stream out of the internet, a few can do that, and some don't. You need to factor in whether anything comes in by satellite, if you need incoming triggers, input switching and/or the ability to fire off external relays. The ability to build "carts" with multiple cuts that can be run in sequence or at random matters to some. Some systems can generate their own music log for the day while others have complex daily logs that need more sophistication.

Transitioning from one system to another is almost always clumsy and painful. Getting past the learning curve makes true believers out of people, because they resist learning something else, even if a different system might be better. That could affect what system you choose.

The best system for you will depend on what you need from it, what priority you place on your criteria. Whether you need multiple stations and/or production units attached, whether you're comfortable with "build it yourself" or need the computers, software and audio cards provided will affect cost... and that will whittle the list of prospective systems down to a much lower number. Will you need external music or logging software, or do you already have that?

Finally, consider what kind of support you might need. Some systems are more-easily understandable to the "dangerously conversant", while others... not so much so, or might even have proprietary files you can't easily modify. Consider what your local talents are vs what you might have to pay the software people for support time. Also note when they're available to you. A couple of systems are made overseas, their time zones are dramatically different from ours and their phone people aren't very understandable.

If you want reasonable opinions from the group here, some of the above info would help a lot. Even then, you'll get a list of our personal favorites, which may not wind up being yours.

Last edited:
Ok, I have added a list of requirements.

Handle Satellite Shows
Incoming Triggers
Fire External Relays
Input Switching
Carts/Rotaters
Local Tracking
Have central audio server

These items would be nice but not essential.

Remote tracking
Integrated Traffic system

I'm more than comfortable with building the hardware side of things.

We already use separate music scheduling and traffic software that readily integrates with almost all common automation systems.

The availability of support is a must. In my experience no matter how good the software is there will always be unforeseen issues.

With a little re-working......I'd bet some of the older automation "brains" could perform well with today's internet/AudioVault format(s)....

Harris System 90 (8008 microprocessor-based)
Schaffer 903
SMC DP-2

Of course, technical support for this stuff is scarce-to-non-existent...but it MIGHT be a way for a smaller station to save a buck or two -- and have a unique operation in the bargain!!
Or.......am I just thinking in the wrong century...??!!:confused:

For the sake of clarity on this thread, price is not an issue. Looking more for info on functionality. Anything that users have experienced that were either difficult or impossible.

With a little re-working......I'd bet some of the older automation "brains" could perform well with today's internet/AudioVault format(s)....

Harris System 90 (8008 microprocessor-based)
Schaffer 903
SMC DP-2

Good Lord. The only place this list belongs, is in a museum.

Since the late 90's, even inexpensive automation running from a single $3,000.00 PC will run circles around old ways of automating a radio station. Think abacus to an Iphone.

Handle Satellite Shows
Incoming Triggers
Fire External Relays
Input Switching
Carts/Rotaters
Local Tracking

These items would be nice but not essential.

Remote tracking
Integrated Traffic system

I'm more than comfortable with building the hardware side of things.

We already use separate music scheduling and traffic software that readily integrates with almost all common automation systems.

The availability of support is a must. In my experience no matter how good the software is there will always be unforeseen issues.

As you know, there are several systems out there which will do what you're looking for. I'm currently a fan of RCS Zetta. It will do everything on your want list, and more. For radio automation systems, I feel their support is second to none. On the other side of the coin; BE has some of the most lacking support, at least in regards with their automation.

One of the things I really like about Zetta, is the ability to configure backup database options without having to purchase really expensive redundant file servers. If you have an existing network, it's easy to park one or more alternate databases to other places within a network. Zetta's remote voice tracking application works really well too, and runs as a web GUI that doesn't require any special hardware or applications at the talent end. As an example: We have a woman in Dubai who voice tracks a weekly top 40 style show every week from her laptop with a microphone and set of headphones. Our Zetta system is in Virginia.

I'm a PD not an engineer, but we use iMediaTouch by OMT and it does everything you're asking for and it's not the most expensive automation system out there.

Chuck

Just thought I would add that i'm looking for opinions from both engineers and the programming staff that might be using these automation systems.

Have have to add my vote for RCS Zetta. I have had this for two years now...before Zetta I used RCS NexGen. Prophet before that.
I have found over the years that tech support is the primary consideration when it comes to automation. All the systems have their pros and cons and yes, some don't provide all of the features you want/need. But when you're off the air at 2 in the morning it sure is nice to get an understandable technician on the phone to hold your hand.

We've been using OMT iMediaTouch for ten years or so, now operating on our six stations in one building. We've kept up with the upgrades, find them easy to work with, and the system works well for live local programming, satellite, and some voice-tracking. We like the system, I'm sure there are several others that we would like as well if we didn't already have what we have.

I currently use Enco. I really like Enco and it's flexibility. The biggest issue I have found with it so far is the way it handles rotators/carts. If there is no active cut it doesn't red-line the cart in the playlist. I have seen a demo of Wide Orbit a few years back and it seemed to do everything we need it to do. My favorite part of Enco is the DAD Command Language. I can build very complex command cuts for a variety of situations. Does Wide Orbit have anything similar to this?

We have been using OMT iMediatouch version 4 for many years and for the most part it works with some minor glitches. We did try their newest version called Enterprise in one of our stations without much luck. Their technical support is useless. Clicking AUTO can cause several items to play at once, errors when you try to save a newly imported file, etc etc.
We are currently installing Wide Orbit to replace it in all our stations. From what we have heard from all the stations we contacted is that it can't be beat for support and all the users love it.

We have been using OMT iMediatouch version 4 for many years and for the most part it works with some minor glitches. We did try their newest version called Enterprise in one of our stations without much luck. Their technical support is useless. Clicking AUTO can cause several items to play at once, errors when you try to save a newly imported file, etc etc.
In other words, it works much like a human disk jockey... LOL

As you know, there are several systems out there which will do what you're looking for. I'm currently a fan of RCS Zetta. It will do everything on your want list, and more. For radio automation systems, I feel their support is second to none. On the other side of the coin; BE has some of the most lacking support, at least in regards with their automation.

One of the things I really like about Zetta, is the ability to configure backup database options without having to purchase really expensive redundant file servers. If you have an existing network, it's easy to park one or more alternate databases to other places within a network. Zetta's remote voice tracking application works really well too, and runs as a web GUI that doesn't require any special hardware or applications at the talent end. As an example: We have a woman in Dubai who voice tracks a weekly top 40 style show every week from her laptop with a microphone and set of headphones. Our Zetta system is in Virginia.

One of our regional Country format stations, WOKQ (97.5, Dover, NH) is installing Zetta, with Wheatstone's WheatNet Blade 3.0.....Some minor level issues at the outset have been remedied.....and the station is sounding really nice right now....
At some point in the near future I'll be visiting for a close-up look at the operation....I haven't been IN their facility for nearly 30 YEARS....so I suspect some things have changed.....!!!!!:)

Speaking as an engineer, I'd seriously reconsider this. Keep your audio on your air work station. If you want to mirror it to a NAS for backup that's fine. but if you are pulling audio files across the network to play, and the network goes down, you will eventually have dead air when the air work station runs out of files to play until you get the network going again.

Trust me, I've experienced it first hand.

Scott

Speaking as an engineer, I'd seriously reconsider this. Keep your audio on your air work station. If you want to mirror it to a NAS for backup that's fine. but if you are pulling audio files across the network to play, and the network goes down, you will eventually have dead air when the air work station runs out of files to play until you get the network going again.

Trust me, I've experienced it first hand.

Scott

Yep, all it takes for a router or a cable to go wonky on you and you will have big problems. It is even more fun when it is an intermittent. This usually happens late at night or on the weekends. Maybe both...

Just wanted to add another automation system to this list.

Has anyone used or even heard of Sync Harmony?

All I know so far is they are a fairly recent entrant into the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom