• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wkqx & wlup to cumulus

Brian Thomas already has exited WLS FM and relocated to Atlanta 101.5 (Nash Country). Wade Linder has replaced Thomas and is known as a Rocker. Someone purchased the web address of 947theLoop.com so a flip might be coming shortly from Classic Hits to Classic Rock or Rock with the call letters WLUP.

You are most likely correct, BigA. Under terms of the original contract, Cumulus had a period of time within which to pay Merlin following Merlin's exercise of the put option. It would make sense that the BK petition date occurred subsequent to Merlin's exercise of the put option but prior to the deadline for Cumulus to make payment to Merlin under said option.

It would make sense that the BK petition date occurred subsequent to Merlin's exercise of the put option but prior to the deadline for Cumulus to make payment to Merlin under said option.

What I don't know is if somehow they got to use some of the LMA money as credit towards the purchase price. Because that was in the original contract.

I strongly doubt any credit against the $18 million price tag for prior rent payments was granted. Remember, the $50 million price tag (under original contract terms) was *after* application of credit from LMA payments. The total original price tag was $70 million.

The new agreement (which was made public as it was part of the court docket) contained no provision for such credits.

Is the Loop really needed? Between WLS-FM, The Drive, and WXRT, I would think pretty much everything they played would be covered. I think WLS-FM is going to pick up a lot of the Loop's audience anyway, in addition to what they've already been inheriting from K-Hits, so why not just try to maximize their audience? They already lean heavily towards rock as it is.

The 947theloop.com address might just be a smokescreen, and they may have acquired the IP simply to prevent anyone else from relaunching The Loop.

I partially agree with you, but I disagree on WLS-FM leaning rock heavy. There is way too much KC & The Sunshine Band (I can put up with small doses of Chic, Bee Gees, and even ABBA..but sweet lord, I don't know how anyone could have found KC appealing even when current), and the endless playing of "Man In The Mirror" by MJ, to name just a couple of artists that would/will turn off a large chunk of WLUP listeners. If it makes sense from a billing standpoint (without a Mancow contract), then I could see them entertain the idea of 94.7 The Loop. It would definitely generate some short-term ratings at the very least.

Only WLUP's intellectual property was purchased by Cumulus. My guess is it'll continue to be used in its current format - i.e. online and at WKQX-HD2.

I would put the chances of a full rebirth on a Chicago analog FM signal at close to zero.

The bigger story by far is the fact Cumulus apparently will be holding onto WKQX.

I believe it was reported that the WLUP call letters were part of the deal as well.

WLS has the opportunity to be one of the top stations in the market if they just improve their current classic hits format. They need to focus on the 80s more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom