• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New WLIR 107.1 is coming soon

This is so exciting!!!!! I found this...

---

SOMETHING REAL IS COMING TO WLIR-FM
A FORMAT CHANGE IS IMMINENT AT THE HISTORIC WLIR

The World Famous WLIR-FM broadcasting on 107.1 and 96.9 to Long Islanders, and online at wlir.com, has been stunting since before the new year. This Friday, April 20th, at 11:45AM, the station encourages everyone to tune in as they will end the “wheel of formats” and debut a new format.

Station management has been stunting, playing anything and everything, using the tagline, “something real is coming to this frequency”, for several months. With the release of the most recent documentary, it shows how important the WLIR call letters are and how important the history is to many people. The station owners want to keep the integrity, pride, and trust of those who have cared for the WLIR call letters over its 59 year history and expand its reach unlike ever before.

WLIR-FM will certainly be something exciting and real again as of April 20th . With a population of over 1 million people, the East-End will have something new to listen to. This is momentous because of WLIR’s long history.

Making its debut in 1959, WLIR has gone through several owners, formats, many changes and a long battle with the FCC. Famously known for discovering artists such as Prince and Depeche Mode who were not played on the airwaves before, WLIR has been a big part of radio history and an even bigger part of the lives of many Long Islanders.

For more information, visit our website www.wlir.com

---

I wonder what the format will be. We could really use a change out here.

Format will be classic alternative with newer tracks in between, like the internet only version of WLIR, I expected.

Format will be classic alternative with newer tracks in between, like the internet only version of WLIR, I expected.

How will a format like that "expand WLIR's reach like never before"? Wouldn't a format that would do that have to be something mainstream, with a ready-made audience?

If that's the case why didn't they have the format in place when the documentary first aired?

I would think the web site traffic would have increased dramatically by curiosity seekers.

What better way to get people interested in your station especially if there was some sort of heritage format already in place?

I guess we will just have to wait until AJ clues us in on Friday.

If that's the case why didn't they have the format in place when the documentary first aired?

I would think the web site traffic would have increased dramatically by curiosity seekers.

What better way to get people interested in your station especially if there was some sort of heritage format already in place?

I guess we will just have to wait until AJ clues us in on Friday.
It be classic hit station

How will people in Nassau County be able to get it on FM at home or in the car? Will it be on any HD sub channel in our listening area. There is no way a signal coming from the Manorville tower will reach Eastern Nassau.

So classic hits it is which is a REAL disappointment for those who REALLY thought the REAL 'LIR was coming back.

But with their transmitters being around Hampton Bays and Manorville, how will their signal carry into Nassau? Any chances of it showing up on an HD sub channel further west?

But with their transmitters being around Hampton Bays and Manorville, how will their signal carry into Nassau? Any chances of it showing up on an HD sub channel further west?

More to the point.....
Does anyone REALly care?

They could move 92.7 to an HD sub channel of 97.9 and then possibly re-use 92.7 to bring back the original WLIR. With its antenna in North Shore Towers it gets a good swath of NYC, Nassau and Western Suffolk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom