• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCCM 1570 simulcasting 1110/98.9

Noticed today and yesterday WCCM 1570 Methuen has been simulcasting WMVX 1110 Salem NH and its FM translator aka Valley 98.9 (the FM translator tail wagging the AM dog).Oldies like Live and Let Die and Flashdance-What a Feeling. Top of hour ID mentioned the 1110 and 98.9 but not the
1570 WCCM...
Had been running foreign language as Viva or Galaxia.Is this a case of empty slots in a schedule being filled by a simulcast of Valley 98.9..or a new format?
And Salem NH and Methuen are close to each other--can the 2 AMs simulcast?

Yeah. It's legal. But this might be a stunt on WCCM since neither it nor the translator, 105.3 Methuen, are mentioned. Speaking of which, Methuen is only under the fringe contour of the translator. Is that legal? I thought the COL.needed to be under the protected contour.

Speaking of which, Methuen is only under the fringe contour of the translator. Is that legal? I thought the COL.needed to be under the protected contour.

Methuen touches Salem, the 1110 transmitter is not more than 2 miles away from the MA/NH state line with Methuen, and the translator is on the tower near Searles Castle , you can see it from Rt 93 clearly.

the transmitter and translator are under 4 miles away from each other.

It would be near impossible for the translator not to fall under the predicted 2.5mv/m local that extends well into Londonderry to at least exit 5 and down well into most of Methuen.

Methuen touches Salem, the 1110 transmitter is not more than 2 miles away from the MA/NH state line with Methuen, and the translator is on the tower near Searles Castle , you can see it from Rt 93 clearly.

the transmitter and translator are under 4 miles away from each other.

It would be near impossible for the translator not to fall under the predicted 2.5mv/m local that extends well into Londonderry to at least exit 5 and down well into most of Methuen.

He’s talking about 1570 in Andover and 105.3 in Malden/Medford (same tower as 101.7).

1570/105.3 had been simulcasting WNNW for several months. The Galaxia leased format was very short lived.

Have been told it's been going on a week..maybe those leasing or programming the station have gone elsewhere (like to the 1260 Salem sold off? New owners of that?)

Supposedly WCCM 1570 Methuen and its Medford translator at 105.3 are Big 105.3, syndicated oldies from Westwood 1 (per DJ Chris).Also something wrong, vocals cut out on 60s tracks as only one speaker is fed, he tells me.Temp or new format?

All quite confusing.

So what's become of 1110 AM - the former WCCM, now WVMX- and its (ahem) translator at 98.9? I thought THEY were playing syndicated satellite oldies.

Y'all do realize that the stations discussed in this thread are all co-owned, right?

All quite confusing.

So what's become of 1110 AM - the former WCCM, now WVMX- and its (ahem) translator at 98.9? I thought THEY were playing syndicated satellite oldies.

They still are, but WCCM 1570 was also recently simulcasting with them, though ** NEWS FLASH ** I just found that 1570 and translator 105.3 is now broadcasting a DIFFERENT oldies format from 1110 and 98.9 as of yesterday, Monday 4/2.

I can hear the 105.3 WCCM translator from Medford/Malden here in Somerville (weak because I'm in the directional null), listening now, hearing '60s/'70s (and an occasional '50s) oldies, not the same as WMVX, still with only one channel of stereo coming through panned to both channels. I assume this the Westwood One format?

Last edited:
WCCM 1570 (and translator 105.3) now has NEW CALL LETTERS with the new oldies format (no longer simulcasting WMVX).

I think I heard WUBG or WUBD Methuen, or something like that, at the top of the hour, and a liner reference to something like Big 105.3.

Sounds like maybe an actual format change, not a stunt, perhaps a low cost way of trying to fill the format void left north of Boston when WBOQ "North Shore 104.9" recently flipped to AC?

So, for those in the north suburbs of Boston, oldies are back on FM via the translator (one stereo channel anyway). The directional signal is poor south of the Mystic Valley Parkway.

Last edited:
If nickname is Big then maybe WUBG.Got on 128 (the FM) last night in Reading and Lynnfield but by Peabody the Kittery ME Shark started to take over.Generic sounding DJ (clearly syndie not local) with 60s-70s hits

Maybe WUBG as in "Big".
1570 had the WMVX calls for awhile before the move to Methuen, then they went to the 1110.After that move was made (i.e
1570 call letter change) I wondered if WMVX, the MV stood for Merrimack Valley as 1570's new owners wanted to get COL changed to Methuen

One speaker panned out to be on both--so for example during Hello Goodbye you heard the violin but not Ringo's drumming just before "now now why, why, why, why, do you say . goodbye...?"

Last edited:
DJ Chris P saw that 1570 owners had applied for WUBG with the WCCM calls going elsewhere.. My guess is maybe to their 800 in Lawrence which used to have them (800= CCM in Roman numerals)

If nickname is Big then maybe WUBG.Got on 128 (the FM) last night in Reading and Lynnfield but by Peabody the Kittery ME Shark started to take over.Generic sounding DJ (clearly syndie not local) with 60s-70s hits

Maybe WUBG as in "Big".
1570 had the WMVX calls for awhile before the move to Methuen, then they went to the 1110.After that move was made (i.e
1570 call letter change) I wondered if WMVX, the MV stood for Merrimack Valley as 1570's new owners wanted to get COL changed to Methuen

One speaker panned out to be on both--so for example during Hello Goodbye you heard the violin but not Ringo's drumming just before "now now why, why, why, why, do you say . goodbye...?"

A lot of stations have problems with "Hello Goodbye" along with "Bus Stop" by The Hollies I remember hearing the problems with the songs on the now defunct BIG D 103 in Hartford. "Kool Radio" the Oldies station in Hartford, Springfield, and Westerly plays these songs from time to time. While I hear problems on the FM translator in the case of Hartford 96.1, the song sounds fine on the AM side. In the case of Hartford 990-AM.

A lot of stations have problems with "Hello Goodbye" along with "Bus Stop" by The Hollies...

Not if they simply hook up both stereo channels. Either in stereo, or combine them both for mono, but not just one. That's negligent engineering. Anyone qualified to put a radio station together should know about stereo channels.

Top of the hour ID says WUBG Methuen-Boston, the biggest hits of the 60s and 70s--Big 105.3 (also on 1570 which is much more powerful by day...) The 105.3 is an FM translator in Medford

Top of the hour ID says WUBG Methuen-Boston, the biggest hits of the 60s and 70s--Big 105.3 (also on 1570 which is much more powerful by day...) The 105.3 is an FM translator in Medford

I heard one '50s song in a couple of hours of listening last night. "That'll Be The Day" by Buddy Holly.

There's a stream of Spanish Music playing on GALAXIA1570.COM and I think it may be originating at WUTY-LP in Worcester. There is something on their Facebook Page that mentions their programming airs Saturdays on Unity Radio 102.9 WUTY-LP in Worcester. However the top of the hour ID still mentions 1570-AM. Their Facebook Page still says 1570/105.3 and nothing has been posted on their Facebook page since Sunday.

True they did have WCCM calls on 800 for years.It was an attempt to symbolize 800 in Roman numerals but incorrect; even though 900 is CM (1000 minus 100), 800 should be DCCC(500 plus 100 plus 100 plus 100)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom