As the Earth Turns. - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: As the Earth Turns.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Generally, on music choices, we don't listen to individual listeners. We listen to replicable groups of listeners who reflect the taste of our target audience. And we then play what they tell us to play.
    Yes, I know radio is a mass medium. I was attempting to be amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    Yes, I know radio is a mass medium. I was attempting to be amusing.
    Some of us found it amusing, Llew.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    I didn't think Hotel California belonged anywhere, except maybe in hell. But do you radio programmers listen to me? No.
    Don Henley himself sang that (it) could be heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    The whole point is KRTH is doing a great job changing with the times; me, not so much. I guess my next shock will be when G 'n' R start getting spins along.... the KOST!
    The funny thing is that it took a decade or two for KRTH to rid itself of the 50's and 60's, but far less time for the 70's. They are doing good in changing with the times, but they are also getting rid of older music too fast at a rate not seen before. Suddenly, K-Earth is an all 80's, getting into the 90's and 00's station. Where did all the 70's go??? I don't remember at anytime K-Earth playing all 70's, like they are doing with the eighties today.
    Celebrating 63 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    The funny thing is that it took a decade or two for KRTH to rid itself of the 50's and 60's, but far less time for the 70's. They are doing good in changing with the times, but they are also getting rid of older music too fast at a rate not seen before. Suddenly, K-Earth is an all 80's, getting into the 90's and 00's station. Where did all the 70's go??? I don't remember at anytime K-Earth playing all 70's, like they are doing with the eighties today.
    First, KRTH has only about 30 songs post-1992 in the library. In the last 7 days, all 30 of them got a total of 86 spins. The top 3 songs in rotation got more spins than all those 1993 and beyond songs. In fact, there would be justabout one of those post-1992 song every 2 hours. Nearly all the rest are from the 1978 to 1992 period.

KRTH was too slow in ridding itself of the 60's and even of the earlier 70's stuff. This was reflected in a period where they were not even Top 10 in 25-54, despite a sizable seniors audience.

That's not a problem unique to KRTH, either. Many oldies stations delayed too long in flushing the geezer gold in favor of the songs that were the ones the 35-54's had grown up on.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; Today at 01:31 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415