• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

As the Earth Turns.

12 full ounces, that's a lot... and just a nickle...

But they don't change the flavor at random.

And Pepsi has never tasted like a cheap knockoff of Coke. It has a flavor of its own, sweeter than Coke. The people who drink it now aren't looking for a
"cheaper Coke," because both cost the same in most places now. On the other hand, store-brand colas -- the ones in the 89-cent 2-liter bottles on the top or bottom shelves at your supermarket -- definitely taste like knockoffs, a flavor that's not quite Coke or Pepsi and is just kind of blah. I don't think anyone buys them for the flavor, they just don't want to pay more than a dollar more for Coke or Pepsi.

Last edited:
And Pepsi has never tasted like a cheap knockoff of Coke. It has a flavor of its own, sweeter than Coke. The people who drink it now aren't looking for a
"cheaper Coke," because both cost the same in most places now. On the other hand, store-brand colas -- the ones in the 89-cent 2-liter bottles on the top or bottom shelves at your supermarket -- definitely taste like knockoffs, a flavor that's not quite Coke or Pepsi and is just kind of blah. I don't think anyone buys them for the flavor, they just don't want to pay more than a dollar more for Coke or Pepsi.

We are in an interesting branding discussion here.

Consumer brands often, as is the case with Pepsi, appealing to people from childhood to death. But the manufacturer, in its role as advertiser, only targets the consumers that will provide, both now and in the more immediate future, the most sales... the biggest return on dollars spent.

So even if Pepsi knew, back towards the 80's, that while older folks drank Pepsi, still they did not enlist Andy Williams or Frank Sinatra to do their ads. They picked Michael Jackson. And they gained on Coke and produced a real Pepsi Generation of younger consumers who found Pepsi to be hip, modern, cool. Not the older folks who thought of Pepsi as a cheap alternative to Coke. They sold gallons of product, and created greater immediate demand and a refreshed image.

Radio stations can't appeal to the kids-to-death demo. There are many of them and each takes a slice. So to maintain that market segment, every ounce of research, programming skill and management focus is put on superserving the age group that will make money for the station. Nobody in radio minds having younger listeners or ones older than the target, but we know that "spillage" can't be monetized. So we are in a constant refresh mode to both wipe out "old" images (like Pepsi being cheap and inferior) and to create appeal to new consumers... those at the young side of the target... because those listeners will be of value for at least a decade if not more.

Why did new Coke fail? They were worried about the growth of Pepsi after Pepsico refreshed the brand's image. They tried to appeal to Pepsi drinkers without considering how absolutely furious the Coke stalwarts would be. Failure is not a strong enough word. They ignored the core, the heavy users, instead of doing better advertising and merchandising. New Coke was the equivalent of putting museum songs on early-to-mid-80's based KRTH. No gain, and a bunch of pissed off core listeners.

Last edited:
Pepsi began as "the cheaper Coke" and it still is. You will notice their ads target youth who must value packaging over content.

In 1936, Pepsi doubled the size of the serving but kept the same price, pointed out by this jingle: "Pepsi-Cola hits the spot / Twelve full ounces, that's a lot / Twice as much for a nickel, too / Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you" No one ever said the product was inferior to Coke, just less expensive at the time. I don't remember it costing less during my lifetime. Pepsi is nearly as old as Coke anyway, dating back to 1893, as compared to Coke's, 1886.

Some of the big 70s AM stations tried to go more adult contemporary in the late 70s because FM was "where it's at" for the teens. "The station you grew up with grows up with you". It only worked for a little while if at all.

We are in an interesting branding discussion here.

Consumer brands often, as is the case with Pepsi, appealing to people from childhood to death. But the manufacturer, in its role as advertiser, only targets the consumers that will provide, both now and in the more immediate future, the most sales... the biggest return on dollars spent.

So even if Pepsi knew, back towards the 80's, that while older folks drank Pepsi, still they did not enlist Andy Williams or Frank Sinatra to do their ads. They picked Michael Jackson. And they gained on Coke and produced a real Pepsi Generation of younger consumers who found Pepsi to be hip, modern, cool. Not the older folks who thought of Pepsi as a cheap alternative to Coke. They sold gallons of product, and created greater immediate demand and a refreshed image.

Radio stations can't appeal to the kids-to-death demo. There are many of them and each takes a slice. So to maintain that market segment, every ounce of research, programming skill and management focus is put on superserving the age group that will make money for the station. Nobody in radio minds having younger listeners or ones older than the target, but we know that "spillage" can't be monetized. So we are in a constant refresh mode to both wipe out "old" images (like Pepsi being cheap and inferior) and to create appeal to new consumers... those at the young side of the target... because those listeners will be of value for at least a decade if not more.

Why did new Coke fail? They were worried about the growth of Pepsi after Pepsico refreshed the brand's image. They tried to appeal to Pepsi drinkers without considering how absolutely furious the Coke stalwarts would be. Failure is not a strong enough word. They ignored the core, the heavy users, instead of doing better advertising and merchandising. New Coke was the equivalent of putting museum songs on early-to-mid-80's based KRTH. No gain, and a bunch of pissed off core listeners.

Some of the big 70s AM stations tried to go more adult contemporary in the late 70s because FM was "where it's at" for the teens. "The station you grew up with grows up with you". It only worked for a little while if at all.

WDRC-FM Hartford, still an oldies station in the mid-2000s, trotted out the "our generation's music is timeless" trope with its "We're the station you grew up with. And now it's the station your kids can grow up with, too" sweeper. But obviously, teens and 20s were not significantly interested in hearing "Glad All Over" and "Young Girl." Before the end of the decade, the '60s would be pretty much gone and the '80s would be a significant playlist presence. Whether WDRC-FM would have evolved in classic hits a la KRTH is moot (yes moot, not mute), because the station was sold in 2014 to owners who flipped it to classic rock, whose listeners in their 30s and 40s are far more tolerant of songs from the '60s and '70s -- and thus more numerous -- than classic hits listeners are.

So actually, when it came to the idea that the kids might enjoy the same music their parents did, DRC-FM wasn't entirely wrong. It was just playing the wrong music. Songs like Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" and the Rolling Stones' "Heartbreaker" still fit seamlessly into the playlists of many of today's classic rock stations that have also worked Nirvana and Pearl Jam into the format.

. New Coke was the equivalent of putting museum songs on early-to-mid-80's based KRTH. No gain, and a bunch of pissed off core listeners.

New Coke was a failure in 1986. And we all remember Max Headroom. The Phil Hall and Bob Hamilton presentations actually pleased lots of listeners. But as you've said before, different times, different methodologies.

But bringing back Coca-Cola as Coke Classic was their best move and going strong today! But you gotta love those retro Pepsi two-liter bottles out now. Great move.

Last edited:
12 full ounces, that's a lot... and just a nickle... Yup...like I said....a cheaper Coca Cola. When my wife owned a restaurant she selected Pepsi products because their sales staff made all sorts of concessions (advertising banners ETC) and they made more money on the sale of Pepsi than Coke (Pepsi was cheaper to buy but resale price was the same). Me? If a restaurant sells only Pepsi I go elsewhere. Pepsi tastes like Panther Piss.

But they don't change the flavor at random. The Coke execs learned a very valuable lesson with that major miscalculation.

No. I've lived with Hispanics my whole life and never met a male with that name.

It's not "no" but a question of proportion. More folks named Lupe are women, but there are plenty of men with the name, generally combined with another given name.

And I can think of a couple of dozen that I know personally or who are / were famous entertainers, athletes or politicians. "Lupe" is the nickname for "Guadalupe". And the Virgin of Guadalupe is the patron saint of Mexico, so the name is very common (although much more with girls than boys).

The former morning person on heritage Spanish language station KCOR in San Antonio was Pepe Lupe Duarte (José Guadalupe Duarte).

Here is the most famous in my world:

https://www.google.com/search?clien.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.360....0.A7VTw-5IhyU

Last edited:

And I can think of a couple of dozen that I know personally or who are / were famous entertainers, athletes or politicians. "Lupe" is the nickname for "Guadalupe". And the Virgin of Guadalupe is the patron saint of Mexico, so the name is very common (although much more with girls than boys).

https://www.google.com/search?clien.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.360....0.A7VTw-5IhyU

The boxer who sprung to mind for me was Lupe Aquino, a light middleweight champion in the '80s. His full name is Isaias Guadalupe Aquino. Lupe Pintor (Jose Guadalupe Pintor) also held a title. According to boxrec.com, a currently active boxer who fights as Lupe Arroyo (record: 3-11) has Guadalupe Arroyo for a full name, so someone in Mexico thought it would be a good name for a boy -- with the number of fights young Lupe must have gotten into as a kid, it's curious that he didn't become a better boxer! To paraphrase Johnny Cash, "Life ain't easy for a boy named Guadalupe."

My city is about 25% Hispanic, but the population is heavily Puerto Rican (a large percentage with roots in two towns, Aguada and Aguadilla), with a sprinkling of Dominicans, hardly any Mexicans at all. Maria is the dominant female name, by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Really like this Spanish-Mexican language diversion on this thread, but it rankles me a bit because I failed to become a proficient Spanish speaker. My aunt and uncle had a housekeeper who emigrated from Cuba before Batista was overthrown. This lady was a joy. She was brilliant. She spoke four languages, French, Portuguese, Spanish (Castilian and Cuban dialect) and English. She was a great housekeeper who, with her family, went on to develop two sub-divisions. And for the longest time, she still continued to keep house for a select number of clients who helped her when she first came to the states. What rankles me is that she often spoke Spanish to the children, alternating from English, and many of us took to it. But our parents and family frowned on that, so she spoke English. I took rudimentary Spanish in high school and didn't apply myself because the teacher lacked the joy and warmth of my aunt's housekeeper. That's on me, really. Still, in my limited knowledge of Spanish, I know a few choice commands, directives, verb forms and terms of affection thanks in large measure not to my high school teacher, but to this charming and talented woman who treated our family so kindly. Oh, and BTW, her brand of preference was Coke. Dark rum optional, but never at work. Even as a kid, I knew what a "Cuba Libre" was... and stood for.

It's not "no" but a question of proportion. More folks named Lupe are women, but there are plenty of men with the name, generally combined with another given name.

And here I thought we were talking about formal names and not nicknames or partial names. Once again, I have never encountered a male Hispanic with a formal name Guadalupe either. Females, yes. Even a town near me. But no Bubbas.

And......I didn't say there were no "Lupe". I just said I had never met one (so they must be fairly rare).

And here I thought we were talking about formal names and not nicknames or partial names.

My original question was about "Lupe." "Guadalupe" didn't enter the conversation until David posted his insightful clarification. I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. I honestly had never run into a Lupe -- male or female -- in my town because the name is hardly ever used by Puerto Ricans, so my experience was based completely on watching Mexican boxers on TV.

And here I thought we were talking about formal names and not nicknames or partial names. Once again, I have never encountered a male Hispanic with a formal name Guadalupe either. Females, yes. Even a town near me. But no Bubbas.

And......I didn't say there were no "Lupe". I just said I had never met one (so they must be fairly rare).

Not rare at all. Not all that popular today, what with parents creating names out of combinations of syllables of other names and all that, but there are plenty of males with Guadalupe as part of their given name, just as there are quite a few men with María as part of the given name, starting with the 5-time president of Ecuador, José María Velasco Ibarra.

Here is the wiki of "José María"

José María (abbreviated José Mª) is a Spanish language male given name, usually considered a single given name rather than two names, and is a combination of the Spanish names of Joseph and Mary, the parents of Jesus Christ.[1] The separate names "José" for males and "María" for females also exist in the Spanish language. They can also combine in the inverse order forming the female name "María José" (M.ª José); that is, the gender of the compound names "José María" and "María José" is determined by their first component. The name "José María" is colloquially shortened to "José Mari", "Josema" or replaced by the hypocoristic forms "Chema" or "Chemari".

Also from Wikipedia RE: Guadalupe

"Today, the name "Guadalupe" is relatively common in Hispanic countries, especially in Mexico, where it can be a personal name as well as a place name.[citation needed] As a personal name, it can be given to both boys and girls. Notable examples of men named Guadalupe are Guadalupe Victoria, the first President of Mexico, and Guadalupe Acosta Naranjo, a Mexican politician."

So even a president was named Guadalupe!

My original question was about "Lupe." "Guadalupe" didn't enter the conversation until David posted his insightful clarification. I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. I honestly had never run into a Lupe -- male or female -- in my town because the name is hardly ever used by Puerto Ricans, so my experience was based completely on watching Mexican boxers on TV.

Yep, "Guadalupe" and the diminutive "Lupe" is common mostly in México where the devotees of the Virgin are concentrated.

Related is the name "Juan Diego" who was the indigenous person who saw multiple apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Mexico. Even one of my grandsons in Ecuador is named Juan Diego in his honor.

Yeah, off the subject but very related as it does demonstrate the differences in culture of today's LA population, which makes comparisons of today's radio to the days of KHJ and the early decades of KRTH totally irrelevant.

The Jose Maria a good number of Americans may be familiar with is Jose Maria Olazabal, a Spaniard who won two Masters golf titles.

I have never encountered a male Hispanic with a formal name Guadalupe either. Females, yes. Even a town near me. But no Bubbas.

There's always Guadalupe Island off northern Baja!

I will bet there are more German men with the middle name of Maria than Hispanic males.

I will bet there are more German men with the middle name of Maria than Hispanic males.

Technically, there are no "middle names" in Spanish. There are: given name(s), paternal surname and maternal surname.

"Given names" can be as simple as Juan or Ana, or compound, such as María de los Ángles. And they can be made up of several names, such as Ana María or Juan Diego.

Juan Diego is not "Juan" with a middle name. "Juan Diego" is inseparable. A friend, whose name is Juan José, is never addressed as "Juan". His nickname is "JJ" in both English and Spanish.

As to José María, check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_María

It's a really common name. As the article says, "José María" is a common name, and many famous people have this name or a similar one"

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom