• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why mr. probz waves on ALT 92.3

I find WBOS unlistenable due to all the burned out grunge they cling to. I think NYC's Alt 92.3 and Toronto's Indie 88 are where it's at.

Call me a rock fan but I'm probably the 10-20% of an alternative listener who favors listening to Portugal the Man and Imagine Dragons mixed with Nirvana and Soundgarden (even stuff like Tool and System of a Down) than hear Eminem and Avicii on alternative.

Last edited:
Call me a rock fan but I'm probably the 10-20% of an alternative listener who favors listening to Portugal the Man and Imagine Dragons mixed with Nirvana and Soundgarden (even stuff like Tool and System of a Down) than hear Eminem and Avicii on alternative.

I'm with you there. Nothing wrong with playing more poppy music that's clearly in the alternative/indie realm (and Portugal. The Man in particular certainly have plenty of "cred" in that area), but I could do without some of the other stuff they're playing is more straight-up pop, hip-hop, or EDM. There's also nothing wrong with honoring the format's roots from the '90s and before, though I agree that some of the stuff that WBOS plays is really stale. (I'm not talking Nirvana and Soundgarden, I'm talking stuff like 3 Doors Down and Seven Mary Three.) Still, I understand that the station is not for diehard alternative music fans, and they're playing a lot of good stuff that's been missing from the radio, so at the end of the day I can live with them playing stuff that they think will bring in a bigger audience.

Alt 92.3 also has a new feature called "Ctrl+Alt+Delete", which allows you to text whether you "LIKE" or "DISLIKE" the song currently playing. Supposedly they're monitoring this in "real time", even claiming they'll cut a song off early if it gets enough "dislike" votes. Interesting idea and a great way to give the average listener the impression of having input, though it may very well just be a gimmick with no real impact on the playlist.

I hope it is a gimmick since I think it is a bad idea. Probably the reason I have been tuning them out more frequently recently.

But if I had the time I would tell them to stop playing CHVRCHES "Get Out". I complained that M&M was not Alternative here, but it certainly fit the format far better than what sounds like a Disney or Barbie song for little kids.
Not saying they should ban CHVRCHES but the sound of this song in particular, (don't know about the lyrics) went way too far away away from an adult format sound.

Last edited:
They know the fine line between "Waves" from Mr. Probz and the last Justin Bieber hit... Radio 104.5 in Philly has a similar playlist. As others said "Alternative" isn't necessarily related to rock anymore.

They know the fine line between "Waves" from Mr. Probz and the last Justin Bieber hit... Radio 104.5 in Philly has a similar playlist. As others said "Alternative" isn't necessarily related to rock anymore.

I listen to them along with a number of other alt outlets for years and have been familiar with CHVCHES music on Alt stations. This latest song is the furthest from Alternative and most kiddie sounding song for them yet.
" isn't necessarily related to rock anymore", Yet it is still an adult format and I am fine with it not being all Alternative. Check that song out on Youtube and you will know what I mean. M&M might not be Alternative but at least it fit into an adult sounding station.

I suspect the entire male audience tunes out when they hear that one CHVCHES song but would remain tuned in for M&M regardless of it not being Alternative.

They probably keep the soccer moms with little kids in the car for that one song but overall the station does not sound like a soccer mom and kiddie music station.

They also dipped in the latest PPM from last month. No doubt this song in very heavy rotation did not help.

They also dipped in the latest PPM from last month. No doubt this song in very heavy rotation did not help.

The March book was identical to the February book in 25-54, and within 0.1 share points in 18-49.

The station is obviously showing in a share range of 2.8 to 2.5, which is enormously within the margin of error of that share level.

Agencies buy on "average rating" and not "average share". Alt has had a 0.2 rating since it debuted.

The March book was identical to the February book in 25-54, and within 0.1 share points in 18-49.

The station is obviously showing in a share range of 2.8 to 2.5, which is enormously within the margin of error of that share level.

Agencies buy on "average rating" and not "average share". Alt has had a 0.2 rating since it debuted.

You are right, ah, my eyesight at that hour. I was looking at the wrong line in PPM 6+, where PLJ is listed the next line below them went from a 2.5 to 2.1.

So no change in NY, up if you solely at Middlesex from a 2.6 to 2.9 and up .1 in Nassu/Suffolk.

I guess Ctrl-Alt-Delete really works, because I just heard a song get deleted. It was "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by the Smashing Pumpkins. The alt-rock giants of the '90s must really be falling out of favor with the Alternative radio audience, or at least the people who care to text the station. Of course they played "How To Save A Life" by The Fray shortly before that, which I thought was a really bad fit and got a "delete" vote from me, and that one made it to the end.

The sweeper that announced the deletion also said there was going to be a show on Sunday nights where listeners could attempt to save the deleted songs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom