• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"We Built This City" WCAU-FM intro version

I heard the song on WOGL today and I was remembering that when it was a current, there was a WCAU-FM-specific version that 98.1 played. Does anyone have it? I think it'd be fun if WOGL played the WCAU version. Doubt casual listeners would even notice but it'd be a nice little nod to the frequency's past.

That song had many different versions depending upon the location of the radio station playing it. I first heard it in San Diego and sure enough....it was San Diego centric.

Thanks Mr. Barton for bringing back memories of grad school at (wait for it, Final Four watchers) Villanova!!! I was shuttling back and forth between Wallingford, PA (weekdays) and the MD Eastern Shore (weekends) at the time.

WBSB "Baltimore's Best B104 Means Music" had a B104 sung intro to WBTC but no mid-song aircheck. (I don't have time to wade through mjb's second link right now, sorry)

ixnay

I have a dub of it on a reel somewhere. Pretty sure the jock featured was Rich Hawkins.

There was a promo copy without Les Garland on the bridge, so stations could customize it.

Remember playing the song on the radio, thinking something along the lines of playing urban renewal demolitions expert with the turntable, having a re-enactment of Steve Dahl's Disco Demolition circa 1979, or having an infamous Midnight Barbecue, with the entree an oozing, dripping, petrochemical environmental hazard comprised of what was left of the album in question.

Did I say how much I hated that song?

I just heard this song on Sirius 80s on 8 and told my children about the WCAU-FM version. I agree, if this song is played on WOGL or any other CBS oops, I mean Entercom station in Philly, they should play the WCAU version.

I have the Memphis version, featuring Steve Conley, then of FM 100 in Memphis, but I only have that snippet of it (not the whole song). I have donated a copy of it to the TN Radio Hall of Fame. It is a small file, so I have no problem with sending out a copy of it to anyone who wants one.

When this song is played on the radio, does it get edited in some way?

I think I've heard a shortened version that omits the disc jockey bit or one in which it is silenced and just the musical bed remains, but most stations I've heard the song on play the original, with the Bay Area chatter left in.

I think KRTH should add that song to the playlist.

I like that song, it's way better than "You Spin Me Right Round".

If it gets airplay in New York, it should get airplay in Los Angeles.

It's not as bad as some of you might think 🙂

If it gets airplay in New York, it should get airplay in Los Angeles.

I can't think of two very large markets that are so different.

The mood of the two cities is radically opposite the one from the other.

Historically, Top 40 has had a different blend or flavor.

And today, LA is 42% Hispanic, mostly from Mexico and Central America. NY is 24% Hispanic, mostly from the Caribbean Basin; the influences of these two groups are radically different and their tastes are well separated. LA is 75% ethnic and foreign born immigrants, with a totally different mix of ethnicities.

All that means that no song should be assumed to be playable in LA just because it gets played or tests well in NY.

You can sell t-shirts in Miami in January. Not so many in Fargo. One has to look at each market individually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom