• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

After a half century on the air, Stan Turner is signing off from KLBB

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...stan-turner-is-signing-off-from-klbb-for-now/

A Legend retires from Twin Cities radio.

Stan Turner pushes a button in his studio at KLBB-1220 in downtown Stillwater, and Pat from West St. Paul is on the line.

Pat has a message and a special request for Turner, who hosts the “All Request and Dedication Show” from noon to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“I’m going to miss this show so much,” Pat said. “I really love this station. I’d like to request — OK, this gives away my age — ‘Chantilly Lace’ by the Big Bopper.”

Next up are Marilyn from Minneapolis, Judy from St. Paul Park and “Beekeeper Bob” from Stillwater. They all sound the same refrain: profound sadness at the loss of their favorite radio station and favorite radio personality.

When KLBB goes off the air at midnight March 31, Turner, whose broadcasting career began 53 years ago in the news department of KDWB-AM, will be looking for a new station to air his program.

“I’m going to miss folks like you so much,” Turner told Pat, a frequent caller. “You have been a member of a great, wonderful, warm, sincere family that seems to be growing as the days and the weeks and the months and the years go by. It’s so sad to see it come to an end.”

At a time when corporate consolidation of radio companies has drastically reduced the local flavor and diversity of stations, KLBB — known for broadcasting local church services and Stillwater Area High School’s football games — stands out.

Turner gets much of the credit, according to KLBB owner Dan Smith.

“Stan Turner is the biggest thing this station has — that and (Green Bay) Packer football,” Smith said. “When you ask people to call in, and they call in and respond — in such high numbers — you know you’re doing something right.”

Turner stands out in a sea of mediocrity, said longtime fan Kevin McKeever of Lakeville.

“In this age of Facebook-Netflix-Amazon mush, this show is original and unique,” he said. “It’s interaction between listeners — that’s what makes it so special. Like I’ve told Stan, ‘You’re not talking to us. You’re talking with us.’ … It’s good, clean, honest fun, and it’s sincere.

“There is no other station in the Twin Cities that can replace it, this whole model,” McKeever said. “Can you see KOOL-108 or KQRS or some other station picking this up? No. It doesn’t fit the corporate mold. To quote Elvis Presley, it’s going to be ‘Heartbreak Hotel.’ ”

The “outpouring of support” for Turner since the news broke earlier this month has touched him greatly, he said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom