• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What happened to the good late night dj's that mixed on fri. and sat. nights?

97chris

Regular Participant
104.5 KKDA has still some pretty good mixers and same with KHKS 106.1. 97.9 KBFB has an annoying host that talks over the mixer every few seconds. When KVIL was AMP they had a pretty good mix that used to come on called Club AMP and that was the best thing on AMP at the time of 103.7 AMP. Anyways what happened to the good dj's/mixers that were on the radio a few years ago? i used to listen to Club AMP when it was on because they had the best mix out of all the stations but some of the mixes i hear now aren't as good as they used to be.

If anything, someone should find DJ Merritt (sp?) from the old 94.5 the Edge and get him on Alt 103.7 to do Club ALT or some sort of Saturday night mix show like the old Edge Club. I can't think of any station here doing some sort of Dance, Techno, Trance, House, EDM, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, or Chill mixes here.

If anything, someone should find DJ Merritt (sp?) from the old 94.5 the Edge and get him on Alt 103.7 to do Club ALT or some sort of Saturday night mix show like the old Edge Club. I can't think of any station here doing some sort of Dance, Techno, Trance, House, EDM, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, or Chill mixes here.
I have never seen a station that isn't Top-40 or Hip-Hop/R&B have a club sort of mix that comes on all though on 98.3 (spanish station) a while ago i heard the dj throw a pretty good mix of english songs till he went back to the regular spanish mix. It would be intresting to hear what Club ALT would sound like. Club AMP had a good mix but some of the songs the dj's played i had never heard before. Club KISS had a really good mix a few years ago but its not as good anymore.

97.9 KBFB has an annoying host that talks over the mixer every few seconds.

They must have heard me because that annoying host is gone! or people were complaing about him, but the mix sounds way better without the annoying host!

"I have never seen a station that isn't Top-40 or Hip-Hop/R&B have a club sort of mix that comes on all though on 98.3 (spanish station) a while ago i heard the dj throw a pretty good mix of english songs till he went back to the regular spanish mix. It would be intresting to hear what Club ALT would sound like. Club AMP had a good mix but some of the songs the dj's played i had never heard before. Club KISS had a really good mix a few years ago but its not as good anymore."

I can think of one, but it's very low powered at 88.9 FM somewhere in South Dallas. I'm listening to their stream now. Their DJ is mixing proper techno.

Last edited:
Unless it's a pirate, 88.9 in Dallas is KETR out of Commerce. I live north of Dallas and reception is spotty at best, but you might get it better.

I can think of one, but it's very low powered at 88.9 FM somewhere in South Dallas. I'm listening to their stream now. Their DJ is mixing proper techno.

What your hearing might be a pirate because Radio Locator shows no 88.9 in Dallas. Unless its really KETR like Triple Fake Jerry said, which i highly doubt it is because i think it's a NPR affiliate, then you may be hearing a pirate.

It could only be KETR if its not a pirate outfit, however KETR does not air techno anything last I checked. (They do play music from time to time but not that)

I miss those days. Sitting by the radio just before 10pm on a Saturday night, waiting for the live club broadcast to start so I can press record and play on the tape deck. I have so many tapes from those days here in Houston and still listen to them (all digital now) in the car when I want to. They just don’t do it like that anymore. What I loved about it was you would be exposed to something that wasn’t being played in regular airplay. It was great and that’s what it was about for me and that’s also what the club experience was about. Now if there is any mixing on the air it’s all the same stuff played in regular rotation just remixed to death. Where’s the fun in that?.

Last edited:
I miss those days. Sitting by the radio just before 10pm on a Saturday night, waiting for the live club broadcast to start so I can press record and play on the tape deck. I have so many tapes from those days here in Houston and still listen to them (all digital now) in the car when I want to. They just don’t do it like that anymore. What I loved about it was you would be exposed to something that wasn’t being played in regular airplay. It was great and that’s what it was about for me and that’s also what the club experience was about. Now if there is any mixing on the air it’s all the same stuff played in regular rotation just remixed to death. Where’s the fun in that?.

Same with me. The memories of listening to the radio on Saturday nights, flipping between Kiss, Edge, Beat, KDL/Casa, and later La Kalle. It was either me listening while playing on my Gamecube or PS2 while at home, or getting off work at Steak N' Shake near Valley View Mall and driving down LBJ. After 2010, I started to ditch radio and began using an mp3 player and downloaded mixshows ranging from dance, techno, house, drum and bass, dubstep, EDM, and latin dance. These days with my smartphone, I can also stream Beatport and Soundcloud. I'd prefer this over radio mixshows since no commercials, DJs, and the same music mixing as if it were regular rotation as you mentioned.

Call me crazy but I like listening to mixshows on Friday and Saturday nights, and on occasions, holidays.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom