• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Greenwood Station Files to Relocate to Bolton

Google street view discloses quite a robust tower at the indicated coords -- (cough) looks like Rohn 25 (cough). Then again at that high frequency a long coathanger might work, eh?

I was kinda hoping they would go back to the old WOKJ site. One never knows... 10-20 years ago the bottom ~50 ft of one of the towers was still in the air.

1000 watts day and 177 watts at night is a far cry from the 50,000 watt/10000 watt blow torch of the old 1550. 1000 watts would barely make into Jackson on these sorry radios they make these days. Including the massive static problem around here.

I remember when you were in line with the signal it would fry your radio it was so loud. I've heard it wall to wall in Tulsa, OK at night and also in the Ozarks. But if you were on the null side you would get nothing. Even downtown Jackson was weak at night. There used to be a 1550 in Shreveport and a 1550 in Mobile that are no longer on the air. The 1550 in Huntsville is still on the air I believe. Looks like they could get a little more power since those two stations are gone, but it would still have to be directional so I doubt anyone would build it these days.

The station in Huntsville is WLOR. They ran 50 kW during the day for eons, 44 watts at night. Around sunset it was a regular catch for me here on the gulf coast. They got a translator and dropped to 28 kW day / 15 watts night.

Hey all -

I saw that WKXG has filed to relocate to "Bolton" on 1550 AM, but with a tower site between Jackson and Clinton on Highway 80:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WKXG

Not sure of what would happen to their translator, or if it is even coming along for the move...

--- Casual Observer

I honestly can't see the FCC approving this move. Relocating a station 3-5 miles due to loss of a tower site - sure, that can be done. Moving an AM station over 70 miles to a market that is pretty well served ( I know... Bolton doesn't have a local radio service, but it's well within coverage of most Jackson and Vicksburg, Ms stations ) - not going to happen.

The station in Huntsville is WLOR. They ran 50 kW during the day for eons, 44 watts at night. Around sunset it was a regular catch for me here on the gulf coast. They got a translator and dropped to 28 kW day / 15 watts night.

I wondered why I haven't heard WLOR in a long time. I used to hear 1600 AM out of Huntsville at sunset also, not anymore. I've noticed more and more that the big night time signals are disappearing now that they have translators. WROA in Gulfport downgraded so I doubt they can pick it up in Honduras anymore.

I wonder why WKXG couldn't resurect the old 1590 frequency instead. It ran 5,000 watts. instead of 1,000 watts.

The 1,000 watts day 177 watts night would be a better signal than the old WOKJ for about 340 out of 360 degrees....
wwh

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom