Is La Mejor Still on? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Is La Mejor Still on?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    I checked KTBZ 94.5 HD-2 earlier today, which is the origination for La Mejor. Nothing but dead air.
    It's back on KTBZ-HD2.

    So that brings the total back to three analog and two HD Regional Mexican stations. If you think that number seems high, then you'd be surprised to find out that we are actually seeing a 5yr low for Reg Mex formats in Houston.

    During this time last year, Houston had FIVE regional Mexican stations in analog (SEVEN if you count KNLY & KNTE.....EIGHT if you count KOVE and it's former overlapping playlist) and one in HD (KLOL-HD2).

  2. #12
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    36,848
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    It's back on KTBZ-HD2.

    So that brings the total back to three analog and two HD Regional Mexican stations. If you think that number seems high, then you'd be surprised to find out that we are actually seeing a 5yr low for Reg Mex formats in Houston.

    During this time last year, Houston had FIVE regional Mexican stations in analog (SEVEN if you count KNLY & KNTE.....EIGHT if you count KOVE and it's former overlapping playlist) and one in HD (KLOL-HD2).
    Remember that the term "Regional Mexican" is a construct invented by Non-Hispanic record retailers for the purpose of organizing the bin displays and separator cards in record stores (remember them?). Since most of them did not understand the language or the genre, they figured that the music from the different parts of Mexico could all be put in a section named after the regions or their genres.

    After a while, the term became generic in the US. A predominantly norteña music station is Regional Mexican. An all ranchera and mariachi station is Regional Mexican. A mostly banda station is Regional Mexican. There are oldies regional formats, and all current ones, too.

    So where it may appear that there are many Regional Mexican stations, there actually may be one each of the many subsets of the format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    So where it may appear that there are many Regional Mexican stations, there actually may be one each of the many subsets of the format.
    Well, when you get to specifics, what is KLTN's specialty? KTJM? KQQK? I'm assuming they all cover different regions of Mexico and Latin America with very little crossovers?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    Well, when you get to specifics, what is KLTN's specialty? KTJM? KQQK? I'm assuming they all cover different regions of Mexico and Latin America with very little crossovers?
    KQQK is mostly Norteño and some Grupero and a few Tejano songs too.

    KTJM is mostly Banda and some rancheras and maybe one or two tejano songs every blue moon.

    KLTN has become more of a talk show station during the week. But aside from that they’re playing some of the same songs as LA RAZA is.

  5. #15
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    36,848
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    Well, when you get to specifics, what is KLTN's specialty? KTJM? KQQK? I'm assuming they all cover different regions of Mexico and Latin America with very little crossovers?
    Norteña used to be from NE México, Banda from Sinaloa, Mariachi from Jalisco and the Bajio, etc. Now there is not much regional differentiation in Mexico as to appeal. However, stations will lean norteña, or banda. Oldies stations will play rancheras and old norteña. And so on. Plenty of songs cross over.

    Regional Mexican is pretty much a 100% creation of Mexican artists. There are big regional hybrids in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, but the interest goes no farther today except for a few crossover songs.

    KLTN does play a very current list, as does KTJM. They both have blends that change according to what the hits are. KQQK is more norteña. KLTN is, though, mostly a talk station in the daytime hours.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  6. #16
    Wanted to add 102.5 up north is still ESPN DEPORTES.


    Mr Eduardo do you think another Norteño station would work here in houston? Some competition to El Norte, a station that doesn’t play so much Banda.

  7. #17
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    36,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtejano View Post
    Wanted to add 102.5 up north is still ESPN DEPORTES.


    Mr Eduardo do you think another Norteño station would work here in houston? Some competition to El Norte, a station that doesn’t play so much Banda.
    Norteña is going through a weak period; all the new hits are banda. It's not a good moment to do that format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Norteña is going through a weak period; all the new hits are banda. It's not a good moment to do that format.
    I'd love to have just one Regional Mexican station in any of the varieties here in Connecticut. I've always enjoyed the sounds of Mexican popular genres, even if I don't understand most Spanish, while the ultra-rhythmic Caribbean genres and the homogenized Hispanic CHR leave me cold. But I'd imagine the demographics of Connecticut's Hispanic population make that impossible, unless someone wants to put it on an LPFM or an HD subchannel. Wallingford, which is in my area, has a little Mexican community (mainly employed by a big chemical plant off Route 5), complete with restaurants, grocery, taqueria and clothing store, but Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are dominant in the bigger cities.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Remember that the term "Regional Mexican" is a construct invented by Non-Hispanic record retailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Regional Mexican is pretty much a 100% creation of Mexican artists.
    Sorry to be picky, but that amounts to --- Music called "Regional Mexican" is from either Non-Hispanic record retailers, or from Mexican artists . . . take your pick.

  10. #20
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    36,848
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatVoice22 View Post
    Sorry to be picky, but that amounts to --- Music called "Regional Mexican" is from either Non-Hispanic record retailers, or from Mexican artists . . . take your pick.
    You are taking things out of context.

    In one discussion, the issue was the name itself, "Regional Mexican". The name was created by non-Hispanic US record retailers.

    In the other discussion, I was addressing the generalization about the music "across Latin America". Regional Mexican music (called, properly, "grupera") is nearly 100% created by Mexican and Mexican heritage artists.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us