• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February 2018 Ratings

That's the biggest blind spot in the radio industry; Social media. This is where the listeners are, but the radio industry doesn't work it as hard as they should. Or they completely ignore it,

Depends on the company. Some companies require their air talent to use social media. Cumulus has a vice president of social media who also blogs on All Access for the rest of the industry. Hubbard uses social media but it's not very effective, because its generic and coming from the station rather than the air talent. Hopefully that will change once their full staff is in place. If air talent uses social media as an extension of their on-air presentation, with visual content and contesting, it can be more effective.

Some listeners don't like the way air talent promote social media and online content while on the air. In their opinion, radio stations are telling their listeners to "turn off the radio and go someplace else." That's not exactly what's happening. People use multiple forms of media, often at the same time.

Although I rarely go to a station's website after I hear something being promoted on-air, I don't mind this being done in most cases. The one exception is weather-related information like school closings. I'm probably not like most people, but I give myself an hour to get ready in the mornings. While this is doable, it doesn't give me time to log onto a computer to check on something before I have to get out the door.

Don't blame the format, blame the presentation. The Wolf got great ratings when Fitz was doing mornings. That's when they beat KMPS. Then KMPS hired a strong morning show that toppled Fitz. When you look back to the glory days at KMPS, when Ichabod Caine was doing wakeups, people listened to HIM more than the format. He had strong listener loyalty that exceeded the format, at a time when the format was also extremely strong. I think that's lacking at both The Wolf and KNUC now. Seattle listeners identify with strong personalities. But Hubbard has gone on a hiring spree, brought in a lot of people with local connections, and if they do a lot of outreach, they might be able to build that kind of loyalty again. However, I'd suggest to improve their website and social media. The website is very bland and generic, and so is the social media.

Those actually in Seattle know the market's worst-kept secret in Fitz having lobbied hard to get the job at 98.9. Instead, Hubbard hired a morning show from 3,000 miles away, that's quite a "local connection".

Next time try factoring in things such as marketing campaigns, outdoor, a music refresh, new strategy and/or new management (such as a Program Director). Some local knowledge of what actually happened is far more accurate than broad speculation picked up on a Google search or Wikipedia.

Those actually in Seattle know the market's worst-kept secret in Fitz having lobbied hard to get the job at 98.9. Instead, Hubbard hired a morning show from 3,000 miles away, that's quite a "local connection".

FYI The morning show's local connection is Karen "Red" Daiss, who's from Seattle. The two other recent hires are also from Seattle.

Some local knowledge of what actually happened is far more accurate than broad speculation picked up on a Google search or Wikipedia.

I agree...that's why I'd' recommend they bring in former KMPSer Tony Thomas to lead their new media campaign.

It's still early in the game, but so far the format shuffling perpetrated by Entercom doesn't seem to be working terribly well.
Almost NONE of 94.1 KMPS' listenership has migrated to The Wolf.

Was it worth blowing up KMPS (and all that ad revenue) to "help" The Wolf and bow a format that will probably garner mostly 55+ listeners?

Ironically, the one way in which the format chaos has helped Entercom was probably uintended: thanks to the demise of KVRQ, the ratings at KISW are sky high right now! I doubt KISW needed much assistance in the first place, but I'm sure Entercom will gladly accept the ratings gains.

Was it worth blowing up KMPS (and all that ad revenue) to "help" The Wolf and bow a format that will probably garner mostly 55+ listeners?

I agree, and part of the reason is the older part of the KMPS demo probably loves this new format.

I think Entercom realizes this and it may be why they didn't launch this format on WTDY in Philadelphia. It would cannibalize WXTU.

Meanwhile in Chicago, iHeart is adding older, softer AC songs to WLIT. We'll see what that does to the country station there.

I read an interview with someone at Entercom, who justified blowing up KMPS by saying they knew all the people at The Wolf, so they stuck with what they knew. Seems like a bad idea when you're absorbing a lot of new employees.

Many years ago, someone told me that country music fans were the most terrestrial radio loyal of all people. He explained that factors like aversion to high-tech, blue collar incomes, need for relatable personalities and local connection were the chief reasons. (As is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...") And these would ensure country radio's ultimate survival for decades to come.

Of course "many years ago" was 2004.

In 2004, smartphones didn't exist. Neither did the data network coverage we have now. Prices for broadband were much higher and the only way you could hear streaming radio was off your home computer. Unlimited mobile data was non-existent. The radio industry was obsessed with the possibilities of HD Radio and completely dismissed satellite radio and streaming as geek fads that were on the cusp of bankruptcy. Year after year on this board, we read people saying how broke satellite radio was and streaming was never going to amount to anything.

But time, trends and tech changes while we're doing other things. Now Sirius/XM is buying out iHeartMedia and nearly every major market station has an app or is on a streaming portal like iHeart or TuneIn.

Yet even with all that, for some strange reason, the radio industry still acts like everyone is still glued to their transistor pocket radios and ghetto blasters.

So what happened to the KMPS listeners? Did they all suddenly become Adele and Billy Ocean fans? Where's that BIG bump to KKWF everybody was predicting? And KNUC should be up like a rocket by now. What's going on?

When KWJZ flipped to KLCK, I posted a cautionary warning that I got laughed off this board for. That you have to be really careful when making these changes because satellite and streaming were viable options by that time (and even more so today), and you can seriously risk losing terrestrial radio listeners defecting to the new mediums that you may never get back if you coldly flip the format with no warning. Listeners don't like being jerked around. They have the access and if they're paying for it, they're going to use it. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle. The market will not stand for it (as the Net Neutrality battle has shown.) And older listeners, though not advertiser friendly, were the most likely to stick to traditional radio because it's what they grew up with. They're more familiar with it and they like it because it's simple: You turn it on, it works. No fussing around with crazy menus, no Bluetooth syncing, no buffering or dropouts. To those who grew up with traditional radio, it's perfection.

Most younger listeners want far more than traditional radio on it's own can give. And even worse, they're also far more fickle. To drive older listeners to streaming and satellite was a bad move in my opinion, even though I can understand the demands of the ad agencies and the first results of PPM didn't look very good for older skewing formats. I still thought it was premature to abandon them altogether. And there was still a lot for PPM to straighten out back then

And as KSWD has proven, the listeners to older leaning formats are there. But back to my starting point; Country radio, which was once seemed invincible to higher tech alternate radio mediums is now finding itself in the same quagmire as the rest of the music formats. The KMPS listeners went somewhere. And if not KKWF or KNUC, then where? Ruling out alien abduction, that leaves only two other possibilities.

One possible solution I thought back then was getting the manufacturers to install PPM in all new radios. That would give a far more accurate view of who's listening to what and where far better than any selected panel. But then we run into another problem. Manufacturers are not interested in traditional radios. At all. They want to make higher tech goodies because that's what everyone wants, not reboot a 100+ year old technology. And secondly, that can already be done with streaming. Nielsen now gathers listener data this way.

The writing is still on the wall as it was in 2010. Only it's now become a full blown mural. And it's getting hard to ignore.

The only way to accurately tell where the listeners went would be to measure the entirety of the listeners. They could have gone to the internet, but they also could have gone to other stations fairly easily. I mean, other stations saw an increase.

Since the 1990's a lot of people have been friendly to more than one format, I think to an extent greater than those who grew up before then. I haven't seen any studies proving such, but I saw the tendency anecdotally in the 90's, but see it even more since then, at least in people I know.

An example (albeit anecdotal) would be my neighbors, who grew up in the late 90's. They like rock, hip-hop, and country. In equal doses. Now, maybe they're the exception to the rule but perhaps a lot of these almost 30-somethings aren't so locked into one format as we may think they are.

It's possible that a large chunk of KMPS listeners decided to tune to another station, like KQMV, or KISW, or KPWK, or whatever.

Or they just decided to stream. There is that option, too, of course.

Building a brand takes time. People aren't scanning their radio stations seeking out new stations. Plus consider that the holidays are traditionally a very low ratings spot for country stations. And all KNUC had to offer was country songs, the same songs they could get at the Wolf or anyplace else. There was a time when The Wolf was kicking KMPS's butt. That time wasn't that long ago. Then magically those listeners came back to KMPS, because they gave them a reason to come back. And the reason wasn't just the music. The station completely reinvented itself.

I've read people say that Hubbard doesn't have patience with formats at this frequency. But if they want this to work, they have to be patient. Because it will take time to build a brand. I think they're starting to go about it the right way. The big concert season is just a few weeks away. KNUC has to be on location at all the big concerts. Maybe even host a few concerts themselves. Outreach.

I read an interview with someone at Entercom, who justified blowing up KMPS by saying they knew all the people at The Wolf, so they stuck with what they knew. Seems like a bad idea when you're absorbing a lot of new employees.

Entercom should've retained both stations. They certainly should've retained the station that was winning the lion's share of revenue, and that would be KMPS.

Once 98.9 gets its act together (someone PLEASE change that hideous logo!!!) - hiring former KMPS personalities is a great start - I think Entercom will deeply regret its decision. They could've had a Country radio monopoly. Now, they're going to be stuck with a weak 100.7 The Wolf and a new station (The Sound) whose revenue will be nowhere close to what KMPS generated.

Building a brand takes time. People aren't scanning their radio stations seeking out new stations. Plus consider that the holidays are traditionally a very low ratings spot for country stations. And all KNUC had to offer was country songs, the same songs they could get at the Wolf or anyplace else. There was a time when The Wolf was kicking KMPS's butt. That time wasn't that long ago. Then magically those listeners came back to KMPS, because they gave them a reason to come back. And the reason wasn't just the music. The station completely reinvented itself.

I've read people say that Hubbard doesn't have patience with formats at this frequency. But if they want this to work, they have to be patient. Because it will take time to build a brand. I think they're starting to go about it the right way. The big concert season is just a few weeks away. KNUC has to be on location at all the big concerts. Maybe even host a few concerts themselves. Outreach.

'Country 98-9' is a very bland brand, and don't get me started on that stale grocery store pizza box logo. Factoria shows little creativity in their product.

FYI The morning show's local connection is Karen "Red" Daiss, who's from Seattle. The two other recent hires are also from Seattle.

You missed the point of my post.

If the morning show's local connection is someone who lived in Seattle 20 years ago, that's nothing. Thanks to Amazon and a few others, the city and the region is nothing like what it was in the 90s.

I agree...that's why I'd' recommend they bring in former KMPSer Tony Thomas to lead their new media campaign.

Why? To take radio stations to the next level, management must bring back radio people from the past? Or does the name Tony Thomas happen to be a name you came across in a Google search when learning about KMPS's history?

Which brings me back to my point. I don't see any local observations or reasoning why The Wolf and KMPS went back and forth other than stuff found on Google or Wikipedia. The notion morning shows singularly carry a radio station couldn't be more false. Don't get me wrong, they help, but they're not the only component needed.

Why? To take radio stations to the next level, management must bring back radio people from the past?

Because he's qualified. Or doesn't that matter? But I happen to know him.

I don't see any local observations or reasoning why The Wolf and KMPS went back and forth other than stuff found on Google or Wikipedia.

What difference does it make? You're just going to shoot em down anyway.

Because he's qualified. Or doesn't that matter? But I happen to know him.

Did you ask him to apply?

What difference does it make? You're just going to shoot em down anyway.

There is nothing to shoot down. The given impression is a lack of what really goes on here in Seattle and specific catalysts, speaking only in generalities used on every other market board you post on plus a ridiculous notion that morning shows are the only reason Country stations here in Seattle move up or down.

Go ask Tony Thomas what other things were done in the KMPS's heyday. He may even provide thought starters on what Carey Curelop and Kenny Jay did.

The given impression is a lack of what really goes on here in Seattle and specific catalysts,

I wasn't aware that was a requirement, or that you are the one in charge.

I've worked in a lot of markets including Seattle, thank you.

If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore. It's easy to do.

Amazing how much speculation can be generated based on a few hundred strap-on meters out of a pop count of 4 million.

I wasn't aware that was a requirement, or that you are the one in charge.

I've worked in a lot of markets including Seattle, thank you.

If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore. It's easy to do.

AQH... He's a short little Drek, or a Shmendrik a true Gonif if I have ever met one... who always wears shorts year round works in Factoria and drives a Lexus SUV thinking he's in charge but has no real sway.

AQH... He's a short little Drek, or a Shmendrik a true Gonif if I have ever met one... who always wears shorts year round works in Factoria and drives a Lexus SUV thinking he's in charge but has no real sway.

And you put bacon on your bagel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom