• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WQXR

I am in Atlanta, GA, and a bit confused. On my iPhone iHeart app, I listen, and enjoy, WQXR radio. The format is American Standards. When I went, via my laptop, to the Wqxr web, the music and station advertises as a Classical station on freq 105.9.

What gives?
Is the WQXR I am listening to via iHeart an HD station?? I believe the freq for that is 104.9

I am in Atlanta, GA, and a bit confused. On my iPhone iHeart app, I listen, and enjoy, WQXR radio. The format is American Standards. When I went, via my laptop, to the Wqxr web, the music and station advertises as a Classical station on freq 105.9.

The standards station was originally WQEW, which was the AM station for WQXR, which is a classical station.

But WQXR is now owned by WNYC, the public station in New York.

This might be what you're talking about:

http://www.wnyc.org/music/playlists/show/american-standards/2018/mar/19/

There are other companies whose stations are carried on the iHeart app. I believe all of the Cumulus stations are on the iHeart App. Apparently, all of the stations owned by WNYC are on that app.

On my iPhone iHeart app, I listen, and enjoy, WQXR radio. The format is American Standards. When I went, via my laptop, to the Wqxr web, the music and station advertises as a Classical station on freq 105.9.

What gives?

The standards you stream come through WNYC's The Jonathan Channel. If you look at the All Live Streams page on WQXR's website, you'll see a "Listen Live" link to "WQXR's American Standards."

Incidentally, the channel is named for Jonathan Schwartz, who had worked at WNEW and WQEW before joining WNYC. Mr. Schwartz was fired last December (view story).

There are other companies whose stations are carried on the iHeart app. I believe all of the Cumulus stations are on the iHeart App. Apparently, all of the stations owned by WNYC are on that app.

I can listen to WNYC on iHeart and hear NPR's morning edition live. I think its the only NPR station on the app (at least that I could find.) Although they do a lot of NY news (obviously) they also air much of Morning Edition, which is an awesome news program.

Oh, I remember Johnathan well...along with Pete Fornatale, Alison Steele, The Nightbird..Scott Muni....voices long gone, and the voices that made WNEW the most progressive rock station at the time.

THANKS ALL!

I can listen to WNYC on iHeart and hear NPR's morning edition live. I think its the only NPR station on the app (at least that I could find.) Although they do a lot of NY news (obviously) they also air much of Morning Edition, which is an awesome news program.

It is a "feature" of NPR One to limit you to your local member station. If you were in Philly they would give you WHYY. The stations would really prefer NPR had zero digital initiatives, so this is surely a concession to the stations.

It is a "feature" of NPR One to limit you to your local member station. If you were in Philly they would give you WHYY. The stations would really prefer NPR had zero digital initiatives, so this is surely a concession to the stations.

You're wrong about that. I'm in SC and I can listen to WNYC on iHeart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom