• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why not alt rock on palm beach

I see that the shark does reach a good deal of the palm beach but with the demographics how does the palm beaches have no alt rock station?

I see that the shark does reach a good deal of the palm beach but with the demographics how does the palm beaches have no alt rock station?

Demographics?

The median age of the county (it is a one-county MSA) is 45 per the 2016 ACS survey. By comparison, the LA metro has a median of 35 and Philadelphia (the County, not the Metro) is 33.

Less than 25% of the population is 25-49, and half of that is ethnic.

Not a total impediment, but for an owner, a discouragement. Maybe if we see the recent crowd of new Alt stations achieving success someone will decide that the Beaches needs an Alt station.

Remember something. 104.3, The Shark's frequency, was once a Palm Beach station/signal. (WEAT-FM) They were able to move it to the Miami market with the city of license as Miramar. So, I'm sure their signal is still pretty good in Palm Beach. Take a look at the map. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WSFS-FM

104.3 is located in the same "neighborhood" as nearly all the other Miami MSA C class stations. There are only a couple of exceptions, like WRTO down in Redlands, that are not in that are along I-95 at the Dade-Broward line.

In general, whether one of those stations is usable in the PB market has more to do with what is on adjacent channels and the uniqueness and superiority of the format.

A dozen and a third commercial FMs along Countyline Rd. all have very similar signals,
but if we are going to count inches of height and individual blocks north,
then 105.9 beats all the others, but only ever so slightly.

Several years ago, the 96.9 station in Fort Myers had a CP to erect a two kilofoot tower in the Everglades which would have
allowed them to place a fair rimshot contour across Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, but it never happened.

I live in lantana area and get the shark in HD perfectly, probably because it’s a new antennna. Big 105.9 has trouble here in HD and doesn’t even come in near southern blvd while the shark still does. Still I think WPB needs an alt rock station

Several years ago, the 96.9 station in Fort Myers had a CP to erect a two kilofoot tower in the Everglades...but it never happened.
It was the one on 96.1...my bad.

104.3 is located in the same "neighborhood" as nearly all the other Miami MSA C class stations. There are only a couple of exceptions, like WRTO down in Redlands, that are not in that are along I-95 at the Dade-Broward line.

In general, whether one of those stations is usable in the PB market has more to do with what is on adjacent channels and the uniqueness and superiority of the format.

My point is that they likely have a better rim shot signal into Palm Beach County than other stations that might have interference because of other signals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom