• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February Radio Ratings

Interesting that ME is a Top 5 station, but its morning show isn't in the Top 10.

They don't have a morning show, other then the me TV FM morning reports in the mornings there are no live voices that are own the mornings, Andrea Darlas obviously records her report as when her report runs, she is done in the Showcase Studio.

Another example of how 12+ does not accurately reflect the business reality of a market.

WRME is 23rd in 25-54, and 26th in 18-49.

The problem here is that agency accounts seldom buy 55+, and there are few local accounts that can afford a metro-coverage radio station.

As I've indicated in previous posts, I don't disagree with you at all when it comes to how agencies view older demos. I definitely get it...and subscribe to that line of thinking myself.

But listening to the station....not easy because I just bought a new car with a radio that distorts the audio.....I'm impressed with the volume of business I'm hearing. banks, insurance, travel, car dealers, entertainment, retail, to name a few. It's clear that they're missing out on major ad agency buys, but they seem to have a nice lineup of local businesses. In most cases these are looking for full-market coverage. Fortunately, there's enough critical mass of that sort of stuff in a market the size of Chicago to make something like "MeTV-FM" viable.

And yes, as one might expect, there's a fair share of "medical" advertising. Not of the "snake oil/not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease" variety as is heard on the likes of Sirius/XM and other nationally distributed radio. But rather, it's basically local vision care providers, cosmetic surgeons, health clubs, etc.

As I've indicated in previous posts, I don't disagree with you at all when it comes to how agencies view older demos. I definitely get it...and subscribe to that line of thinking myself.

But listening to the station....not easy because I just bought a new car with a radio that distorts the audio.....I'm impressed with the volume of business I'm hearing. banks, insurance, travel, car dealers, entertainment, retail, to name a few. It's clear that they're missing out on major ad agency buys, but they seem to have a nice lineup of local businesses. In most cases these are looking for full-market coverage. Fortunately, there's enough critical mass of that sort of stuff in a market the size of Chicago to make something like "MeTV-FM" viable.

And yes, as one might expect, there's a fair share of "medical" advertising. Not of the "snake oil/not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease" variety as is heard on the likes of Sirius/XM and other nationally distributed radio. But rather, it's basically local vision care providers, cosmetic surgeons, health clubs, etc.

Is it now considered unlikely that the FCC will ever close the "Franken FM" loophole, especially now that these pseudo-radio stations are getting listeners and advertisers? I recall reading here a couple of years ago that LPTV dressed in FM clothing would be on its way out in a short time, but here they still remain.

Hopefully this station proves that the format can be viable. That would open up at least the 55-64 demo as a useful target, and give lots more options to stations.

I fear that the station is carrying lots of spots, but at lower rates. But as long as they can make money, it's a perfect use for an otherwise difficult to use frequency. Many formats have been tried on those FrankenFMs and this is the first one to work so splendidly.

Wanna bet....

Is it now considered unlikely that the FCC will ever close the "Franken FM" loophole, especially now that these pseudo-radio stations are getting listeners and advertisers? I recall reading here a couple of years ago that LPTV dressed in FM clothing would be on its way out in a short time, but here they still remain.

The FCC will slam close this loophole when it feels it's time. Vulture Tech will not stop them no matter how much whining their lobbying firm does.

The best thing Neil Sabin and his folks could do is buy WKQX and move the format there smack dab in the middle of the AC pile. They're a ready made combination. Q101 needs a new home (physically) and ME need a new signal which offers certainty of continuous operation...on their own terms...

RR

Maybe the hype of the New 104.3 WBMX is wearing off since their numbers have declined. Most complaints are of the repetition of the playlist. I truly believe their success will be short lived.

The best thing Neil Sabin and his folks could do is buy WKQX and move the format there smack dab in the middle of the AC pile. They're a ready made combination. Q101 needs a new home (physically) and ME need a new signal which offers certainty of continuous operation...on their own terms...

RR

You think they have $20 million sitting around?

Maybe the hype of the New 104.3 WBMX is wearing off since their numbers have declined. Most complaints are of the repetition of the playlist. I truly believe their success will be short lived.

I sure hope so, I have not listened to the station since they changed formats and have no plans to listening

I fear that the station is carrying lots of spots, but at lower rates. But as long as they can make money, it's a perfect use for an otherwise difficult to use frequency. Many formats have been tried on those FrankenFMs and this is the first one to work so splendidly.

I haven't timed it, but the spot load doesn't seem to be excessive. They have long music sweeps, especially middays, which apparently is their most successful daypart. They strike me as having found a nice "sweet spot" with the proper music mix along with a healthy, but not obtrusive commercial load. I have no idea what rates look like, but maybe if their rates are low, they can handle that, because their overhead is probably one of the lowest, if not THE lowest in town.

If indeed MeTV-FM has found their sweet spot, hopefully they're smart enough to stay in it, and not get greedy.

Its definitely "not your fathers oldies station". Softer...but not too soft...stuff from the 60s and 70s. A few 50s and early 80s. Elton John, Eagles, Mamas & Papas, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Billy Joel, etc. Unfortunately, they don't stream. BUT there is a stream I sometimes listen to that comes very, very close to how MeTV-FM sound (or would sound with jocks). 2CH from Sydney, Austrialia. They brand themselves as "Easy Classics" and "Easy 1170". Same type of music blend and long sweeps, albeit with an Aussie tunes thrown in here and there.

I haven't timed it, but the spot load doesn't seem to be excessive. They have long music sweeps, especially middays, which apparently is their most successful daypart. They strike me as having found a nice "sweet spot" with the proper music mix along with a healthy, but not obtrusive commercial load. I have no idea what rates look like, but maybe if their rates are low, they can handle that, because their overhead is probably one of the lowest, if not THE lowest in town.

If indeed MeTV-FM has found their sweet spot, hopefully they're smart enough to stay in it, and not get greedy.

They actually might have more form the 1950s then you think. I mean think to yourself when was the last time you heard songs from the 1950's, played on another station? They have never streamed before, and i don't think that will change.

I hope so! Maybe, if it fails, they could bring back a good '80s-based classic hits format, a la K-Earth 101! 94.7's presentation doesn't quite do it for me.

I don't believe Chicago needs two country radio stations so seeing the poor ratings for 95.5, I am wondering why the station can't flip to Classic Rock or Soft AC. Any opinions?

I don't believe Chicago needs two country radio stations so seeing the poor ratings for 95.5, I am wondering why the station can't flip to Classic Rock or Soft AC. Any opinions?

Companies don't typically make format decisions this way. iHeart needs a Chicago clear for its country format. Thus, a second country station.

Meanwhile, Chicago already has a classic rock.

Companies don't typically make format decisions this way. iHeart needs a Chicago clear for its country format. Thus, a second country station.

Meanwhile, Chicago already has a classic rock.

So what radio format do you think Chicago needs that they don't already have?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom