• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGVL Flips to Classic Hits "EZ Rock"

LibertyNT

Star Participant
Noticed this past weekend that Classic Country KGVL "Friendlee" 1400 AM flipped to Classic Hits branded as "EZ Rock 105.9". Can't say I'm surprised considering how horrible the past branding was for "Friendlee", though I had figured E Networks would keep it country. It'll be interesting to see how this version of Classic Hits works out for KGVL considering they've had the format more than once in the past. Semi-related KGVL does have an application for an additional translator on 107.7 FM.

Hue didn't believe in it and said it added hiss so it was shutoff while he owned it, I haven't checked with my stereo tuners to see if the new owners turned it back on. AFAIK the equipment is still all there but switched off.

I remember emailing with Hue Beavers some years back and he liked the C-QUAM AM Stereo. He had KAAM sounding great about 10-15 years ago, I recall he said he had the audio bandwidth out to 10-12 kHz. I think it was digital "HD" he didn't like because of the added noise. And of course the C-QUAM had to go away when KAAM tried "HD" for a while. But that's been a while and I may be all wrong. Some time ago now, I noticed KGVL was the only AM Stereo station in Texas listed on the AM Stereo web site still maintained by Chris Cuff. I could pick it up in stereo during the day. But that's been since they were oldies last time around!

IIRC it had more to do with the age of KGVL's equipment. It hasn't been updated since the 70s or early 80s.

Probably so, just getting too old! I remember talking to an engineer at WBAP after their trial HD run, was told they had no plans to return the AM Stereo mainly because the equipment was getting old and some parts were no longer available for repairs.

Meanwhile this morning I got out my old CD-R of KAAM 770 and Hubcap Carter from August 2003. Sure sounds good! Audio provided by my original Sony SRF-A100. Hubbie forgets to turn down the telephone audio while taking a "suggestion"!

I remember emailing with Hue Beavers some years back and he liked the C-QUAM AM Stereo. He had KAAM sounding great about 10-15 years ago, I recall he said he had the audio bandwidth out to 10-12 kHz. I think it was digital "HD" he didn't like because of the added noise. And of course the C-QUAM had to go away when KAAM tried "HD" for a while. But that's been a while and I may be all wrong. Some time ago now, I noticed KGVL was the only AM Stereo station in Texas listed on the AM Stereo web site still maintained by Chris Cuff. I could pick it up in stereo during the day. But that's been since they were oldies last time around!

Musicradio Double-L S, KLLS, 1300 Lumberton/Beaumont is in Cquam stereo...classic top40 60s-90s too!

Musicradio Double-L S, KLLS, 1300 Lumberton/Beaumont is in Cquam stereo...classic top40 60s-90s too!

Have you heard it lately? I just tried looking up KLLS, no stream available anywhere I tried, and radio-locator says "KLLS-AM Technical Details:Station Status: Currently Off the Air AM Station".

The switch to classic hits happened in February. I messaged them at the time to see if they were still in AM Stereo. They are not.
My Sony SRF-42 AMAX AM Stereo radio makes them sound very good though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom