• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Daylight Not Saving 1st hour of Coast to Coast AM on 550

Well, it's official - 550 has now copied programming strategy (an honestly asinine programming strategy) of 960 and axed the 1st hour of "Coast to Coast AM," when some of the scheduled guests appear. Thanks to the brainiacs at I Heart Bankruptcy, we now join the 2nd hour when the show's already in progress.

Thanks, I Heart Bankruptcy. Will have to try again in October or whenever the 1st hour moves back to 11:00pm start time locally.

Well, is it iHeart's fault or is it that Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time? I see from KFYI's website that KFYI does run Rush and Hannity live. It always delays Beck till 7pm, all year long. I guess during daylight saving time, it records and replays an hour of Clyde Lewis for airing at 10pm, then Coast to Coast starts at 11pm. That's the right time when Arizona follows Mountain Standard Time but not when it follows Pacific Daylight Time. West Coast stations start Coast to Coast at 10pm.

But what would be the solution? Cancel Clyde Lewis from March to November? Delay each hour of Coast to Coast by one hour so each hour plays in the right order? I assume the missing hour of Coast to Coast does gets played at 2am, Arizona Time. There are plenty of cassette recorders on eBay if you'd like to hook it to a timer and record Coast to Coast - Hour One while you're sleeping, then listen back later in the day.

Actually, I'm not such a big fan of Coast to Coast's first half hour when George Noory does a news review. I'm not really listening for him to tell me about current events. I know he's following Art Bell's framework. But the reason we listen is for the paranormal and unusual. I really don't need Noory to do current events or political topics, as he and the weekend hosts sometimes do.

...I see from KFYI's website that KFYI does run Rush and Hannity live...then Coast to Coast starts at 11pm.

If their website is up to date, then KFYI does NOT run El Rushbo or Hannity live (during DST). 9-noon and noon-3 would be live airings currently--so KFYI is doing the same thing they've done for years in the "summer," doing a one-hour delay. KNST 790 Tucson is also doing the one-hour delay bit (again, assuming their look-alike webpage is current); in some previous summers, K-Nasty did run Rush and Sean LIVE! year-round.

As to C2CAM, in previous years, KFYI did air it live starting at 10:00 PM during DST. (I don't recall 2017, but this was correct prior to then.)

Well, is it iHeart's fault or is it that Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time?

But what would be the solution? Cancel Clyde Lewis from March to November? \

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is I Heart Bankruptcy's fault because up until recently - the 10:00 hour was either reserved for the 1st hour of CTC-AM or the last hour of the prior night's show. The first (or last) hour of CTC is SUPPOSED to be at 10:00am local time -- that's the way it has always been on 550 since the beer baron days.

So, yes, cancelling Clyde Lewis would be a practical solution. Did nobody at I Heart Bankruptcy realize what's SUPPOSED to be on 550 weeknights at 10? I mean, seriously -- this isn't on exactly par with pre-empting the Super Bowl to play "Heidi," but it is certainly a head-scratcher - CTC-AM listeners are expected to welcome some hour-long filler podcast in place of CTC-AM's first hour? I'm sorry, but no - why don't we leave podcast-based content to podcasts and let "real" radio programming have that 10:00 hour?

CTC-AM listeners are expected to welcome some hour-long filler podcast in place of CTC-AM's first hour? I'm sorry, but no - why don't we leave podcast-based content to podcasts and let "real" radio programming have that 10:00 hour?

Honest question: is the podcast paying for clearance? Paid always trumps barter.

Considering the size of the audience, lifting a finger to change how C2C runs twice a year for daylight saving time will cost more than that show will ever bill on KFYI.

Honest question: is the podcast paying for clearance? Paid always trumps barter.

Clyde Lewis Ground Zero and Coast To Coast are both Premiere Radio Networks syndicated shows, owned by iHeart.

Not sure where the OP gets the idea that Lewis is a podcast.

Clyde Lewis Ground Zero and Coast To Coast are both Premiere Radio Networks syndicated shows, owned by iHeart.

Not sure where the OP gets the idea that Lewis is a podcast.

Ground Zero had been on 1230 until it went Spanish. I'm not sure if KFYI is mandated to carry it due to its shared ownership, but I would guess there's more people who would rather listen to C2C live.

If KFYI doesn't want C2C, why don't they let KTAR have it? Bonneville carries it on KIRO in Seattle, so it's not like they are against airing it due to their ownership.

Let's remember that in the Eastern Time Zone, Coast to Coast airs at 1am. In the Central Time Zone, it airs at 12am. So it isn't an evil plot to start Coast to Coast at 11pm in Phoenix. There's no evidence starting the show at 11pm year round shows antipathy toward C2C. I might argue that repeating several hours of the show at 2 or 3am, as is typical of Pacific and Mountain Time Zone stations, is unusual. It's a good show, but even Rush doesn't get a second run on most of his affiliates.

I really don't think it's such a great idea to run the last hour of the previous Coast to Coast at 10pm during the winter. Often that last hour is just phone calls if a guest isn't lined up, or the second half of a guest's two hour appearance if that guest is slated for the final two hours of the show. I suppose on Monday nights, that 10pm hour would be the last hour of whoever is doing the Sunday night show.

I didn't realize KFYI records and delays by an hour Rush and Hannity in the warmer months, as well as Clyde Lewis. And it records and delays Glenn Beck all year. So maybe it should simply run Coast to Coast in order, adjusted for the daylight time shift. Record each hour of the live show and play it on the air an hour later, between March and October.

Let's remember that in the Eastern Time Zone, Coast to Coast airs at 1am. In the Central Time Zone, it airs at 12am. So it isn't an evil plot to start Coast to Coast at 11pm in Phoenix.

Well, it's no "evil plot," but there's no reasonable explanation why 550 won't air the 1st hour of CTC-AM live locally at 10:00pm -- when all other affiliates in our time zone get the 1st hour at 10:00pm -- only to resume the already-in-progress broadcast at 11:00pm. As in: It's a four-hour radio show -- 550 IS ELECTING TO ONLY BROADCAST THREE OF THOSE FOUR HOURS. Why won't 550 air the entire show like every other affiliate does? The only "evil plot" I see here is I Heart Bankruptcy chasing away listeners who may (mistakenly) think 550 dumped Noury for this this Clyde Lewis fellow -- who, can we at least be honest here?, wasn't even on 550 until fairly recently -- and therefore can find something else to do at 10:00pm locally. It's my contention that this was an absolutely boneheaded decision by 550 and I have yet to hear any persuasive explanation to the contrary.

It's my contention that this was an absolutely boneheaded decision by 550 and I have yet to hear any persuasive explanation to the contrary.

I'd like a persuasive explanation why Arizona doesn't follow the rest of the country when it comes to the clock. That's the real boneheaded decision if you ask me.

I'd like a persuasive explanation why Arizona doesn't follow the rest of the country when it comes to the clock. That's the real boneheaded decision if you ask me.

Spend time here in the summer and you'll know why. Nobody wants a 9:30 sunset when the temperature is over 100 degrees.

We're just too damn lazy to advance our clocks...even though most automatically adjust themselves. So axe yourself...do we have more in common with New Mexico or California? The Nurse and I say neither...let's have our own Zonie time zone.

I've been outside after midnight and the temperature is still 100. The clock isn't the reason.

True, but in the sun it's around 120 when it's 100 in the shade. And 170 in the car when the sun is out. We don't need no steenkeeng daylight time, and we don't need anyone telling us we do. We know what we need and what we don't.

That's a debate not appropriate for this thread or this board. But it is a legitimate debate.

Here's how it applies to KFYI: We know we need to run all these syndicated shows, and we have to cut an hour, so we need to cut the first hour of C2C.

If you don't like it, stream the show on the iHeart App from some other market. We know what we need and we don't need complainers or whiners.

Here's how it applies to KFYI: We know we need to run all these syndicated shows, and we have to cut an hour, so we need to cut the first hour of C2C.

If you don't like it, stream the show on the iHeart App from some other market. We know what we need and we don't need complainers or whiners.

You need to necessarily cut the 1st hour of a 4-hour program but only during certain times of the year? Really? I didn't know CTC-AM is now a 3-hour program. That's like Harkins saying they need to cut the 1st hour of, let's say, any comic book movie because, well, they need more time for all those trailers paying the bills, so even though patrons showed up to see the whole movie, they're only getting 45 minutes of a 2-hour movie and if they don't like it -- too bad, so sad, that's what Netflix is for. How is that not essentially the same thing? Why do you need this Clyde Lewis guy cutting into Noury's 1st hour? That's what I simply don't understand. If Clyde's paying some of those bills, too, why not schedule him during one of those Purity Products times on the weekend? I Heart App is one of the worst data-killing apps that has locked up every cell phone I have ever had (going back to Blackberry and Nokia before that) -- the better option would be to pay Premiere (not I Heart Bankruptcy) to get the program directly. Like I said - those "complainers" pay your sponsors, and once they flee 550, they won't be back and you'll need to start looking at real estate for career options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom