• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Today's 96.5 rebrand?

Will be competing again, against Q102!

Nah. Not a direct competition with Q102. They gave up on that when they dumped Amp. This seems more like a format shift than a flip. Hotter sound/presentation, increase spins on currents. It's more Hot AC than Mainstream AC now. Subtle, and I don't know if it will make much of a difference.

Its funny how the HD2 plays Alternative from the top of every hour until 15 minutes past and uses the term ALT 965. Then slides in to Acoustic sunrise until the top of the hour and uses the term Todays Hits 965 HD1. Seems like they are just keeping the HD2 on life support, they could sound awesome if they went full blown Alternative without the chicken alternative and the constant chatter ala 1045.

Its funny how the HD2 plays Alternative from the top of every hour until 15 minutes past and uses the term ALT 965. Then slides in to Acoustic sunrise until the top of the hour and uses the term Todays Hits 965 HD1. Seems like they are just keeping the HD2 on life support, they could sound awesome if they went full blown Alternative without the chicken alternative and the constant chatter ala 1045.

That's straight up just to keep iHeart from rebranding Radio 104.5 to "Alt 104.5." This way, Entercom can say "Hey. We were using the name "ALT" on the airwaves in Philly before iHeart!"

But for a fun wrinkle, I've heard iHeart throw in "Alt 104.5 HD2" liners on WRFF-HD2. So, who knows at this point.

I heard it quite often on 1045 HD2 also ALT 1045 HD2 but then followed it up with a Metallica, GnR and Disturbed tracks, agreed its not in-house. If my memory serves me correct, I recall in the last years of Y100, they were throwing in Metallica and Ozzy which I never quite understood...

I heard it quite often on 1045 HD2 also ALT 1045 HD2 but then followed it up with a Metallica, GnR and Disturbed tracks, agreed its not in-house. If my memory serves me correct, I recall in the last years of Y100, they were throwing in Metallica and Ozzy which I never quite understood...

Y100 never played Ozzy. I think they went VERY minimal on Metallica, but Metallica has charted on Alt.

But ANY station could have used the Alt Branding and played non-Alt music. It's just the branding they want. They could play polka and name it Alt just to keep competitors from using it.

Nah. Not a direct competition with Q102. They gave up on that when they dumped Amp. This seems more like a format shift than a flip. Hotter sound/presentation, increase spins on currents. It's more Hot AC than Mainstream AC now. Subtle, and I don't know if it will make much of a difference.

It's not that subtle. It is a rhythmic hot AC playing tons of songs regular hot ACs would never touch (FOUR Drake songs for example). It's currents are CHR. It's recurrents are CHR (DJ Khalid - Wild Thoughts and Drake - One Dance are in the mix, and played every six or so hours). It's golds are stylistically CHR driven, but are played more often than on true CHRs. Only 1 90s song has been played so far. It's top currents are played 85x weekly -- Lights Down Low, Finesse, Perfect and Havana. WSTW is still the only hot AC receivable in Philly.

It's not that subtle. It is a rhythmic hot AC playing tons of songs regular hot ACs would never touch (FOUR Drake songs for example). It's currents are CHR. It's recurrents are CHR (DJ Khalid - Wild Thoughts and Drake - One Dance are in the mix, and played every six or so hours). It's golds are stylistically CHR driven, but are played more often than on true CHRs. Only 1 90s song has been played so far. It's top currents are played 85x weekly -- Lights Down Low, Finesse, Perfect and Havana. WSTW is still the only hot AC receivable in Philly.

Not a rhythmic hot AC. Adult top 40, yes. (And by the way, I've heard Wild Thoughts and One Dance on hot ACs when they were currents. That was the extreme limits on how hard they got rhythmically [sic].)

Not a rhythmic hot AC. Adult top 40, yes. (And by the way, I've heard Wild Thoughts and One Dance on hot ACs when they were currents. That was the extreme limits on how hard they got rhythmically [sic].)

Also, dropping the 80s and 90s from the playlist syncs up with sister-WOGL diving heavy into the 80s for their playlist (and eventually the 90s). This frees up any overlap between their playlists.

Do they care about their stream at all? It sounds awful.

I'm giving them a listen but I'm not feeling exactly compelled. If I were in a car, I'd probably try 101.1 and if I didn't like that, I'd probably try 98.1 and if I didn't like that, I'd probably try 102.1 and if I didn't like that, I'd probably try 94.5 and if I didn't like that, I'd probably try 96.5 and if I didn't like that, it wouldn't matter because I'd probably be wherever I was going. :rolleyes:

Their mid-day jock...is she live? She seems to talk over the vocals quite a bit. Wondering if it's just a poor attempt at VT.

In and of itself, overlap isn’t problematic, when you’re attracting a more or less continuous range of audiences. It can be complimentary. Beasley isn’t exactly free from overlap.

If 96.5 had come on like gangbusters and taken more of a bite, sharing some 80s songs would be the least of anyone’s worries.

That was a good move done by Entercom to fill in the hole left by iHeartMedia after they flipped 106.1 to Real last summer. I didn't think that Entercom really had a need to launch an FM simulcast of their all-news station KYW on 96.5.

What about 101.1 More FM?

What about 101.1 More FM?

It's a rhythmic leaning mainstream AC, playing some more rhythmic stuff like "Motownphilly", "Can't Feel My Face", "Titanium", "Tearin' Up My Heart" and "Stressed Out" that may sound out of place on a more conventional mainstream AC. Not as rhythmic as 96.5, which plays at least one song hourly that is too rhythmic to air on a hot AC, although sometimes the song in question may have received limited airplay as a current, such as One Dance.

It's a rhythmic leaning mainstream AC, playing some more rhythmic stuff like "Motownphilly", "Can't Feel My Face", "Titanium", "Tearin' Up My Heart" and "Stressed Out" that may sound out of place on a more conventional mainstream AC.

I think Mainstream AC is moving toward playing songs like those mentioned here. The ones that aren't may just be trying to fill a niche in their particular market or maybe trying to remain on the air in a market where there's another AC that is playing those songs. AC is growing up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom