• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IHeart files for Chapter 11

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
Iheart Media misses Bond Payment

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busine...nd-payment-takes-another-step-to-12542717.php

Failure to bay the $106 Million bond was a factor here

San Antonio-based iHeartMedia Inc. took another step toward bankruptcy by failing to make a $106 million bond payment due today, the company announced.

The company said it was a conscious decision “as active discussions continue among its lenders, noteholders, and financial sponsors regarding a comprehensive debt restructuring.”

Old Radio Guy Facebook groups are once again buzzing with the idea that this news means iHeart will be liquidating all of its stations, that will in turn be bought by Mom and Pop broadcasters who will bning 24/7 live, local programming and all the out of work jocks will be playing oldies on them. Radio will revert to 1972, pretend digital never happened and all will be Utopia.

Old Radio Guy Facebook groups are once again buzzing with the idea that this news means iHeart will be liquidating all of its stations, that will in turn be bought by Mom and Pop broadcasters who will bning 24/7 live, local programming and all the out of work jocks will be playing oldies on them. Radio will revert to 1972, pretend digital never happened and all will be Utopia.

Never hurts to try

And not a single one of them is offering to spend any of their personal money on buying stations. It's always wonderful when it's "someone else."

I keep hearing there's money waiting for the big fire sale, but I have my doubts

If they wanted a fire sale, they could have bought KQV. There are still lots of stations in the Aloha Trust. These folks are all talk with no money.

iHeart has been heading for a serious financial restructuring for some time. There will be no wholesale liquidation of radio stations. The debt holders will simply forfeit much of their debt for the majority of equity in the company.

I seriously doubt enough of the junior noteholders will sign on to avoid a bankruptcy filing, but I suppose it could happen.

I still see the company remaining largely intact because all put the choicest assets would be difficult to unload.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/iheartmedia-files-bankruptcy-1094674

Update Iheart has filed for Chapter 11

The largest U.S. radio company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Thursday as it struggles to deal with its $20 billion debt pile.
Saddled with $20 billion of debt, iHeartMedia Inc, the largest internet radio broadcaster in the U.S., filed for bankruptcy late on Wednesday.

In a statement, iHeart said it had *reached an agreement with the holders of more than $10 billion of the company's outstanding debt for a balance sheet restructuring, which will reduce its debt by more than $10 billion.

“The agreement we announced today is a significant accomplishment, as it allows us to definitively address the more than $20 billion in debt that has burdened our capital structure,” said CEO Bob Pittman.

The company's huge debt pile is a legacy of its 2008 leveraged buyout. In February, iHeart missed interest payments on its debt as well as two sets of bond payments making bankruptcy all but inevitable. A last minute deal with Liberty Media, the owner of SiriusXM Radio, that would have seen the company controlled by media mogul John Malone inject $1.16 billion into the group also fell through.

Good information. I think they emerge with far les than $10B in debt, and the current equity holders will be mostly wiped out. If Pittman does get retained, a possibility for the short term, unlikely for the long term, he will have to accept far less compensation and see his equity position severely cut. It would still be a much higher salary than he'd be likely to get elsewhere. This will be an interesting bankruptcy case to follow.

If Pittman does get retained, a possibility for the short term, unlikely for the long term, he will have to accept far less compensation and see his equity position severely cut.

Which is why they made him eligible for bonuses after the bankruptcy.

Not unexpected.

"We wanted to personally share some news about a positive development in iHeartMedia’s efforts to achieve a capital structure that finally matches our company’s impressive operating business.

We are pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement in principle with the majority of our creditors and our financial sponsors that reflects widespread support across the capital structure for a comprehensive plan to restructure iHeartMedia’s debt – reducing it by more than $10 billion. iHeartMedia will use a court-supervised process (Chapter 11) to implement this agreed upon restructuring plan.

Importantly, we’ll be operating as usual and we don’t expect this process to have any impact on our relationship with you. We will continue to innovate and develop new tools and products for you.

Let me give you some perspective. Seven years ago, when we began our transformation, the company faced two major challenges. First, we needed to transform iHeartMedia, then called Clear Channel, from a traditional broadcast radio company into a true 21st century multi-platform, data-driven, digitally-focused media and entertainment company. We’ve successfully made that transformation and continue to improve.

Today, iHeartMedia is America’s #1 audio platform. Our broadcast properties alone reach a quarter billion consumers monthly, more than even Facebook and Google in the U.S., and we’re a leader in digital listening through our iHeartRadio digital platform, which is led by the iHeartRadio app which has 1.7 billion downloads and upgrades, over 110 million registered users and is available on more than 200 platforms, including a leadership position on the Alexa platform. We are proud to say that we have now generated 18 consecutive quarters of year-over-year revenue growth, something very few media companies can claim and probably the best indicator of how successful our transformation has been.

Second, the company needed to address its capital structure, which has been burdened with more than $20 billion of debt since the 2008 leveraged buyout (LBO). Meeting the second challenge has taken longer than we had originally anticipated, but it is now finally being addressed in a definitive way. The comprehensive plan we just announced will resolve an issue that has been hanging over the company for some time.

Let me explain a bit about our court-supervised process. As you may know, there are different flavors of bankruptcy filings. In some cases – not ours – companies are in trouble because their businesses are failing, they are not generating enough cash and, as a result, they’re unable to fund their ongoing operations. In those cases, stakeholders are looking to salvage what they can, and those companies frequently stop operating and liquidate.

That’s not the case for us. iHeartMedia generates a substantial amount of cash. We are restructuring the balance sheet of an impressive business – not fixing a failing business.

Again, we don’t expect this process to have any impact on our relationship with you or on your points of contact at the company, but we wanted to make sure you heard about it from us first – and if you have any questions you can reach out directly to us. We appreciate the opportunity to share our story with you, and – as always – we are committed to continuing to meet and exceed your expectations and serve you across all of our industry-leading platforms.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

iHeartMedia"

for a little deeper look, click here
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-15/bain-lee-said-to-break-even-on-inv

The link at the bottom of the previous post was cut off, but here is the full link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-break-even-on-investment-in-bankrupt-iheart

It's an interesting article, because on the surface one assumes that Bain & Lee lose everything. But that's not how debt works. When Citadel went bankrupt, I couldn't understand how Forstmann Little, the investment company the had the majority of the debt, sat by and watched its investment go bankrupt. They did it, because they'd already made enough money over the course of the loan to cover the debt. These companies really don't expect to be paid in full. That's why they frontload the payments. So now Bain & Lee will have equity in the real cash cow, which is Clear Channel Outdoor. I expect if the deal with Liberty Media comes about, Outdoor will be spun off and managed separately. That's not a bad thing for them. Certainly a better outcome than what they're experiencing with Toys R Us.

I'm stunned. With all the synergies, and all the management genius, how could this happen? Does this mean it might not be possible to cut your way to prosperity? Was selling all those towers a bad thing? Weren't they able to get big enough to achieve "economies of scale." Wasn't hubbing successful? Didn't programmatic create a huge revenue boost while reducing the cost of sales?

What will happen to the iHeartRadio awards? Will Bob Pittman still represent the radio industry at Cannes? I'm so confused.

Didn't programmatic create a huge revenue boost while reducing the cost of sales?

Programatic generally results in lower spot rates. Its advantages are mostly in making it easier for agencies to buy in the crowded radio environment, thus, potentially, keeping more money in radio. But generally, programmatic results in lower spot rates.

What will happen to the iHeartRadio awards? Will Bob Pittman still represent the radio industry at Cannes? I'm so confused.

Pittman runs a profitable radio and new media company. He did not acquire the debt that was the product of a bunch of bankers paying Lowry and Red too much money. Remember, Bain and Lee wanted to back out of the deal but they were forced in a legal proceeding to follow through on it.

The iHeart Awards make loads of money. They are a profit center.

i think what will happen is, IHeartMedia now as we know it will die, but right now, they will be restructure the company, which i can see IHM leave some medium and small markets entirely and sell them to someone else and pretty much sell all the most struggling stations in all major markets that have struggled for years to the point to where they flip formats only for it to flip again in a year and hand in the FCC licenses for the stations with poor reception to the FCC and shut them down cause these stations can't cover an area and pretty much are bringing down profits and all that stuff (KFXR 1190 AM in Dallas, owned by IHM is the best example of a station that needs to be shut down as it has poor reception, and is pretty much the worst station of the IHM DFW cluster).

also i wouldn't be surprise if the re-brand back to Clear Channel and spin IHeartRadio into a independently owned company or sell it to a company like AT&T, Verizon or a major company in the industry of the internet media.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom