WMEX 1510 Boston
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WMEX 1510 Boston

WMEX 1510 Boston

When WMEX was a Top 40 station ,where was their transmitter site ,what was power day/night and how many towers did there use day/night ?

Al

http://bostonradio.org/stations/12789

bostonradio.org's entry on the station, which was WWZN at the time, includes:
    "WWZN's earliest ancestor is WMEX 1500, which went on the air in 1934 with 500 W day, 100 W night from a site off West Squantum Road in Quincy, near the then-WNAC/WAAB (now WBIX) site in the Neponset River valley. ..In the 1960s, WMEX received a power upgrade to 50 kW daytime, still with 5 kW at night. Station engineers had to constantly adjust the phasing network as tides in the Neponset River would play havoc with the pattern...In 1981, new ownership decided to increase night power to 50 kW, by building a new transmitter plant in Waltham, west of Boston. Although the new signal had more power, it is very directional, and the owners had to spend millions to eliminate RFI in the office park over whose parking lot the new towers had been erected. In short, they would have done better staying with the 5-kW at the old site. "

Don't know how many towers.

Monday morning about 3:45 A.M. WATD FM was playing some WMEX clips of Arnie Woo Woo.
    Didn't listen that long so don't know if the whole show was like that or not.

Youtube has an upload of the Crusin' 1961 record Ginsberg did, maybe taken from that
    (Re-creation of show)
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdS8nxbxCJk

I think this was 63/64 and he was talking about wearing a green wig for the St.Patrick's Day parade.

Quote Originally Posted by alok View Post
    When WMEX was a Top 40 station ,where was their transmitter site ,what was power day/night and how many towers did there use day/night ?

Al
    When WMEX was a Top 40 station from the late '50s to the mid '70s, the transmitter was in North Quincy near the Neponset River Valley. If I remember correctly, it had three towers. It was 5,000 watts day and night until 1969, I don't know whether the directional pattern differed from day to night, or how many towers were used day or night. It always seemed weak west of Boston (I grew up in Newton).

In 1969 it was granted 50,000 watts in the daytime only, still 5,000 at night. Again, I don't know whether the directional pattern changed day to night, or only the wattage. Even with 50,000 watts in the daytime it wasn't very strong west of Boston, only somewhat improved from the previous 5,000 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by freqlost View Post
    Monday morning about 3:45 A.M. WATD FM was playing some WMEX clips of Arnie Woo Woo.
    Didn't listen that long so don't know if the whole show was like that or not.
    I believe WATD's overnight DJ's fully program their own (mostly oldies) shows, so this may have been just the DJ's idea, not a station-wide directive.

Am near Portland right now but admittedly some Boston AMs come in up here.Getting an unmodulated carrier on 1510..is Perry's station testing?

Any news as to when this year they will go back on the air again?

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Am near Portland right now but admittedly some Boston AMs come in up here.Getting an unmodulated carrier on 1510..is Perry's station testing?
    Norm Rosen

Quote Originally Posted by inorm99 View Post
    Any news as to when this year they will go back on the air again?
    About the same time as the Old Troll of Rock and Roll gets 1460 WATD AM Brockton on the air?

Ed has 2 AM's that are in STA (dark) with the clock running out.... and quickly, and one of those AM's has a translator grant that could be in trouble if the AM doesn't get on the air.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast