Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: WMEX 1510 Boston

Related...Joe McMillan on facebook:
    "THE Brockton FM 101.1 and 1460 AM is up and running,,,Simulcasting WATD The Call letters will change to WBMS Brockton Metro South New Oldies format premiers in May .. I will do 9am-2pm weekdays Ed says the FM signal is Great Covers all of Brockton...The Bridgewaters AND More ."

Am on North Shore but will check to see if I can get the 1460 at least. WBMS was longtime call of 1090...

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Related...Joe McMillan on facebook:
    "THE Brockton FM 101.1 and 1460 AM is up and running,,,Simulcasting WATD The Call letters will change to WBMS Brockton Metro South New Oldies format premiers in May .. I will do 9am-2pm weekdays Ed says the FM signal is Great Covers all of Brockton...The Bridgewaters AND More ."

Am on North Shore but will check to see if I can get the 1460 at least. WBMS was longtime call of 1090...
    No mention of 1510 since January, though?

No, other than "May" date. PQ George on facebook says the 101.1 translator is only in mono for now

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    ... PQ George on facebook says the 101.1 translator is only in mono for now
    I recall that WJIB's 101.3 translator started out with a mono audio feed from Maine until Bob got the Comcast feed switched to stereo (though it had also been in mono audio when fed from Maine on 740 AM stereo for longer), and the WUBG "Big 105.3" translator started out with only one stereo channel of oldies playing through both channels, so maybe some FM translators start their lives in mono for one reason or another.
    Last edited by Eli Polonsky; 02-22-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Polonsky View Post
    I recall that WJIB's 101.3 translator started out with a mono audio feed from Maine until Bob got the Comcast feed switched to stereo (though it had also been in mono audio when fed from Maine on 740 AM stereo for longer), and the WUBG "Big 105.3" translator started out with only one stereo channel of oldies playing through both channels, so maybe some FM translators start their lives in mono for one reason or another.
    It depends on the air chain. Originating from different places might lead to different ways of getting the signal from studio to transmitter. I know a couple AMs that had to rewire the entire air chain from studio to transmitter when the translator went on since everything was wired mono.

I did try 1460 again (now maybe officially WBMS?) in N Reading and it came in halfway decently, with a // (simulcast) of WATD 95.9--Van Morrison "And It Stoned Me".

Related, this from Joe McMillan on facebook (Remembering WMEX):
    "Just got the word from Ed Perry WBMS the Brockton Oldies station at 101.1 FM and 1460 AM will start with the Oldies format on JUNE 28th Live from the Brockton Fair..I will be there broadcasting LIVE....All week...Hope to see you.. Looking forward to doing Oldies again like I did at OLDIES 103 and WROR"

Well knowing how Ed Perry likes to be reporting from the scene of the crime, being live at the Brockton Fair should keep them real busy.

Maybe a repeat of the rock throwing riot of 2017?

A post on Remembering WMEX facebook group says both WMEX 1510 and WBMS 1460 plan to go back on in July.

WMEX technically went dark on the last day of June 2 years ago. The Renegade Radio guys who owned it lost the lease on the tower. By Dec of 2017, Ed Perry announced he was buying the station. It came back briefly a couple times to keep the license alive, but yes 1510 has pretty much been dark for almost 2 years other than briefly simulcasting WATD-FM.

This kind of thing happens. KQV 1410 in Pittsburgh also went dark but a new owner got it and also did some "keep the license alive" moves. KQV was not on when I visited Pittsburgh last week--at least at the time I checked. These things can take awhile. (Wikipedia): "KQV briefly signed back on May 12 (2019?), then signed back off June 4, resetting the one-year counter on its license expiration. The station currently holds a remain-silent special temporary authority while it awaits the necessary equipment to diplex with WEDO" (the KQV remain silent authority expires in Sept. I had tried to get KQV's signal when in Pittsburgh around June 1 but got nothing, but they may have been off-and-on....or any new signal may have been weaker?)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213