• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX 1510 Boston

What portion of the market? Milton? Not much there to cover.

I'm sure that's the advertising/marketing plan, but as you know, the question is how much advertising can they sell and at what price. A lot of translators have gone on the air recently, I don't hear much of any advertising on them.

The concept needs to be proven, as you suggest. But there are some long-time niche markets and stations... the most famous being WLNG waaay out on Long Island. Suburban stations can work, but whether a translator is adequate to achieve the goal is another thing. And then there is that pesky issue of what you can do with programming in the shadow of big metro stations.

I hope it works... and that they instill some localism in the station, in the manner that Buddy Shula is doing in Buffalo with WECK, a little AM with two translators and an senior-targeted format.

AM translators work in some places. Here in ABQ, 99 or 250 Watts from a 5000' elevation goes a looonnngggg way.

The concept needs to be proven, as you suggest. But there are some long-time niche markets and stations... the most famous being WLNG waaay out on Long Island. Suburban stations can work, but whether a translator is adequate to achieve the goal is another thing. And then there is that pesky issue of what you can do with programming in the shadow of big metro stations.

I hope it works... and that they instill some localism in the station, in the manner that Buddy Shula is doing in Buffalo with WECK, a little AM with two translators and an senior-targeted format.

This FM translator should put a good signal into many cities and towns in the suburban South Shore areas of greater Boston, though it will be marginal at best in Boston proper. (The 10 kW daytime AM signal planned for the fall should cover much of greater Boston and Boston proper fairly well for those who will still listen to AM radio).

Assuming that Ed is planning to program WMEX as he has always programmed his flagship station, Class A FM WATD Marshfield, MA, he won't need to "instill" localism in this station. Full-service "localism" in both programming origination and content (and sponsorship) is what Ed has always done, pretty much exclusively.

As for programming in the shadow of major Boston stations, the (said-to-be) planned "oldies" format for WMEX is not currently being done live and local by any Boston station. The only other full-time "oldies" format in the area is 1570 AM WUBG, Methuen, MA and it's translator on 105.3 FM, a national satellite delivered oldies feed on signals that cover well only north of Boston, the opposite direction from Boston of the coverage area of WMEX from the South Shore.

All the value left with that highly valuable morning drive team

LOL! AND....they still don't have another gig...I checked in the other day just to see if they were still doing the internet thing and boom there they were live on the internet. It's coming up on a year since the station shutdown and a year since these guys mentioned they have something in the works...I wonder if they're related to koooooona who three years ago announced he'd be going national bay-beeeee because "the ratings are through the roof".....oh my...he's still local, lol.

"Sandy" and Joe are no longer on the RKO schedule, they appeared there for about 3 weeks, the show was to air Sunday afternoon for an hour, but, it never happened, I wonder what that was all about.

Sep 18 was supposed to be the launch date for the oldies shows etc. but who knows when they'll go on. Joe McMillan keeps passing info along on Facebook but the other day he said the 10,000 watt transmitter and the launch of at least SOME original shows on 1510 (a WATD simulcast otherwise) is being delayed by an electrician's strike (National Grid?). DISCLAIMER: Your mileage may vary as to the accuracy of his info. :) (He also was saying "101.1 FM" but I pointed out to him that's a construction permit. It could be some time before that actually turns on. Remember how we had to wait 9 months to a year for WJIB's simulcast?) That being said, don't know if these oldies shows etc will be on anytime soon. I hit the button for 1510 and heard "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure and the morning host, again simulcasting WATD...ha, the Cure on AM (// an FM)

I trust Joe McMillian's info as far as I can throw him, which is about 5 feet. I've seen the stuff he posts on facebook and i think it's a small part truth and a large part a combination of what he hopes to happen and has inferred from what ed told him

He'll fit in at WMEX though, because joe is stuck in the 60s or 70s with that big radio voice talking over the listener instead of friendly and talking to them.

I trust Joe McMillian's info as far as I can throw him, which is about 5 feet. I've seen the stuff he posts on facebook and i think it's a small part truth and a large part a combination of what he hopes to happen and has inferred from what ed told him

He'll fit in at WMEX though, because joe is stuck in the 60s or 70s with that big radio voice talking over the listener instead of friendly and talking to them.

Big radio voice yes.... I'll leave it at that...

Electrician's Strike? HUH NatGrid has their GAS department locked out, and I don't even know if they are the GAS provider for that area.... and the only reason you would need them is a backup generator on Natural Gas.... and since there are already stations on that stick you would think the utilities would already be there.... but I doubt that is the reason...

I'm starting to doubt the sanity of the Old Troll of Rock and Roll... The Brockton AM is a money pit, 1510 is a money pit, a lot of effort for a couple of translators that are going to program what exactly?

Ed Perry cries poor mouth and claims there is no money to pay the overnight people claiming it is an "internship" (illegal) but has money to pour into two stations have zero chance of profitability IMHO.

***claiming it is an "internship" (illegal)***

I don’t believe there is any regulation that says all work at a radio station be paid positions.

Some people can volunteer for the extra experience and education They can choose to stop when they want.

It’s all voluntary

***claiming it is an "internship" (illegal)***

I don’t believe there is any regulation that says all work at a radio station be paid positions.

Some people can volunteer for the extra experience and education They can choose to stop when they want.

It’s all voluntary

Most states have considerable depth in legislation and work rules. An internship has to be sanctioned by an educational institution in most cases, and needs to meet certain criteria as to exposing the student to different aspects of the business. In a number of jurisdictions, interns have been awarded pay for work "of value" performed during an internship.

It's generally not allowed to let someone "work for free" as that is considered abusive and a form of slavery.

Most states have considerable depth in legislation and work rules. An internship has to be sanctioned by an educational institution in most cases, and needs to meet certain criteria as to exposing the student to different aspects of the business. In a number of jurisdictions, interns have been awarded pay for work "of value" performed during an internship.

It's generally not allowed to let someone "work for free" as that is considered abusive and a form of slavery.

Yes, that's labor law, it applies to for-profit businesses (not only radio stations). An IRS registered full non-profit, such as many student-run college radio stations and smaller non-comm community stations, and also LPFM stations, can have unlimited volunteers.

The HD radio subchannel "WBCN Free Form Rock" was taken off the air by CBS (before the parent station WZLX was sold and acquired by iHeart, who took all their formerly CBS owned Boston area original content HD subchannels off the air) because, at first, it had live DJ's working for free, this was found to be a potential labor law violation for a for-profit company (CBS), so they began paying them minimum wage (the only HD subchannel I knew of with paid live airstaff, practically all others were fully automated), but there was no way that an HD subchannel could raise enough revenue to even cover part-timers at minimum wage, so it was unfortunately shut down.

Last edited:
Yes, that's labor law, it applies to for-profit businesses (not only radio stations). An IRS registered full non-profit, such as many student-run college radio stations and also LPFM stations, can have unlimited volunteers.

It's interesting how such things change.

I was 13 when I started "working" at WJMO / WCUY in Cleveland. I was the official go-fer, and would do janitorial work, put away records for the FM, get coffee and snacks, even feed the parking meter if one of the jocks couldn't park in the regular lot.

I was not paid during about the first year. By then I had learned the board, how log the transmitters, and lots of other little stuff. When they needed a weekend board op for the FM, I finally got paid at the minimum.

But that first year was more valuable than any college course I ever took in radio.

Didn't CBS Radio get sued by interns who claimed they were working for free and receiving no benefit from their internship.

I can't get into the specifics of the people working for free, but I assure you that it happened, and there was no educational institution involved.

If little teenage Johnny wants to help Mr. Hooper stock his shelves......I'm not sure that's illegal. Slavery is forced work (and a lot of other things.).

Now, liability might be a reason now to have little Johnny help stock shelves.....that's another thing.

I was an unpaid intern at a station in Connecticut. I liked the learning experience. I got to run the board during talk shows, play-by-play from Westwood One, and I even helped out with office work.

Then later I was an unpaid DJ at a now defunct night club. I was called the DJ Trainee. I may not have gotten paid cash, but I got other benefits. - Free Admission to The Club, free food and non-alcoholic drinks, and invites to NASCAR and FOOTBALL parties at the homes of The Owners.

Joe McMillan writes in Facebook (in a reply to the Remembering WMEX 1510 Boston group): "Just found out today from Ed Perry The WMEX Studios are under constuction in the sales Area to The right as you walk in the building BUT still NO power to the new 10 thousand Watt transmitter...needs a transformer and electrical work..He now thinks The Brockton FM and AM will be on the air BEFORE WMEX...And he now plans that to be up Before Thanksgiving"(sic)

Joe McMillan on Facebook "Remembering WMEX" (what he said...and he's talking original programming etc) for what it's worth..
>>NEW UPDATE on the Stations BROCKTON by DEC 1ST and WMEX NOT TILL April 15 of next year...The Translater site not found yet

[Don't know if that refers to 1510's or 1460's]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom