WMEX 1510 Boston - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WMEX 1510 Boston

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    What portion of the market? Milton? Not much there to cover.

I'm sure that's the advertising/marketing plan, but as you know, the question is how much advertising can they sell and at what price. A lot of translators have gone on the air recently, I don't hear much of any advertising on them.
    The concept needs to be proven, as you suggest. But there are some long-time niche markets and stations... the most famous being WLNG waaay out on Long Island. Suburban stations can work, but whether a translator is adequate to achieve the goal is another thing. And then there is that pesky issue of what you can do with programming in the shadow of big metro stations.

I hope it works... and that they instill some localism in the station, in the manner that Buddy Shula is doing in Buffalo with WECK, a little AM with two translators and an senior-targeted format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

AM translators work in some places. Here in ABQ, 99 or 250 Watts from a 5000' elevation goes a looonnngggg way.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The concept needs to be proven, as you suggest. But there are some long-time niche markets and stations... the most famous being WLNG waaay out on Long Island. Suburban stations can work, but whether a translator is adequate to achieve the goal is another thing. And then there is that pesky issue of what you can do with programming in the shadow of big metro stations.

I hope it works... and that they instill some localism in the station, in the manner that Buddy Shula is doing in Buffalo with WECK, a little AM with two translators and an senior-targeted format.
    This FM translator should put a good signal into many cities and towns in the suburban South Shore areas of greater Boston, though it will be marginal at best in Boston proper. (The 10 kW daytime AM signal planned for the fall should cover much of greater Boston and Boston proper fairly well for those who will still listen to AM radio).

Assuming that Ed is planning to program WMEX as he has always programmed his flagship station, Class A FM WATD Marshfield, MA, he won't need to "instill" localism in this station. Full-service "localism" in both programming origination and content (and sponsorship) is what Ed has always done, pretty much exclusively.

As for programming in the shadow of major Boston stations, the (said-to-be) planned "oldies" format for WMEX is not currently being done live and local by any Boston station. The only other full-time "oldies" format in the area is 1570 AM WUBG, Methuen, MA and it's translator on 105.3 FM, a national satellite delivered oldies feed on signals that cover well only north of Boston, the opposite direction from Boston of the coverage area of WMEX from the South Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    It is of no value today by itself.
    All the value left with that highly valuable morning drive team
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    All the value left with that highly valuable morning drive team
    LOL! AND....they still don't have another gig...I checked in the other day just to see if they were still doing the internet thing and boom there they were live on the internet. It's coming up on a year since the station shutdown and a year since these guys mentioned they have something in the works...I wonder if they're related to koooooona who three years ago announced he'd be going national bay-beeeee because "the ratings are through the roof".....oh my...he's still local, lol.

"Sandy" and Joe are no longer on the RKO schedule, they appeared there for about 3 weeks, the show was to air Sunday afternoon for an hour, but, it never happened, I wonder what that was all about.

1510wmex dot com brings up the Renegade guys

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567