• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Sound for 97.7 WKAF

I've noticed that 97.7 has tweaked their playlist and is leaning much younger. They also have new imaging which sounds really good! Despite their weak signal I wouldn't be surprised if they pose a threat to the big boys like WBQT, and WJMN. I can't seem to stop listening to them and I'm usually one to flip around the dial!

Kudos to WKAF for the amazing presentation!

Jamn ironically is a sister station.

iHeart possible bankruptcy pushed off for one more day.I noticed Tai Irwin on FB reposting my link about the bankruptcy possibility news and thought, three of the stations where he's worked are now all iHeart--WRKO 680, WZLX 100.7, and WBWL 101.7 (he had been there as WFNX)

The ratings are out and WKAF beat WJMN! I can't stress it enough, it amazes me how a station with such little power can go head to head with the big boys! Years ago when Radio One owned 97.7 they couldn't even come close to Jam'n 94.5 in the ratings and blamed signal restrictions as their reason why. Well I think the proof is in the pudding and On-Air presentation is everything!

As for the iHeart bankruptcy, that hasn't seemed to affect operations for any of their stations.

23 and No longer a teenager

The ratings are out and WKAF beat WJMN! I can't stress it enough, it amazes me how a station with such little power can go head to head with the big boys! Years ago when Radio One owned 97.7 they couldn't even come close to Jam'n 94.5 in the ratings and blamed signal restrictions as their reason why. Well I think the proof is in the pudding and On-Air presentation is everything!

As for the iHeart bankruptcy, that hasn't seemed to affect operations for any of their stations.

Radio One opened up here 20 years ago and although for most RD posters their social circles and lifestyles may not have changed all that much demographically. Metro Boston and MetroSouth area have pretty dramatically. Radio One simply opened when the Metro was 5.5% Black and much, much, more clustered in the DRM.

Nearly 20 years later and the metro is 8% black, 600,000 people larger and the black population is much more spread out along Route 24 and the Neponset area. There is a reason WBZR-FM opened in Dedham... the Boston-Brockton Corridor is notable for having a larger black population than any other region of Massachusetts.

Also, for whatever reason (I don't know much about contemporary urban radio, its music styles, and demographics), WJMN's numbers have declined quite a bit over the past couple of decades from its heyday in the '90s and early 2000's when it was usually in the top five. Back then it was usually "Kiss-108" on top with the CHR pop, and sister station "Jammin'" a close second with CHR rhythmic and hip-hop.

WJMN may still bill well and provide iHeart a good "package" with Kiss for the young CHR audience, but it hasn't even been in the top ten for at least a few years. WKAF (now also a sister station to Kiss and Jammin'), even with its currently uptrending ratings, couldn't have touched the numbers WJMN had some years ago.

I don't know why WJMN's numbers have dropped in recent years, but noticing that WBQT (somewhat more adult oriented) has been beating them lately, and upcoming little WKAF (much more adult oriented) also just bested them, I'm going to guess that the younger audience is now getting much of their music from non-broadcast digital sources rather than radio.

According to who?

United States Census, Public Use Municipal Area (PUMA) data estimates for 2015. Go to AmericanFactFinder.com.
Also a look at the population of people in a Target, movie theater, Walmart, Dedham mall, in the area would support this anecdotally.

Milton is 14% African American
Stoughton 15%
Avon 20%

These towns are all close to and share commuting patterns with people in Hyde Park Lower Mills and Southern Mattapan.

Dedham 7%
Canton 8%
Quincy 6%
Norwood %

Randolph 44%
Brockton 41%

I think they are hurt by inconsistent branding and simply being ou dated. I live in DC now and the music is just newer and freshener than Boston hip hop station and also the Station is more in the community (all over the DMV). It has a larger profile, WJMN plays old music so it offers virtually nothing to a young person. People get their music way to quickly now. Also they change their slogan every few months..hip hop and hits or hip hop and throwbacks or just hip hop-make up your mind. WBQT is more adult, more local, wider playlist and less rhythmic. WKAF is just better music overall than WJMN.

Yes WKAF simulcast WAAF until Jan of last year when they became The New 97.7, and went to iHeart in the swap with Entercom.

All Access 1-5-17:
>>
New Format

Rumors become reality at ENTERCOM's WKAF/BOSTON, which is breaking off from its 10-year simulcast of sister Rock WAAF to launch an Urban AC format as "THE NEW 97.7, BOSTON'S #1 FOR R&B."

The split and new format launch took place TODAY (1/5) at 11a (ET). Former CUMULUS Urban AC WRBO/MEMPHIS part-timer CHRIS MALONE has been tapped as PD

Would it make more sense if iHeart put WKAF on 94.5 and WJMN on 97.7, and maybe have WJMN skew more toward Mainstream Urban?

They are not competing very well with Hot 96.9, or even WKAF. WJMN seems to be left behind, for a long time may I say.

Would it make more sense if iHeart put WKAF on 94.5 and WJMN on 97.7, and maybe have WJMN skew more toward Mainstream Urban?

They are not competing very well with Hot 96.9, or even WKAF. WJMN seems to be left behind, for a long time may I say.

Remember, you're commenting on "beauty pageant" numbers. It could be that WJMN is doing better in reaching the demos that advertisers want than WKAF, despite the overall ratings. As has been mentioned, Urban AC listeners are overwhelmingly black, and the format also attracts significant numbers of over-55 listeners. Advertisers are probably willing to spend more on the younger, more racially/ethnically diverse, urban/suburban audience that a rhythmic CHR/urban hybrid like Jam'n can deliver.

Years ago when Radio One owned 97.7 they couldn't even come close to Jam'n 94.5 in the ratings and blamed signal restrictions as their reason why.

Don't forget, 97.7's signal was a lot poorer during most of Radio One's ownership. It wasn't until 2005 that 97.7 moved to Great Blue Hill, with 97.7 WILD-FM launched shortly afterward. By all indications, WILD-FM was on the right track... but a few books in, Radio One sold to an operator with (then) a singular purpose in mind that didn't involve independent programming on 97.7.

I was listening to 97.7 this weekend and the guy on air in the evening sounds very familiar. Their website said it was Jay Brown? I know I've heard him on the radio before elsewhere but not sure where?

Master Jay from Jamn 945 and Jammin 107.7. He left iHeart in 2009/2010.
Wow, I knew I recognized the voice! I'm surprised he dropped the name Master Jay. He used to do a show on 91.7 WMWM and also the old WNSH at Pickering Wharf in Salem if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if he's live or voicetracked? If WKAF had any sense they would put him on during the week!

Wow, I knew I recognized the voice! I'm surprised he dropped the name Master Jay. He used to do a show on 91.7 WMWM and also the old WNSH at Pickering Wharf in Salem if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if he's live or voicetracked? If WKAF had any sense they would put him on during the week!

Jay is on Live. So is T. Clarke ( ex WILD 1090 and Emerson College)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom