• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOL 1300 off the air? (KKOL)

From Northwest Broadcasters...

KKOL AM 1300 Seattle is off air for three to four months. An application has been made to the FCC for a transmitter relocation further north at 47°39'19" 122°31'06" with 50 kW day and 3.2 kW night. The Commission has accepted for filing an application for a Remain Silent Authority and Silent Notification. FCC Data

The FCC has granted a minor change to a licensed facility to Inspiration Media, Inc. for KKOL AM 1300 Seattle. Power will be 50 kw day/3.2 kw night from 2 towers in a directional array at new transmitter location 47° 39' 19.00" 122° 31' 6.00".

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

I actually liked listening to KKOL with their business talk. Living in southern Snohomish county, I was barley able to receive them due to all of the noise and their terrible xmitter site. Should have a good signal when they come back on from the KLFE, KNTS site on Bainbridge. On the flip side, listeners in Pierce county will have a harder time receiving them.

I actually liked listening to KKOL with their business talk. Living in southern Snohomish county, I was barley able to receive them due to all of the noise and their terrible xmitter site. Should have a good signal when they come back on from the KLFE, KNTS site on Bainbridge. On the flip side, listeners in Pierce county will have a harder time receiving them.

So they're TRIPLEXING all three stations?

Just curious; How many different AM station signals can you cram on one site?

1590 throughout it's history on Bainbridge always cut like a blowtorch in downtown Seattle. it's just everywhere else the signal falls apart. KNTS is the same way. Looks like KKOL will have to settle for that problem too.

Just curious; How many different AM station signals can you cram on one site?

I know of towers or systems with four stations, and I believe the new "centralized mast" system in Cuba has up to 6 of them on a tower.

The design considerations are simple. Each station has a network that feeds the tower, and it passes the station frequency and rejects all others. It is to be broad enough to not roll the sidebands too sharply, and narrow enough to reject totally energy from the other stations on the tower.

The closer the frequencies, the harder it is to have a decent flat passband centered on the carrier and sharp enough rolloff.

I only built one, but the stations were on 570 and 805 kHz, so there was plenty of space to make each of them fairly broad at the carrier channel.

If there was going to be a problem, it would probably have been the short spacing between 1590 and 1680. They appear to have made that work. Adding 1300 shouldn't be much of an issue, other than the short disruptions that will be caused by adding the circuitry.

KBRD 680 / KGTK 920 /KLDY 1280 have been triplexed in Lacey for years. That system has worked very well.

But 1590 also has an almost shortwave-like super narrow bandwith, which was very noticeable back when it was a rock station (KJET, Z-Rock-era KZOK-AM.) On an analog tuner outside of downtown Seattle, you have to tune slowly or you'll miss it. I'm not an RF engineer, as you know. But could that be why KLFE/KNTS work diplexed so closely together? (KNTS seems to be pretty narrow too.) Until now, I thought it was only possible to put two stations on one site. Guess we learn something new every day.

I guess from what David said, as land values locally go through the ceiling, roof and into outer space, we'll probably be seeing a LOT more multiplexed AMs. (That is if they don't take them off the air first.)

That Bainbridge site had the antenna tuning units rebuilt a few years back when they installed a new transmitter for 1590. Should not be such narrow bandwidth anymore.

Until now, I thought it was only possible to put two stations on one site. Guess we learn something new every day.

In Hawai'i, stations have been 3-up and even 4-up on towers since the 60's, IIRC.

Back then, the calculations were done manually with slide rules and math tables. This often resulted in easier to do High-Q tuning circuits, which were not very broadband. Today, patterns, bandwidth optimization, components, etc., can all be designed with computer assistance.

It's still a game of skill, which is what keeps the DA pros like Ron Rackley in business and prospering.

Last edited:
Anybody else doing some light DX'ing while this is off? Last Thursday (4/5) I heard KAPL 1300 Phoenix OR (near Medford) loud and clear while traveling along 410 between 167 and Sumner. This was between 7:30 and 8 in the morning. This morning (4/12) I heard KNPT 1310 Newport OR in the Ballard area, between 6:30 and 7 am.

Anybody else doing some light DX'ing while this is off? Last Thursday (4/5) I heard KAPL 1300 Phoenix OR (near Medford) loud and clear while traveling along 410 between 167 and Sumner. This was between 7:30 and 8 in the morning. This morning (4/12) I heard KNPT 1310 Newport OR in the Ballard area, between 6:30 and 7 am.

I usually got KAPL too whenever 1300 was off the air, often with two other stations beneath them.

1300 here has been KAPL (Medford), KCMY (Carson City) and KLER (Orofino ID) at night. I have a DX friend north of Victoria who has received XEP (Ciudad Juarez) semi-regularly since KKOL went off, and XEXW (Nogales) once last month. Alas, haven't heard both yet.

I haven't tried 1300 since KKOL has been off, in fact haven't even turned on the G8 in a couple months. The 1310 catches don't surprise me, as I've gotten what was the RD station on that frequency from SF before. When it was on AM, I would also get CHLW as well, but I think that's been on 97.7 only for several years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom