KOL 1300 off the air? (KKOL) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KOL 1300 off the air? (KKOL)

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    I saw on Wikipedia that workers at the port of Tacoma expressed concerns about the signal from KKOL causing problems with their equipment, which could possibly trigger an explosion. The solution was to place a null in the direction of the equipment in question, but that was also in the direction of Seattle. Whatever came of that disbute? Is that why the station is so noisy at my location, especially at night?
    Most of what I read was in the papers back then. According to the station's application list, they've been operating at half-power during the day and a bit above that at night because of nearby workers' concerns about RF burns and interference to some of their equipment. Don't know what led to the decision, but it appears that putting 50kW next to a refinery might have created its own set of problems.

When I checked with the FCC AM query for KKOL, it came back with no record, as if the license has been deleted.

I honestly wonder why Salem didn't diplex with either the KGNW (KJR) site or the KLFE/KNTS site (which they own) back before all of that fuss with the port of Tacoma site. I'm sure that there was a reason, probably due to engineering.

When I checked with the FCC AM query for KKOL, it came back with no record, as if the license has been deleted.

I honestly wonder why Salem didn't diplex with either the KGNW (KJR) site or the KLFE/KNTS site (which they own) back before all of that fuss with the port of Tacoma site. I'm sure that there was a reason, probably due to engineering.

Heard KLER 1300 from Orofino Idaho on Monday morning between 7 and 8, well enough to ID but not much better than that. They ran an ID after some sort of farm news segment. Playing country music as well, fighting it out with some other station underneath it. I was in a car on 167 south of Auburn.

This morning I heard Rush (Limbaugh, not the band) on 1290. Couldn't bear to stick around long enough to hear an ID. Also in South King County.

Val

The FCC still has a service contour map but zero query results for 1300 in the state of Washington. The map is a link from NW broadcasters. https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map-...0410AWK%26.map

And KKOL 1300 has been deleted from their website- search for Seattle stations and it doesn't come up. It's on an outdated map but that's it.
    Last edited by valvashon; 03-13-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added info

Your 1290 was probably KUMA Pendleton. They are a semi-local, 100 miles away from me. But don't rule out KGVO or KPAY.
    Lately KCMY/1300 Carson City NV has been on day power at night and heard all over the NW. KAPL in OR should also be easy. The frequency should be clear for the next 3 months or so as they move transmitter spots.
    780 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1530 KGBT Harlingen, TX, 12/8/2018

Quote Originally Posted by KXA View Post

Good point. Only thing that comes to mind would be tower configuration, unless 1300 is close enough to one of the Vashon signals that they might be worried about the massive cost of filtering to those blowtorches over there.

As it is, they'll take a huge haircut to their night power at the new location.

Here's an old article about their Tacoma site...

https://www.seattlepi.com/ae/tv/arti...at-1234623.php

Quote Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
    The FCC still has a service contour map but zero query results for 1300 in the state of Washington. The map is a link from NW broadcasters. https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map-...0410AWK%26.map

And KKOL 1300 has been deleted from their website- search for Seattle stations and it doesn't come up. It's on an outdated map but that's it.

The FCC database is screwy today. Only about a third of Seattle's stations show up and a full scan of Washington only returns 53 stations. Everything else is missing. However, if you have a saved link to a station's applications page, that still works. Whatever's wrong started over the weekend.

They did kick the tires out here on Vashon one night, taking measurements at an undisclosed am transmitter site on the North end of Vashon.

Why they are moving to Bainbridge is cost. The site they did measurements at was costly and they would be paying rent, plus dealing with the other station having to go off the air for some of the work or reduced power. Then dealing with the 6 other station on the island making sure there was no funky mix.

While they would be rent free at the site they own on Vashon they would be dealing with iHeart having to reduce power. go off the air at night. Plus they would have to re proof KGNW and KJR, two patterns each (day-night), plus proofing the new 1300 install. Filtering at either Vashon site may have been more tricky or chances of a un wanted mix showing up. So I think cost and dealing with another station factored in.

Bainbridge they have free rent only have to deal with themselves as far as reducing power or going off the air to install diplexer at towers, they only have to proof KLFE since its directional with two patterns, day and night. They only have two now three signals to deal with not 6 like Vashon. So overall Bainbridge is the cheaper sit to move to.

Originally they thought they would have a better signal from the Tacoma location, but then the refinery issue played in. If they knew what was going to happen who knows maybe ten years ago they would have opted for Bainbridge.

kkol.com website redirects to 1590 website

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast