WLUP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WLUP

WLUP

Since WLUP went off the air terrestrial wise. This pretty much still doesn’t leave a format gap for classic rock, but will it leave a Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue, Classic Hard Rock bands ect. Will WDRV pick these up? I’m worried about WKQX what do you think? Will we loose Alternative too?

WDRV will most likely stay the course, and probably pick up no less than a 1/2 share doing nothing at all. As far as alternative goes..I can't listen to WKQX for more than 5 minutes. The newer music they play that's labeled alternative just doesn't cut it for me. Given the choice, I would have much rather seen them sell WKQX first. If they can't negotiate on WKQX, and it gets flipped by a new owner, I could see iHeart flipping WEBG to alternative. I'm perplexed that Chicago still has 2 country stations (if you can consider either one truly "Country")! I wonder how long it will take Cumulus to unload WLS AM/FM if they lose WKQX.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul the Iguana Killer View Post
    I wonder how long it will take Cumulus to unload WLS AM/FM if they lose WKQX.
    Thanks in part to their purchase of Citadel, Cumulus has several 2-station and even 1-station clusters in their company. So I'd expect they'll retain the combo in order to give them market clearance in Chicago. The company also has a sales office in Chicago.

WKQX is still owned by Merlin, not Cumulus, and Merlin has made no secret that it intends to sell it. Once sold, given the ratings, it's likely to flip to another format, depending on who buys it.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "likely to flip."

WKQX performs well in Adults 18 - 34. In Men 18+, I suspect they do pretty well, too (especially upon removing Urban stations from the equation).

If a new owner were to ditch the Alternative format from 101.1 MHz, I suspect iHeart would flip 95.5 in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    WKQX performs well in Adults 18 - 34.
    I agree with that, but the reason I say its likely to flip is because the alternative format, regardless of owner, tends to underbill its ratings for some reason.

It'll be interesting to see if Hubbard sticks with Alternative in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if Hubbard sticks with Alternative in St. Louis.
    Hub launched Alt AZ a few years ago. So far, it's decent. It may not bill the greatest, but works in tandem with KUPD and KSLX. If Hub grabs KQX, it'd be an ok sales combo with Drive and maybe Mix.

If you're out in the NW suburbs, 103.9 The Fox (WFXF), regularly plays Motorhead, Metallica, etc... Especially during Capone's afternoon drive show.

The Loop didn’t play any of these artists in recent years to begin with. WFXF does.

WLUP

Well I heard that IHeartMedia is going down under too so who knows who will pick up these stations. I’m guessing Entercom will and have WKQX sound more like KROQ, which is closely how Q101 sounded before they kicked the bucket. If Hubbard purchases WKQX it will most likely keep the alternative format and put Sherman and Tingle WKQX. Bring Mancow to 97.1 The Drive. The Drive starts playing bands like Judas Preist, Metallica, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Guns N Roses , Motley Crue, Iron Maiden ect. I mean these bands are 25 + years old and these are bands 90 percent of what Classic Rock Stations already play. Now I know you guys will disagree with what I said about hiring Mancow to the Drive but remember WLUP and WDRV had almost identical ratings. Unfortunately I live in Northwest Indiana where 95.1 Will Rock, 103.9 The Fox, and 100.7 is out of reach. 103.9 X-Rock is a crappy Classic Rock Station. My brother lives in Dallas so I stream KEGL on my unlimited data plan.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
    Well I heard that IHeartMedia is going down under too so who knows who will pick up these stations.
    iHeart is not "going down". They filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and will reorganize, with the intent of emerging with lower debt. The station group is very profitable, but not enough so to carry the current $20 billion in debt caused by the 2008 LBO. With less debt, they will be a very good company.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast