• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mens Room... San Diego

Actually, I don't think this is their first outlet outside of Seattle, I think WCMF is also running the show in evenings.

Funny how syndication is lauded and voice tracking is condemned.

They've been "syndicated" for awhile almost exclusively to Entercom stations. It's just glorified voice tracking.

I find it interesting that the San Diego station is broadcasting the show "live." Which makes it more than voice tracking.

I find it interesting that the San Diego station is broadcasting the show "live." Which makes it more than voice tracking.

Voice tracking gives the opportunity to be local. Simulcasting a show live doesn’t make a show any more local. Even Movin’ has its syndicated morning show do live and local breaks.

Although the idea of a live simulcast gives the opportunity for live updates on national news or happenings that could affect the local market. Voice tracking itself doesn't provide that.

There are benefits and shortfalls to any way of presenting a station. Personally I'm not against voice tracking in principal, especially these days where you can't always tell the difference. What I am against however is these big companies, most notably iHeart, who have decided to track many stations from out of market instead of allowing that opportunity for someone local, even if that shift is still tracked. This is a bit of a side tangent, but look at iHeart Portland after 8 at night.
* KKRZ sounds local but tracked out of New York
* KKCW syndicated
* KFBW was syndicated last I listened, not sure what they're doing now that Nicky Sixx has ended his show
* KLTH the only resemblance of local programming, though probably tracked
* KXJM likely tracked out of San Francisco, though again sounds local.
On the am side, what annoys me about that cluster is that Sacramento is a smaller market, both KEX and KFBK running Coast to Coast, but KFBK has a local anchor reading local headlines at the top and bottom of the hour. The updates on KEX consist of a report from ABC, a weather report from KATU, and a couple of promos for other stations in the cluster.

There are benefits and shortfalls to any way of presenting a station. Personally I'm not against voice tracking in principal, especially these days where you can't always tell the difference. What I am against however is these big companies, most notably iHeart, who have decided to track many stations from out of market instead of allowing that opportunity for someone local, even if that shift is still tracked. This is a bit of a side tangent, but look at iHeart Portland after 8 at night.
* KKRZ sounds local but tracked out of New York
* KKCW syndicated
* KFBW was syndicated last I listened, not sure what they're doing now that Nicky Sixx has ended his show
* KLTH the only resemblance of local programming, though probably tracked
* KXJM likely tracked out of San Francisco, though again sounds local.
On the am side, what annoys me about that cluster is that Sacramento is a smaller market, both KEX and KFBK running Coast to Coast, but KFBK has a local anchor reading local headlines at the top and bottom of the hour. The updates on KEX consist of a report from ABC, a weather report from KATU, and a couple of promos for other stations in the cluster.

..and don't forget to download the iHeartRadio app (I swear I hear more pitches for that than anything else on iHM stations. Which is why I prefer TuneIn. It doesn't carry iHeart stations.)

But seriously, voicetracking is everywhere and here to stay. Love it or hate it, the debate is over. It's a thing.

As with syndication. Everyone does it on every level of terrestrial radio from Part 15 to Hubbard. And right or wrong, that too is an accepted norm. And I'm afraid you'll be hearing a lot more of it. But in the same breath. don't bemoan it too much. NPR has been doing this longer than anybody now.

But seriously, voicetracking is everywhere and here to stay. Love it or hate it, the debate is over. It's a thing.

True statement. Personally speaking, now the debate is who does it well, not who does it. There are some talent I've noted on terrestrial and satellite, who either don't know how, or don't care to make their tracks sound live or even interesting. I can really tell who's just trying to crank out their tracks so they can go do something else. Doesn't make for very compelling radio.

..and don't forget to download the iHeartRadio app (I swear I hear more pitches for that than anything else on iHM stations. Which is why I prefer TuneIn. It doesn't carry iHeart stations.)

As with syndication. Everyone does it on every level of terrestrial radio from Part 15 to Hubbard. And right or wrong, that too is an accepted norm. And I'm afraid you'll be hearing a lot more of it. But in the same breath. don't bemoan it too much. NPR has been doing this longer than anybody now.

True, the iHeart promos are little over the top. What annoys me is that they have to add iHeart Radio to everything. It shouldn't be the Z100 iHeart Radio Interactive 9 at 9, it should simply be the Z100 interactive 9 at 9.

Mens Room flushed out of San Diego as the station decided to go all Sports.

Looks like that station's rock/talk format lasted a month? Yikes.

The Men's Room will land in other places. But the San Diego rock/talk station was doomed from the beginning. I mean, what decade is this? "The Talk That Rocks"? When was the last time you heard anyone of the general public in the last 30 years using "rocks" as a metaphor for exciting or awesome?

While it's true nearly anything is up for a reboot because the entertainment industry is out of fresh ideas, it wasn't a good time to bring back "Shock Talk" radio. Before Janet Jackson's right nipple indirectly killed it the first time, it was already causing enough PR problems, from advertisers to women's advocacy groups. Kevin Kline's "JUMP" promo meme of the Coronado Bridge (which everyone in San Diego knew was being retrofitted with suicide nets) was not only blatantly stupid in 2018, but also a painful reminder that social/mental health awareness was never Shock Talk radio's strongest point in an age and business where that's impossible to avoid.

Not saying The Men's Room is shock talk. But the meme controversy was tainting the rest of the station and something had to be done fast to save that huge Padres contract. And in turn, the switch probably also saved The Men's Room from the fallout. They'll probably wind up on another San Diego station. Or even back to KEGY if Entercom San Diego can get beyond this mess. They'll be fine.

But the meme controversy was tainting the rest of the station and something had to be done fast to save that huge Padres contract.

Given Entercom's efforts to land Sports play-by-play rights as fast as they can in other markets across the country, this was likely the catalyst for the change.

Given Entercom's efforts to land Sports play-by-play rights as fast as they can in other markets across the country, this was likely the catalyst for the change.

It had everything to do with KEEPING rights (the Padres). The team was never informed of the guy-talk format change so they were already unhappy and the meme just added fuel to the fire.

Funny how syndication is lauded and voice tracking is condemned.

They've been "syndicated" for awhile almost exclusively to Entercom stations. It's just glorified voice tracking.

Yep same is true for B and J as well huh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom