• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The LAST Doowopp Radio Show On Terrestrial Radio Goes Bye-Bye Tonight!

A

andreajesus

AFTER 60 years, Dan Romanello (and the Group Harmony Review) are BOTH leaving WFUV - this is what Dan posted on 'FUV's website:

http://www.wfuv.org/content/yours-in-group-harmony

After 2AM Eastern tonight, the streetcorner vocal group sound will be on terrestrial radio no more - but confined to the 'Net :(

@ Andrea : YOU were one of the people who made us here live to Internet Oldies, vis-a-vis Top Shelf Oldies and Good Time Oldies -- and to their grand chat rooms. A tip of the earphones to you!

Was Romanello himself ever in a group that charted? (My doo-wopp culture is sketchy ....)

I recall listening to a doo-wopp show on occasion, off WFUV. 1966 or so. Might it've been the Time Capsule Show? I don't recall its name, or that of the host.

Last edited:
That question brings back memories. The Time Capsule iirc was hosted by Tom Luciani. Tom had a tape of end-groove record noise he'd play over some of the songs to make the clean ones sound old.

Cool Bobby B (Bobby Backman) has a Doo Wop show Sunday nights at 9 PM on SiriusXM 50s on 5. It is also heard Tuesday at 9 PM on WLNG and WLNG.com. I believe that other radio stations on the web carry it.

@ Big A : We're about 100 miles NNW of Philly. I looked for a suitable city (Blue Bell) 'somewhat' north of PHL since that's the market you referenced.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate?select=city&city=Blue+Bell+PA&x=0&y=0

Most of my FM DX is of the hit-and-miss type, when you encounter some skip or trope affecting a station that usually comes in. And those times of listening always seem to be in the car. Not too much in-house listening to FM.

We're also up pretty high here; the town is like 1500 feet ASL. So lots of FM stations come in, mostly locals and semi-locals. They pretty much fill up the dial.

I hope the list helps. Sorry I couldn't assist more.

I recall listening to a doo-wopp show on occasion, off WFUV. 1966 or so. Might it've been the Time Capsule Show? I don't recall its name, or that of the host.

that was the same show - it was a name change thing....

Not just the net. I believe that Sirius/XM carries a Doo-Wop show on Sunday night.

They do - I consider that the Internet - at one point when i was younger, there were shows (at least in NYC) on SEVERAL different NYC radio stations at least ONCE per week - ALL of those shows are gone - it's now an Internet (and Sirius/XM) thing...

Charlie Brown has a beach music show, which has similar music to doo-wop.

I'm not sure how you can listen online unless you can find an affiliate. WSAT Salisbury NC airs the show Saturdays from 9 AM to Noon Eastern.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WSAT

Also, 50s music is played as part of the Good Time Oldies format, which unfortunately includes a lot of loud rock music from the 70s and even the 80s. I say loud because that's not what I consider oldies to be.

Good Time Oldies? Not so sure....

Charlie Brown has a beach music show, which has similar music to doo-wop.

I'm not sure how you can listen online unless you can find an affiliate. WSAT Salisbury NC airs the show Saturdays from 9 AM to Noon Eastern.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WSAT

Also, 50s music is played as part of the Good Time Oldies format, which unfortunately includes a lot of loud rock music from the 70s and even the 80s. I say loud because that's not what I consider oldies to be.

Let me address your points, one at a time.... :)

1) Beach music is more R-and-B oriented and a bit later in chronological scope than doowop - doowopp's years were basically from 1948 to 1964.
2) Thanks for the WSAT link (links always appreciated :) );
3) and as far as the Good Time Oldies format is concerned, i agree with you - i don't consider their stuff to be true oldies - more like the kinda stuff that CBSFM is doing these days

WPLB or WKCE playing 50 and 60 oldies including doo-wop with a bit of country thrown into the mix. Mostly automated except for 8AM to 10 AM East coast time on WKCE and 5 PM to 6 PM East coast time on WPLB when Roger Morgan does his show and he takes requests. Both stations are streaming .

Let me address your points, one at a time.... :)

1) Beach music is more R-and-B oriented and a bit later in chronological scope than doowop - doowopp's years were basically from 1948 to 1964.
2) Thanks for the WSAT link (links always appreciated :) );
3) and as far as the Good Time Oldies format is concerned, i agree with you - i don't consider their stuff to be true oldies - more like the kinda stuff that CBSFM is doing these days
It is true that some of the beach music is newer.

Good Time Oldies isn't like CBS-FM at all. It is what people wish CBS-FM was still doing. Though even when they were doing it, some wished the "oldies" were older.

I Wish The Oldies Were Older

It is true that some of the beach music is newer.

Good Time Oldies isn't like CBS-FM at all. It is what people wish CBS-FM was still doing. Though even when they were doing it, some wished the "oldies" were older.

well, as one who grew up with CBSFM when it was TRULY New York's Oldies Station, I WISH that the oldies were "older"....and that a certain air personality, who shall remain nameless, were NOT doing mornings there - UGH!

well, as one who grew up with CBSFM when it was TRULY New York's Oldies Station, I WISH that the oldies were "older"....and that a certain air personality, who shall remain nameless, were NOT doing mornings there - UGH!
I think CBS-FM may have sounded like Good Time Oldies when it came back after being Jack for a while. Except I don't think the 50s were there and there may have been fewer 60s tunes.

Here is a good oldies station.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WZKY

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom