What format/media type for music? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What format/media type for music?

Quote Originally Posted by eriedj View Post
    Hard drive storage is relatively inexpensive nowadays. Another file format that is lossless is flac. The clicks and pops you hear that may have been uncleaned vinyl dubs from the 1980s perhaps. I know TM Century at one time did vinyl dubs.
    Their gold disk category had them for a while, and even the hit disks had a few early on, before CD service from record companies was standard... Then they would reservice them from an original CD source. This was in the very early 1990's.

Where I worked we sometimes used vinyl, and if the records were very bad you'd put water on the track and it would sometimes quiet a noisy record down... That and the pop filter on the rack would often do the trick. Whatever they couldn't take out, the razorblade would have to be used to remove it from the tape.

Vinyl, record, CD, tape, DAT -- all ancient tech now.

Broadcast companies mainly air LP versions these days so any single versions from vinyl are non-existent. I doubt music directors are in a production room recreating single versions prior to CD singles from the 80s or 90s. Guessing the listeners don't care.

Me, as a completist, prefer single versions and radio edits for my own personal library. But, I'm a rare breed. LOL. I've often recreated short versions digitally, if possible. Otherwise, I've dubbed vinyl and cleaned them up with ClickRepair and Adobe Audition.
    Former Radio DJ (25 years)
    Current: Full-Time Wedding & Event DJ Entertainer (22 years and counting )
    John Gallagher Wedding & Special Event Entertainment

Century21 / TM Century transitioned to production master tapes sent by the labels, whenever possible, for the HitDosc and GoldDisc products. Of course they discontinued the GoldDisc libraries a couple of years back.

R

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bass View Post
    Century21 / TM Century transitioned to production master tapes sent by the labels, whenever possible, for the HitDosc and GoldDisc products. Of course they discontinued the GoldDisc libraries a couple of years back.

R
    I programmed one of the HitDisk categories for a number of years in the mid to late 90's and at that time we used CDs exclusively as source material as tape was not available for most product and took too long to get.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I programmed one of the HitDisk categories for a number of years in the mid to late 90's and at that time we used CDs exclusively as source material as tape was not available for most product and took too long to get.
    Sure in the later years of the products, but for a lot of cuts in their library formats it was a different situation. I forget at the moment what the technology used was called, but it came to them from the labels in a digital format on Betamax video tapes. These were the same tapes being sent to the CD manufacturing plants for getting the music onto CD for consumers.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bass View Post
    Sure in the later years of the products, but for a lot of cuts in their library formats it was a different situation. I forget at the moment what the technology used was called, but it came to them from the labels in a digital format on Betamax video tapes. These were the same tapes being sent to the CD manufacturing plants for getting the music onto CD for consumers.

R
    Sony PCM 1630 and U-Matic Video Tape...

R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12