• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What local Boston AM-FM Stations' HD-2 and HD-3 are not also available online?..

The HD radio app and site are very outdated especially with ownership changes.I think it lists 1430 "Mia" which changed to talk in July of 2015.And will probably change tomorrow.

Some of the HD subchannels do streamcast because they're already on AM or FM and do stream.TuneIn may have some of these streams. The listings for WERS, WGBH etc are probably accurate but 92.9's HD2 is Bloomberg.So is 94.5 HD2 but that may change tomorrow. Well they may still simulcast 1200 but now it will be talk.

Not sure about some of the others like Irish 96.9 (WBQT HD2) or the Bone on 105.7

93.7 HD2, 104.1 HD2: WAAF which streams
101.7 HD2 Evolution, not sure
100.7 HD2 WRKO...streams
107.9 HD2 WBZ AM...streams

Possibly go to TuneIn and search for local stations..
Some HD2s.

Tune in does list
103.3 HD2 WODS oldies
103.3 HD3 The Cove...still on?
102.9 HD2 N.E. talk (Merr valley)
104.1 HD2 80s (Wrong.WAAF)
98.5 HD2 Hubcast (Sports Hub podcasts)
The aforementioned WGBH and WERS subchannels

So what isn't on there? No links for whatever country is on 102.5 HD2, Evolution on 101.7 HD2 Irish on 96.9 HD2, Christmas on 106.7 HD2...

104.1 HD3, "Tomorrow's Hits Today" (new CHR releases), doesn't seem to be on there, but that may not be locally programmed.

Eli, you're getting an HD3 but here in Beverly at the moment I can only get HD2s.Maybe some HD3s were shut off.I remember going to Pittsburgh and my rental car had HD-- there were some HD4s around (on Q92.9, Bob 96.9).

Again the HD radio site/app really needs updating.1430 (not sure if they're HD or not) went to Spanish this morning (Rumba?) and I think later today is when 1200--and probably 94.5 HD2--goes conserv talk

Eli, you're getting an HD3 but here in Beverly at the moment I can only get HD2s.Maybe some HD3s were shut off.I remember going to Pittsburgh and my rental car had HD-- there were some HD4s around (on Q92.9, Bob 96.9).

The farther up the HD subchannel scale, the lower the bandwidth. HD3's have lower bandwidth than HD2's, so they may not propagate as well, and may not come in over distances as well (or at all).

Here in Somerville, three miles line of sight of the Pru transmitter, I'm still getting 104.1 HD3 "Tomorrow's Hits Today" as of right now. The hill I'm on the side of is also about nine miles practically line of sight from from the Newton/Needham transmitters near Route 128, so I'm also still getting 103.3 HD3 "The Cove".

However, when I try to listen to these HD3's on my portable in my car, they tend to break up and cut out much more when moving than the HD2's of the same stations.

I remember Boston's one attempt at running an HD4 a few years ago, new-age talk with "Psychic Radio" followed by "Sky Radio" on 104.1 HD4, had an abysmal signal. Even within a few miles line of sight of the Pru, it was getting either all broken up, or all chopped up, or maybe both at once. I could get it on a good HD home receiver in a good spot, but the bandwidth sounded like mono analog AM. They abandoned it after a couple of years.

Again the HD radio site/app really needs updating.1430 (not sure if they're HD or not) went to Spanish this morning (Rumba?) and I think later today is when 1200--and probably 94.5 HD2--goes conserv talk

I live less than two miles from the 1430 transmitter, and get a strong signal day and night. 1430 is Spanish music today, but not in HD. 1430 shut off its HD a few years ago, a couple of weeks after flipping from Spanish music "Mia" to the syndicated conservative talk format. I don't know if they'll bother to turn it back on again now, especially considering the stations current ownership status.

The only AM I get in HD here is WBZ during the daytime, they shut it off at sunset every night.

I'm near 93.7's stick.They had RKO on HD2 and AAF on HD3.After ownership change, or just before, AAF was bumped up to HD2 and no HD3 (RKO is on ZLX's HD2).Don't know if WEEI 93.7 is on AAF HD2 or 3

1430 is Spanish music today, but not in HD. 1430 shut off its HD a few years ago, a couple of weeks after flipping from Spanish music "Mia" to the syndicated conservative talk format. I don't know if they'll bother to turn it back on again now, especially considering the stations current ownership status.

The only AM I get in HD here is WBZ during the daytime, they shut it off at sunset every night.

I thought iHeart turned off 1030's HD, since it is no longer mentioned in the station ID: "WBZ, Boston. WXKS-FM HD-2, Medford. An iHeartRadio Station." In fact, someone on one of these boards mentioned iHeart had turned off 1030's HD. If it's still there, even if during the day, that's encouraging.

The old CBS Radio had "WBZ and HD. WBZ-FM HD-3 Boston."

I never quite understood why HD was turned off when 1430 switched to conservative talk. I recall tuning in 1430 one summer afternoon while driving home on I-495 after teaching class; Rush was on. From out of nowhere, my car filled up with a wall of clear, vibrant sound. It was only then I realized they were transmitting in HD. A few days later, it was gone, gone, gone.

From what I understand, 1430’s HD went away because the exciter broke down and they didn’t find it worth fixing. It was not related to the format.

I'm near 93.7's stick.They had RKO on HD2 and AAF on HD3.After ownership change, or just before, AAF was bumped up to HD2 and no HD3 (RKO is on ZLX's HD2).Don't know if WEEI 93.7 is on AAF HD2 or 3

From what I can hear, WEEI-FM is now on WAAF HD2, and there seems to be no WAAF HD3 on the air.

I thought iHeart turned off 1030's HD, since it is no longer mentioned in the station ID: "WBZ, Boston. WXKS-FM HD-2, Medford. An iHeartRadio Station." In fact, someone on one of these boards mentioned iHeart had turned off 1030's HD. If it's still there, even if during the day, that's encouraging.

I heard 1030 in HD, and saw the HD indicator on, on my AM HD radio yesterday.

I actually am getting WWBX 104.1 HD3 here in Beverly now.The only other HD3 I get is the one for WGBH (WCAI from the Cape)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom