• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEGL Question RE: Need You Tonight - INXS

I seem to recall when this song was played back in the day, KEGL covered the mid song silence pause with a dry "The Eagle" jingle. What was the reason for doing this?

R

I seem to recall when this song was played back in the day, KEGL covered the mid song silence pause with a dry "The Eagle" jingle. What was the reason for doing this?

R

The cases of mid song silences I know of where the station inserted something had to do with preventing the silence sensing alarm from going off; that alarm was often tied with a "trigger the next event" function, so it would cut the song off!

R

I remember a lot of jocks would screw around with that song as well as George Michael's Faith, and Roxette's The Look. One guy I knew would always fill in the pause with "This space for rent," mainly because he could.

I remember a lot of jocks would screw around with that song as well as George Michael's Faith, and Roxette's The Look. One guy I knew would always fill in the pause with "This space for rent," mainly because he could.

Hah, that's funny!

R

The cases of mid song silences I know of where the station inserted something had to do with preventing the silence sensing alarm from going off; that alarm was often tied with a "trigger the next event" function, so it would cut the song off!

Couldn't they time the silence alarm to cover such pauses? If I recall (I worked in the back shop of a format factory) we were told that pauses were OK in songs up to a certain number of seconds (or a second or so).

Couldn't they time the silence alarm to cover such pauses? If I recall (I worked in the back shop of a format factory) we were told that pauses were OK in songs up to a certain number of seconds (or a second or so).

I can't imagine them even needing silence sensors in those days, since they had DJ's 24/7. But if they did have them then yes they should have been adjusted.

R

I can't imagine them even needing silence sensors in those days, since they had DJ's 24/7. But if they did have them then yes they should have been adjusted.

R

Many of use with all live stations "way back" still had silence sensors triggered by the air monitor, and they were loud and annoying (on purpose). The idea was not just to go off if the "bathroom song" ran out, but if the studio audio was fine but the link or the transmitter might be off. Jocks generally preferred, no matter what the rule was, to listen to the studio audio and not the off-air audio so they could have been thinking everything was fine but they were really off the air.

In more recent times (90's and beyond) even live assist stations that had live jocks might use a silence sensor to trigger the next item if there was silence. I was with one station that had a setup that silence-sensed on everything except the mike, so pauses in the morning show would not make the alarm go off.

Last edited:

Many of use with all live stations "way back" still had silence sensors triggered by the air monitor, and they were loud and annoying (on purpose). The idea was not just to go off if the "bathroom song" ran out, but if the studio audio was fine but the link or the transmitter might be off. Jocks generally preferred, no matter what the rule was, to listen to the studio audio and not the off-air audio so they could have been thinking everything was fine but they were really off the air.

In more recent times (90's and beyond) even live assist stations that had live jocks might use a silence sensor to trigger the next item if there was silence. I was with one station that had a setup that silence-sensed on everything except the mike, so pauses in the morning show would not make the alarm go off.

Never did that during my career. A few others would switch to program monitor when on mic, but switched back to air monitor at all other times. The sensor we had in the studio monitored the program bus, not off air. For a time it would trip during the intro of Car Wash, so the silence length delay was increased to resolve that. I also disabled it during sports remotes.

R

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom