• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFXR 1190 - iHeart's Most Unusual Talk Station

iHeart has some of the top talk stations in the largest markets including the biggest talkradio money maker, KFI Los Angeles. It also has WOR New York, KTRH Houston, WOAI San Antonio, WIOD Miami, WFLA Tampa, KOGO San Diego, etc. Most of them carry all or most of the top shows from Premiere Networks, an iHeart subsidiary.

But the iHeart station in Market #5, 1190 KFXR Dallas, is different. It doesn't carry a line-up of top notch local hosts, as KFI does. But it also doesn't carry the four top Premiere hosts, as most of the other iHeart stations do. Because it can't. With little faith in KFXR, iHeart gives other stations in the Dallas market its highest-rated syndicated shows.

Rush Limbaugh is on Cumulus station 820 WBAP.
Sean Hannity is on Salem station 660 KSKY.
Glenn Beck and George Noory's AM Coast to Coast are on Cumulus station 570 KLIF.

So what DOES it run? It has a rock DJ from co-owned KEGL 97.1 doing its morning show. (It starts at 7am. He doesn't want to get up at 6.) It runs Michael Berry from co-owned 740 KTRH Houston for six hours a day, two hours live, four hours tape or repeat. It runs Tom Shilue from Fox News Radio. It runs one Premiere show, Clyde Lewis, twice a day. It runs "Free Talk Live" which is the third ranked overnight show, syndicated from I don't know where. (If you can't get Noory or Red Eye, Free Talk Live is what you settle for.)

It doesn't run Premiere host Buck Sexton. It doesn't seem to carry the Premiere weekend shows, Tom Sullivan (home repair), Bill Handel (law), Leo Laporte (tech) or Neil Saavedra (The Jesus Christ Show). It doesn't run syndicated hosts who do their shows at iHeart stations, such as Joe Pags (WOAI San Antonio), Tom Martino (KHOW Denver) or Todd Schnitt (WFLA Tampa).

It does run a lot of infomercials, middays and weekends.

Dunno what more can be done with 11~Ninety, other than sell infomercials and generate some revenue. Anyone know if I ♥ Debt still owns the land under their two transmitter sites?

actually, the Russ Martin Show airs live on 97.1 The Eagle at 3-7 PM and when it airs on 1190 AM, it's pretty much the previous day's show. it's consider a "replay" airing.

1190 is pretty much the worst run and lowest rated station in the IHR DFW cluster. if i was IHR, i would sell it or at least hand the license over to the FCC and have the station shut down and just buy full another radio station in the market (which right now, they would be focusing on selling stations then to buy them with their debt issues).

it's too bad IHR and another company don't want to make a station trade where they could get a better station for AM out of the fold in the market.

and another thing about 1190 is it's signal, it's pretty bad, isn't it.

if i was IHR, i would sell it or at least hand the license over to the FCC and have the station shut down and just buy full another radio station in the market (which right now, they would be focusing on selling stations then to buy them with their debt issues).

it's too bad IHR and another company don't want to make a station trade where they could get a better station for AM out of the fold in the market.

and another thing about 1190 is it's signal, it's pretty bad, isn't it.

Good ol Benjamin Homel convinced his bosses 11~Ninety was worth $13m in 2001. Does anyone think the station can be sold for even 25% of that today? I ♥ Debt is in no position to buy...just trade. As far as signals go, daytime is awesome. Nighttime is spotty, but you can say that about all but three AM's in the market.

"Free Talk Live" is syndicated from a studio in New Hampshire. I think the show's title is a reference to that state's motto, Live Free or Die.

Also, "FTL" is live at 7pm Eastern, so that show is also being presented on a long delay.

Russ Martin is repeated from the previous day, all the top notch shows were taken before 1190 went talk. In fact, the majority of those mentioned shows were all on WBAP at one point. Free Talk Live is distributed by GCN on Cumulus' XDS platform and the Liberty Radio Network but I'm sure iHeart pulls it from GCN.

At one time there was a decent Classic Country format rolling on 1190.

As far as the signal, its Daytime coverage isn't bad at 50kW but the night signal has always struggled after the move to Rockwall. AFAIK iHeart owns both sites.

And for whatever entity that owns the Rockwall site, that's 32 acres times whatever raw land is worth in an area of $350,000 and up homes. My guess is $100,000 an acre.

And for whatever entity that owns the Rockwall site, that's 32 acres times whatever raw land is worth in an area of $350,000 and up homes. My guess is $100,000 an acre.

That pencils out to $3.2m...a price in all likelihood greater than the value of the license. But I suspect I ♥ Debt sold those 16 sticks (and the land under them) to Vertical Bridge a while back. Would a buyer want to lease both sites? Doubt it, so the Mighty 11~Ninety could follow former Top 40 KQV down the downgrade path.

So the morning show on an AM talk station is the previous day's PM Drive show on a hard-edged FM Rock station, KEGL? Wow. Are we hearing Friday's conversation on Monday? Does someone edit out the music? Is the talk bawdy?

You may remember iHeart, after it acquired long time NYC talk station 710 WOR, to save money and try to lower the demographics, simulcast a rock morning show from 101 WWDC in Washington. The host, "Elliot in The Morning," was even going to relocate from Washington to NYC. Then everyone heard it and said, "This is NOT a WOR show." Elliot never made the move and WOR hired a morning team to do conventional talk only a few months later.

You may remember iHeart, after it acquired long time NYC talk station 710 WOR, to save money and try to lower the demographics, simulcast a rock morning show from 101 WWDC in Washington.

Lower the demos, yes. Save money? No. Moving a successful contracted air talent from DC to NY is not cheap. Not to mention the damage it would do to DC 101. I think it was cheaper to do the deal with Todd Schnitt. The new morning show wasn't very good either, and Schnitt left a few months ago. They just replaced him.

That pencils out to $3.2m...a price in all likelihood greater than the value of the license. But I suspect I ♥ Debt sold those 16 sticks (and the land under them) to Vertical Bridge a while back. Would a buyer want to lease both sites? Doubt it, so the Mighty 11~Ninety could follow former Top 40 KQV down the downgrade path.

At least the 1190 signal has a lot more breathing room than KQV, which may struggle to stay away from a downgrade to class D. 1190's night signal might take a hit if they have to use the 4 tower daytime site, but it looks to my strictly layman's observation that it wouldn't be that hard to deliver an adequate night signal to Dallas proper from the daytime site.

And I was wondering, with the WOWO downgrade that KFXR 1190 might be able to have a less restrictive night pattern to the east?

Probably not much could be done to the east due to WOWO's downgrade. There is a station in Little Rock on 1190 that has to be protected.

Just a wasted opportunity. 1190 could have been one hell of a talk station had they moved Rush-Hannity-Beck over to it, and attempted to improve it's night pattern to cover the north-northwest metro. The best thing I enjoyed was the Jack FM clone "Mighty 1190" around 2005 but that was never going to last long.

Just a wasted opportunity. 1190 could have been one hell of a talk station had they moved Rush-Hannity-Beck over to it, and attempted to improve it's night pattern to cover the north-northwest metro. The best thing I enjoyed was the Jack FM clone "Mighty 1190" around 2005 but that was never going to last long.

I don't know that there's any way to improve night time coverage on this frequency.

What do you suggest?

Leave it alone. No ratings to monetize, no potential of ratings. It's just not worth the cost of a new engineering study to get some kind of nighttime coverage from the Irving site. With as many co and adjacent channels to protect, it may not be possible to do anything but downgrade to Class D and run under 250 watts at night. The sole purpose of the 12 towers in Rockwall was to get nighttime coverage to Ft Worth.

The sole purpose of the 12 towers in Rockwall was to get nighttime coverage to Ft Worth.

If that was the intent, it really didn’t work very well. In the 1970s, when the night facility was still new, the 1190 night signal into Fort Worth was no better than the WOAI skywave 10kHz up. Listenable, but not local strength.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom