• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIKO-AM New Format - Classic Country

asugeorge1

Star Participant
The carousel of formats and frequencies at KIKO continues. This time, it’s 1340 KIKO-AM Apache Junction. They have flipped formats from Spanish Christian to Classic Country, with a local DJ and everything. The station is also simulcast on one of the many 102.9 translators in Phoenix, in particular K246CH, which was moved from Tuba City down to Phoenix, currently broadcasting from high atop Usery Mountain in Mesa. Don’t know if the call letters of the translator will be different since K246CH-FM correspondes to it’s former channel position of 97.1 FM (channel 246), but that is what is still showing up. At some point, the translator on 102.9 FM should be K275.. to reflect it’s new position on channel 275.

Between that and KIKO-FM moving around from 97.3 FM to 96.5 FM, it is hard to keep track of the madness of John Low over at KIKO!

The DJ you mentioned is Len Novin, the former morning man at KFXY-LP 99.1 (who I thought was going to host the morning show at 90.7). From a Facebook post I found, he was also going to host a gun-related show on the station too (Low owns a gun show business). Ironically, Low drove KFXY off the air. I wonder if Low made this switch to get back at Linda Corso at KRDE?

In addition to 1340/102.9 and 96.5, KIKO is also on 105.1 in the Miami-Globe area with a music format different than the other two KIKO's.

That's a translator not being fed by its parent station. (It should be carrying Voz y Visión as it is linked to KIKO AM.) This just never ends!

That's a translator not being fed by its parent station. (It should be carrying Voz y Visión as it is linked to KIKO AM.) This just never ends!

Voz y Vision on 1340 was replaced by a simulcast of oldies from KIKO-FM either late last year or early this year. They just switched 1340 over to this country format. That’s what 105.1 in Globe should be broadcasting.

Speaking of the 102.9 translator, where you can receive it, it sounds awful. They think they can find listeners who like this music in glorious low-fidelity AM mono?

Voz y Vision on 1340 was replaced by a simulcast of oldies from KIKO-FM either late last year or early this year. They just switched 1340 over to this country format. That’s what 105.1 in Globe should be broadcasting.

Speaking of the 102.9 translator, where you can receive it, it sounds awful. They think they can find listeners who like this music in glorious low-fidelity AM mono?

I can't even get it here reliably because of the Immaculate Heart Radio (KIHP) translator.

I was expecting to hear country on 105.1 last week but it was a rock format and different from 96.5. BTW, 105.1 has had terrible audio quality for years.

I was expecting to hear country on 105.1 last week but it was a rock format and different from 96.5. BTW, 105.1 has had terrible audio quality for years.

That seems to be kind of par for the course with the John Low stations. Their translator on 97.3 is awful sounding, I don’t even know why it exists. The audio on 102.9 is also awful, I honestly prefer to listen on 1340 AM. Meanwhile 96.5 has decent audio, but it is not stereo so it leaves a lot to be lacking.

On a side note, anyone notice how John Low is soliciting complaints for listeners of KIKO 96.5 FM? I have heard the request for complaints on air and it is also on the station’s website. It is with regards to the 96.5 translator out of Phoenix, K243BN.

You can see the pre-filled form here: http://965oldies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/interference-Letter-for-KIKO-listeners.pdf

Yes the translator does interfere with KIKO-FM, but here’s the thing: If KIKO would have stayed on 97.3 FM, they wouldn’t have had any interference except from themselves! John Low interfered with his own station with the 97.3 translator, K247CF-FM, which translates KZON, 103.9 FM / 97.5 FM. Still, it seems like KIKO-FM has a bone to pick with the owners of the Spanish language 96.5 translator out of Phoenix so this should be interesting to watch. Stay tuned!

That seems to be kind of par for the course with the John Low stations. Their translator on 97.3 is awful sounding, I don’t even know why it exists. The audio on 102.9 is also awful, I honestly prefer to listen on 1340 AM. Meanwhile 96.5 has decent audio, but it is not stereo so it leaves a lot to be lacking.

On a side note, anyone notice how John Low is soliciting complaints for listeners of KIKO 96.5 FM? I have heard the request for complaints on air and it is also on the station’s website. It is with regards to the 96.5 translator out of Phoenix, K243BN.

You can see the pre-filled form here: http://965oldies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/interference-Letter-for-KIKO-listeners.pdf

Yes the translator does interfere with KIKO-FM, but here’s the thing: If KIKO would have stayed on 97.3 FM, they wouldn’t have had any interference except from themselves! John Low interfered with his own station with the 97.3 translator, K247CF-FM, which translates KZON, 103.9 FM / 97.5 FM. Still, it seems like KIKO-FM has a bone to pick with the owners of the Spanish language 96.5 translator out of Phoenix so this should be interesting to watch. Stay tuned!

After picking fights with KRDE and KFXY-LP, Low wants to wage war with Vic Michael and his 96.5 translator? Michael has done some interesting things in the past like point out KSWG's antenna issues, so Low better proceed with caution.

AND now 1340's off the air. The last post from their Facebook account was on Saturday. Could this be another victim in a long line of short-lived formats, just like "97.5 Latino Mix" and the original Adult Hits format of "My 103.9?"

I'm calling KIKO today for a free roof inspection! The shingles at the Media Hut are as warped as the owners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom