• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RadioLocator now lists if stations are digital..BUT

Gunsmoke

Banned
They are not up to date, so far I found they list WKVP as digital plus many other AM/FM signals that are not...useless...

And if Radio-Locator is NOT the answer for digital, what is?

I hope someone does know a good source for what stations are digital; here in the St. Pete/Tampa area, one of the HD2’s was promoting the website HDradio.com and it looks as though that website hasn’t been updated in at least 18 months; they were showing 3 or 4 AM stations in the Tampa area as broadcasting in HD and they’re not and they also listed one station as digital that to the best of my knowledge has never been HD......I’m thinking maybe radio locator got some of their misinformation from the official HD radio site!

It would be nice if radiolocator or the fcc database would show HD subs, power and coverage area, also antenna location and height. But I assume the bays would be the same as the main signal. I recall a site a few years back, forgot the name, it would show you every AM and FM signal and all the subs, their power and coverage plus antenna locations, but again it was inaccurate.

It would be nice if radiolocator or the fcc database would show HD subs, power and coverage area, also antenna location and height. But I assume the bays would be the same as the main signal. I recall a site a few years back, forgot the name, it would show you every AM and FM signal and all the subs, their power and coverage plus antenna locations, but again it was inaccurate.

There are instances where the HD digital signal is not combined into the same antenna, and uses a fully separate transmitter and antenna system. These are usually on the same tower or support structure or rooftop.

The sad part is that HD Radio is finally starting to live up to what it was intended to be, which is additional and alternative broadcast outlets for programming. Some companies are using FM HDs to retransmit their AM stations, which is a great use as AM becomes less viable. For ten years it seems like these boards were filled with HD haters who argued that the technology should be banned. I don't see those people any more. Then again, AM HD has become less of an issue, and those people were AM DXers. As I said a long time ago, if people have the chance to hear HD Radio, they'll find something they will like. The problem was iBiquity made buying receivers expensive and difficult. Now HD is becoming standard equipment on more cars. I still believe that once the technology becomes shareware, it will really explode.

The sad part is that HD Radio is finally starting to live up to what it was intended to be, which is additional and alternative broadcast outlets for programming. Some companies are using FM HDs to retransmit their AM stations, which is a great use as AM becomes less viable. For ten years it seems like these boards were filled with HD haters who argued that the technology should be banned. I don't see those people any more. Then again, AM HD has become less of an issue, and those people were AM DXers. As I said a long time ago, if people have the chance to hear HD Radio, they'll find something they will like. The problem was iBiquity made buying receivers expensive and difficult. Now HD is becoming standard equipment on more cars. I still believe that once the technology becomes shareware, it will really explode.

You lost me. Why is that sad?

You lost me. Why is that sad?

You're right...that part of it isn't sad. What's sad is that HD Radio isn't getting promoted as actively as it was ten years ago. That the HD Radio database isn't being updated. That people don't know what options are available there. Those kinds of things. The big criticism was "Gee if there only was some programming there, people would buy the radios." Now the programming is there, and the main place where people can hear it is in their cars. The home radio business is non-existent.

I was always a supporter of HD since its birth. Being an old goat, I still want to listen to a real radio for music, not Satellite, internet, Iphone whatever. Since the formats I like are gone from the regular band, I enjoy tuning in my HD for Oldies-WMGK2, 80s-WBEB2, 70's-WOGL2, Hair Metal-WIP3 and SJ-WISX2. Only thing missing is Standards like the Strip, it baffles me why its not on the air so far with the Philly area always supporting it, does Dallas really know who Dean, Frank, Perry, Nat and Bing are lmao. Oh yeh and more power so the signals can get out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom