• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BW Broadcast TX600, Optimod 8100/A1 & Inovonics 703 RBDS Encoder

Has anyone tried to get all three to play together? We didn't like the bult-in BW "processor" and put the Orban with the XT2 chassis on. I had to disconnect the Inovonics to do this. I have a BNC "T" on the Orban output to feed pilot to the Inovonics (or else it won't output.) Trying to "T" the RBDS output with the Orban output into the MPX input of the transmitter severely loads the Orban. The Orban is too old to have an SCA input, and the transmitter is simple enough that is doesn't have an SCA input either. Replacing the encoder with one that has loop through capability is not in the budget.

Has anyone tried to get all three to play together? We didn't like the bult-in BW "processor" and put the Orban with the XT2 chassis on. I had to disconnect the Inovonics to do this. I have a BNC "T" on the Orban output to feed pilot to the Inovonics (or else it won't output.) Trying to "T" the RBDS output with the Orban output into the MPX input of the transmitter severely loads the Orban. The Orban is too old to have an SCA input, and the transmitter is simple enough that is doesn't have an SCA input either. Replacing the encoder with one that has loop through capability is not in the budget.

Depending on the age of your exciter, you may be able to insert your RDS there (assuming it as an input spigot), or some composite STL's have an SCA input that would accept your RDS. Unless there is some way of properly mixing the RDS with the composite audio, you're pretty well stuck. As you already determined, teeing into the composite line out of the stereo generator will cause serious impedance issues for both the RDS and your composite audio. All the injection levels, pilot, and your L+R, L-R audio will drop at least 10db. Stereo separation will be gone-zo.

So the station can't afford the $700 for a new RDS generator? Things must be tight there!

If you can find one used, Broadcast Devices, Inc made a composite distribution amplifier. The newer model CP-300 is around $900.

RFB

Thanks for the replies. This is a translator of an HD2, so no money for "real" RDS. The RDL unit is worth looking into. If we go that way, I'll post the results.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom