• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Youtube issues an apology over a trending conspiracy video

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...sues-mea-culpa-after-conspiracy-video-to.html

The Youtube Video in Question is a conspiracy theory in relation to the Mass Shooting in the Miami area high school last week.

yeah, conspiracy theorist are the worst, if it's a huge political sorry, there's a conspiracy for that. if i'm YouTube/Google, i better start cracking down on videos that have conspiracy theories that could be taken way to serious. we had in the last 15 years the "9/11 was a inside job" conspiracy, the "is the earth really flat" conspiracy, the "pizzagate" conspiracy, the "crisis actors in major tragedy" conspiracy (with this one being the most recent tragedy to be link to this one), and finally, the "George Soros" conspiracy where he's accused of meddling in any political event to help out "Liberals" to name a few well known conspiracy that Alex Jones, Info Wars and other conspiracy theorist tend to spread.

Here's the problem: When your business is acting strictly as a platform for user-generated content, that content will sometimes become problematic. We see that right here on these message boards. YouTube had a very innocent goal: Allow people to post their own videos. All that meant was building a user-friendly platform. It was all engineering and coding. Then, at some point, some of that user-generated content becomes violent or conspiratorial. None of that was expected back in the early days. So now they need to hire a bunch of new people, and then they have to decide how to "regulate" their platform. It's not going to be easy.

Here's the problem: When your business is acting strictly as a platform for user-generated content, that content will sometimes become problematic. We see that right here on these message boards. YouTube had a very innocent goal: Allow people to post their own videos. All that meant was building a user-friendly platform. It was all engineering and coding. Then, at some point, some of that user-generated content becomes violent or conspiratorial. None of that was expected back in the early days. So now they need to hire a bunch of new people, and then they have to decide how to "regulate" their platform. It's not going to be easy.

Well yes its going to be more complex than what is seen here. Well initially the people that were putting videos on YouTube were people on skateboards, dirt bikes and surfboards showing their tricks in the startup years of Youtube and what was trending initially on that platform. But once everybody else starts posting on Youtube your going to have many different reasons and questionable content will take on different meanings from Police brutality video to conspiracy theories. But the person who posted the police brutality video wants local media attention to address a legit issue that needs to be investigated. For the conspiracy theorist who knows how that's going to play out given last year's Alex Jones Lawsuits and the attempted pizzagate mass shooting verdicts that's causing backlash to Youtube,Twitter and Facebook the most over how to deal with fake news, hate speech and conspiracy theories.

There's a push to have YouTube, Amazon, etc etc boot NRA-TV from their platforms. I may not agree with everything the NRA stands for, but they are still a legal organization. Yes, those platforms can do as they see fit, but am I the only one disturbed by the idea of tech companies becoming the thought police? If they are going to be the gatekeepers of opinion, does that invite governmnet regulation?

There's a push to have YouTube, Amazon, etc etc boot NRA-TV from their platforms. I may not agree with everything the NRA stands for, but they are still a legal organization. Yes, those platforms can do as they see fit, but am I the only one disturbed by the idea of tech companies becoming the thought police? If they are going to be the gatekeepers of opinion, does that invite governmnet regulation?

Who knows how this will play out though questionable content will have different meanings to different audiences.

But Amazon, Facebook and Twitter and Youtube only removes the NRA content for fears of backlash and boycotts. Remember last year when Alex Jones was facing a lawsuit at the same time Edgar Welch was on trial for an attempted mass shooting at comet ping pong for Pizzagate. Facebook, Google and Twitter all had to face the possibility of advertiser boycotts due to the issue of Fake News, Conspiracy theories and Hate Speech. Google, Facebook, Oath, Apple, IAC and Twitter are not the thought police they only act on removing certain content if they feel investors are going to boycott them.

Google, Facebook, Oath, Apple, IAC and Twitter are not the thought police they only act on removing certain content if they feel investors are going to boycott them.

Or perhaps if they don't want to be included in a lawsuit or federal investigation, as has been the case recently.

Consider how much time Facebook has been spending since they were named as part of the Russia investigation. That's time and money they didn't budget to handle user-generated content. If they're going to be spending money overseeing content, they might as well get into the content creation business themselves.

One would think. I still believe thst if the election had gone as planned, we'd be hearing absolutely nothing about Russians or Fake News.

Or perhaps if they don't want to be included in a lawsuit or federal investigation, as has been the case recently.

Consider how much time Facebook has been spending since they were named as part of the Russia investigation. That's time and money they didn't budget to handle user-generated content. If they're going to be spending money overseeing content, they might as well get into the content creation business themselves.

https://www.nraila.org/contributors/cam-edwards

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/companies-sticking-by-the-nra_us_5a903e4be4b01e9e56bb57af

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...outube-urged-to-pull-nra-tv-channel/23370182/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ove-nratv-their-streaming-services/368894002/

Amazon, Google, Apple, Roku, SiriusXM and AT&T Directv are all facing pressure to drop NRATV broadcast contracts due to both investment pressure and political pressure by Miami area mass shooting victims support group. This is one of a few cases where the Broadcasting contract happens to have a polarizing backlash and boycott threats.

Amazon, Apple, Roku and YouTube are facing increased calls to drop the National Rifle Association’s TV channel from their streaming services, as backlash against the organization grows following a Florida school shooting last week that killed 17 people.

“The NRA has long ignored its role in promoting gun violence and betrayed the names of good and responsible gun owners,” Chase wrote on the petition’s page. “It’s time to hold them, and their partners, accountable ... a company like Amazon should not be spreading their message.”

Activists rallying around #StopNRAmazon sent the hashtag trending on Twitter Thursday. #DumpNRATV circulated as well, aided by the advocacy group Mom’s Demand Action, which is also calling for the companies to stop offering the channel.

“NRATV is home to the NRA’s most dangerous and violence-inciting propaganda,” Shannon Watts, the group’s founder, said in a release. “It’s time for tech leaders to acknowledge their role in helping the NRA spread this dangerous content and cut it out.”

“We demand that Apple, Amazon, AT&T’s DIRECTV, Google and Roku all dump NRATV once and for all,” she said.

Amazon, Apple and YouTube did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

A Roku spokeswoman told HuffPost the company operates “an open streaming platform ... representing a wide range of topics and viewpoints” and removes channels that violate its content policies. She noted Roku customers have the option of setting a PIN to prevent channels from being downloaded.

Cam Edwards is the host of “Cam & Co.,” which airs live 2-5 p.m. EST on NRATV and midnight EST on SiriusXM Patriot 125. He lives with his family on a small farm near Farmville, Va. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram @camedwards.

Amazon, Google, Apple, Roku, SiriusXM and AT&T Directv are all facing pressure to drop NRATV broadcast contracts due to both investment pressure and political pressure by Miami area mass shooting victims support group.

The story you quote says the pressure is coming from activists, not investors or sponsors. That's a very different thing.

Offering users a PIN to prevent users from seeing a channel is one way to do it.

Years ago I posted some 9/11 coverage of a small market local station onto youtube, either the network or local station wanted me to take it down, so its taken down, there wasn't a lot of views anyways. Years later im trying some video of the same station, I come across a 9/11 truther channel that took the video that I uploaded (they tagged the station and the chances of someone else uploading video from this station at the same time is small) they edited it and put their crap on the video. At the time when I came across it had many times of the views than my original one had, I imagine if its still uploaded to youtube it has many more views than anything else from that station and it's probably not even close.

Cigarettes are legal yet it is also legal for business establishments to prohibit their use inside their businesses.

There are many platforms to express your personal opinions - or, you can create your own and attract your own following. You are then free to decide what topics are appropriate for your platform and who may use it.

There will always be people who want to impose their standards upon others. If you don't agree with a particular standard or exclusion then don't use that platform. Really simple.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom